Cross bolt safeties, who else is annoyed by them?

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by spittinfire, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

2. Swampman

Swampman Active Member

Lawsuits and lawyers have given us these stupid safties.

3. dinger1

dinger1 Member

336 safety

Well i let the kids use my 336y and when they do i like the thought of some extra safety on the gun.

4. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

I like it for loading and unloading the firearm. When I'm hunting I have it off and the firearm in the half-cock position.

5. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

This thread has caused me rethink the safety on my new 94. I figured I could live with it, but I've been carrying a 65 Win 94 for nearly 30 years. It is my go to rifle and I know it like the back of my hand. Having that safety on the Marlin might cause a stupid brain dump moment at a bad time. A saddle ring kit eh? Sounds interesting.

6. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

A much less expensive and easily reversible alternative is a rubber "O" ring. Go to the faucet repair section of any hardware store . They are cheap and come in lots of sizes and thickness , find one that works and get several. It should fit in that groove on the fire side of the safety and be thick enough that the safety can't accidentally get switched to safe.
    Put it on when hunting and remove it when you are done.

7. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

1894...that's down right genius.

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Oops

Guess I didn't look close enough at how that was worded :eek:
    I've NEVER actually done that , I don't even own a rifle with a CBS . I have however seen enough posts by enough folks over the years to believe that what I wrote is defiantly an option for someone that does not want to remove the safety , but worried about inadvertently switching it on while hunting ;)

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

1894...just because you didn't think of it doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Thanks for sharing. I think 3 of my Marlins have the CBS. I never use the safeties...I just pretend they don't exist.

Speaking of good ideas...did you know I invented the internet? No wait a minute...maybe that was Al Gore. Oh well, it's still a good idea no matter who invented it. :D

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth the crossbolt safety never was an issue with me either with or with out :cool:

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

The Defense Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency invented the internet...ARPAnet in December 1969. The message text was the word "login"...hence what we call signing into a computer today.

The things I know...:rolleyes:

12. duster066

The o-ring is a good idea, but I think I want it gone all together so both rifles function the same. But in the mean time I have hundreds of o-rings, so I'll try it out.

13. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

If you find one that fits , please let us know how it works.
    And if you do replace it with a saddle ring , are you gonna get a saddle ring sling to go with it ? I bought a couple of these and they do work well for me.
    In fact the marlin 1894 at the bottom of my pic is wearing one.
    http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Duster , did you get a chance to try it out ? Like I mentioned I never have tried the " O " ring . Would like some feed back if you find one that works , or if it's too much of a PIA to bother with .

15. hp-hobo

hp-hobo Member

Can anyone supply a link or info on the "saddle ring kit"? Can't find anything, anywhere...

16. duster066

No. I've not had a single issue just leaving the safety off. I'm still working out bugs. Discovered yesterday the extractor was poorly fit and barely engaging the rim, and the chamber was very roughly finished. So it failed to extract some heavy 180gr hunting loads. Also the cases are hanging up on the bolt face and failing to slide under the extractor. I refit the extractor, polished the chamber, and knocked the sharp edges off the bolt face today. It is cycling dummy rounds better now. I have another cowboy shoot this Sunday. I hope it doesn't lay down on me there.:(

I do like the gun and I would buy it again, but darn it it's not well made.

17. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Cross Bolt Safety

Just took my new 336 out for the first time today. I guess since this is my first Marlin levergun I can't compare to the pre-cbs guns. I didn't find the safety objectionable. I probably will the first time I drop the hammer and hear a click at the same time I am lined up on ol' Hogzilla or a mossyhorned buck.

My preference has always been a tang safety. Mossberg has one. I wonder why Remlin cant steal the idea from them.

Actually, I don't think about it much. Once using it becomes routine it probably won't matter.

18. DunRanull

DunRanull Member

I hate em and have none on my rifles. Sometimes an old dog doesnt want to learn new tricks. OTOH for newbies and others unfamiliar with half-cock safeties, perhaps it is best.

19. duster066

I've changed my mind on this. I've been using my 94C for hunting this year. It's been nice having the safety while crawling over logs and other hazards in the field. The safety has never been an issue in my cowboy shoots, and I've decided this old dog has learned a new trick. I could, and do on my Win 94, live with out it, but it has not been any problem at all and since it's there I've been using it.

20. dinger1

dinger1 Member

the best thing to do is just put a rubber o-ring around the safety and later on if you need the safety take it off and there you go WA LA !!!!!