Decided to expand my Bullseye shooting

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by SWO1, May 22, 2013.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Congrats SWO1...

Post a pic and a range report soon !!

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

OK, here's the review and range report on the RIA 1911 Tactical 1911 A1 Full Size:

Gun is TIGHT. On initial stripping and cleaning nothing was easy in disassemply. No play what so ever in slide. Gun came WELL oiled. Fit is really good. No visiable tool marks on outside or on bearing parts. There are some on inside of frame and other hidden areas. But not a $1000 gun.

It breaks down just like a standard colt .45. I hadn't done this in quite a few years. Only blew one thing. Tried to align the slide lock lever with lock back notch instead of take down notch.....:eek: Took about 30 sec. to realize that. The full length quide rod is a little tricky to remove vice the standard short one but a quarter turn to left or right and it comes out fine. Re-assembly is also a piece of cake. And yes I did remember to align the barrel link pin in the hole to insert the slide lock pin so the barrel dosnt just fall back out....:p

Oiled it back up and went to the range. Ran 25 rounds thu to start and get use to the gun. Had 3 rounds fail to feed in first 3 mags of 5 rounds. Slide would not fully come forward after ejecting spend round. Assisting the slide forward brought the gun back into battery and it fired fine. The last two mags in the 25 round warm up all fed fine. Trigger has a little creep. I forgot to put the Lyman digital gauge on it to see what the pull was but feels good. Breaks crisp. After the first 25 I put up a new target and from 50' shot a string of 5 two handed. I held a 6 0'clock sight picture. The all black front and read Novak sights with my eyes preclude me from holding dead center on a black bull. After these results I WILL be ordering the adjustable sights with white dots, front and rear. As you see in the pic it shoots on center left/right but 3" low at 50'. I think it would be pretty much good at 25 yds. All in all I think I got my moneys worth and doubt I will out grow it.....;) If anything....better sights, better grips, and of course my own reloads.

Attached Files:

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Nice, very nice! Good shootin too.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Nice I always wanted a 1911

5. SWO1

My wife just said: Bye the way, Bass Pro Shop called while you where at Lowes and said your pistol was ready....:) I told them you would be there when they open tomorrow morning. After 44 years does she know me or what .........;) What a good two days, get both my guns. Really hate to go there on a weekend day....Its a Zoo. I will get there at 9 when the Smith shop opens while I can still get a parking spot within two blocks. And while I'm at it might as well spend an hour or so checking out the goodies. Never know, they might have something.

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Can I go with you??? Lol

7. SWO1

I swung by and honked gumpy, but you must have still been asleep. Got there right at 9, Lot was only half full. Drill and tap job on the H&R 999 with base was only $50. Checked out upstairs. Had some reloading supplies. Very little bullets, mostly rifle and hardly any pistol. Did have powder, although limited. Got a couple more #'s of Unique ($19). Primers where plentiful, limited to 2000, picked up another brick of large pistol, CCI.

Gun racks and cases were FULL. Ammo shelves were well stocked with the exception of .22, .38 and 9mm. Limit of 5 boxes. Enough .223 to last a couple weeks in Afganistan.....:eek: All their Artillary rounds were on clearance, .375, .416, .458, .500, and 9X whatever. In the Exotic gun shop you could pick up a bolt or double rifle to go with them for $12,000 and Up.....:cool: Some in there are in the $30,000+ range. One is marked DONT EVEN ASK !!!

While at Lowes yesterday went by Mega Wally-Mart. Their gun rack was full of ARs. From $667-$1800. Great selection of Long guns with Ammo. Again NO .22, .38 OR 9MM. Looks like .357, .40, 45 has caught back up, at least around here. Always on the shelve. Even .25, .32, and .380.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

That's good lookin' 1911a1 SWO1...good luck with it !

9. SWO1

Went back out with the .45. Put the rest of the 50 box, another and a 50 box of JHP 230 grain thru it, all Win White Box. In first review said I had Fail to feed to start. Well it really wasn't. Its that the slide locks back during firing. Happened again during this session with both JHP and FMJ. Almost every Mag. Looked it up on the RIA Website, couple of things.

Could be hitting the slide catch with my left thumb on recoil - I thought of this during firing....no I am not. Fired a couple of mags one handed, still happend.

Brand of Ammunition (OAL) - Bullet could be hitting the slide catch button. Said to look for brass on the slide catch button on the inside of the Mag well. File it down slightly. To much and it wont lock back on last round. ALL Compatition shooters file it down anyway and don't use the lock back on last round. Custom target guns don't have that function either. No big deal, as I will only shoot target anyway.

Put A DIMPLE in the slide catch lever for the plunger to catch and hold till the last round release pops it out. Think I will do this first and if it doesn't solve the issue will do the file job.

12 year old grandson shot it and Loves it. Kept it inside the black (7 ring) at 10 yards. His reward was policing the brass....:p He didn't think it had any more recoil than the .38, and I don't either.

10. FOUR4D4

Now you have the brass and bought some unique is time for reloading for the 45acp?

11. SWO1

I have TiteGroup for the .45. Unique is for the .38/.357. Still looking for 230 gr bullets. All I have now is 200 gr. Although Unique would probley be better behind the 200s.

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Wonder when the fellas around here will be getting that kind of resupply? Still like hens' teeth on most ammo. They do have a couple of low-priced DPMS M-4s...finally. The Sedalia Mega Wally is run by anti gunner management. Too dumb or just don't give a rat's tail end about the profit that they are giving up in Sporting Goods.

No big deal, but bias clearly exists. :mad: If it were the only option...be worth a nasty gram to Arkansas, but W-M for us is only for cheaper paper products and cat food! Buy everything else from local markets.

13. FOUR4D4

Have you ever wondered why .357magnum cost more than 38 special.I still cant find either around here :mad:

14. SWO1

Same reason they throw the word "tactical" or "Black" or "AR" in front of a rifle and the cost doubles....:rolleyes: A .357 uses the same bullet, powder, case doesn't have a gnats more brass, same primer, but the word "Magnum" makes it worth more. I load the .38 to pert near the same velocity. The .38 rounds I used in Viet Nam had the same results as .357....NO DO OVERS....:cool:

My nephew used to shoot the .300 Win Mag. Then went to the .300 Ultra Mag. Guess it kills Bambi DEADER....at about 20% higher cost, for gun and ammo.

15. FOUR4D4

I apologize about the thread jump and good explanation SW. Carry on

16. SWO1

Its all related four...kinda like my Segway from ammo to rifles in my answer to your question........:D

17. SWO1

Now have 200 rds thur the RIA .45. have filed the slide lock pin THREE TIMES . Still locks with rounds in the Mag. Another problem discovered. Looking at spent brass....They are dented, not subtle dents...sharp, about halfway down the case. Almost every one. I would not reload any of them.

Called RIA. After telling him the problems, No hesitation......took my information and said I would get a shipping label in my E-Mail. 5 minutes later it is here. Said I have 30 days to print/reprint and send it in.

Also asked about the adjustable sights being out of stock for months. Sent me a list of Part #s from Brownells for front and rears (various brands, dots, fiber optics, ect) I can get them, send them in with the slide only, and have RIA install them for $80, guaranteed right on, and they will be covered in their lifetime warrenty along with the gun. The front dove-tail is the same but the rear on the gun is smaller so has to be milled. I can also send in the whole gun and get the same deal along with a FREE TUNE UP. Think I will go the whole gun route. Will wait and get these other two issues fixed then it will be Turkey/deer season, then Winter. Good down time to have it done.