Deer Stands !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I like to be UP...can see a lot more, and better. Also I think a lot safer shooting DOWN. Here are my main 4 stands. They are all located within walking distance of the house and have been really productive over the last 12 years.

First One:
    This is my main one. Its 4X8 fully enclosed. Indoor/outdoor carpet, Cedar outside, Pine tounge&groove inside (painted Camo inside) with Camo drapes. Windows on all four sides that swing up and lock up. Have 2 raised swivel seats and a portable heater. Also have INDOOR PLUMBING......:eek: Well a Piss tube so ya dont have to go outside to take a whizz. Overlooks a natural clearing that has 6 major game trails that converge. Took 7 deer out of this one last year.

Second One:
    This is my oldest grandsons, Carsons portable stand. Put it up last year when he passed his hunters course and can hunt alone. It has a portable top and side curtains for concealment. Its a two-man stand as he has to have the room for his backpack with a weeks worth of rations for a half day hunt......lol. He took a Buck and a Doe out of it last year and I took a button buck from it the last day of black Powder season. It overlooks a mostly open area about 93 yds to the back and 50 yds wide. He shot both of his at about 35 yds in the edge of the brush. I shot the little buck out at 83 in the open.

Third One:
    This is the first portable stand I put up when I first moved here. havnt hunted it in about 5-6 years. I have shot my biggest bucks and does from it. Also lots of turkeys. Have been seeing a HUGE buck in this area this year so will probley get back in in some this year. Its in a really thick stand of BIG trees with a few small open areas. Thats why I like a Flat Shooting, sub .5" gun. Thread it between the limbs.

Forth One:
    This stand I have never used much. It was here when I bought the place. I would have never put it where it is and built it different. The deer I have shot for it were on the fence line in the brush and not in the open. Been think of tearing it down and building another one, but the area isnt as good as a lot of other options.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Real nice stands SW01...

How many feet high is the third one...?

3. SWO1

The third one is 20', with an extension. I got it from Cabelas. Back then it was $99. Now I think its close to $200 with the enclosure, top, and extension.

But it does come with a swivel seat, and padded gun rail. I built a tray for the inside to hold my thurmos, snacks, ect. Only thing I didnt like was the botton is metal mesh. Wind whipped up thru it, so I put in a 3/4" plywood floor, helped a bunch. They also have a FULL enclosure with gun ports for it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Yes sir, very nice stands. I like the first one the best. Just add a coffee pot and you're good to go. And what a blessing to have such a beautiful area to hunt.
    My son has about 4 stands that he bought at Walmart. One is a double which I find to be uncomfortable. It's not really big enough for two full body adults and if you are the only one up there, it has a brace in the middle of the seat and back that is real unpleasant. If you sit to one side or the other, it feels unstable. The single stands have the gun rest and are very nice, plus the rail add a factor of safety.
    Because of my age and lack of stability, I prefer my pop-up ground blind. Besides, it blocks the wind/weather and I can add a heat source if needed.

5. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Interesting , the closest to a stand I use is this with an open door and window in the morning for few mins lol

[​IMG]

6. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

After that it's more like this:

Sometimes a place like this I'll sit a spell , marlin 1936 for reference.

[​IMG]

Hang out near a lil oasis in the snow , marlin 1894 for reference .

[​IMG]

I just can't sit very long , there are rubs to check out and bears I should have been in front of . 1894 again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

PS. Those last 3 pics were all the same day , I had cut those bear tracks on my way out to do a loop around the " oasis " .
    Could'a , should'a , would'a , if'in' I , and all that :rolleyes:.
    I had a good idea where that bear was headed , but didn't think with that lil snow it really was headed for it's den. I'll shorten that loop up by a couple hours if I see that again . Lesson lernt that day. :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Great pics Phil...love the paw print...good size bear.

9. SWO1

Those tree bases look like great spots. The "little house in the woods" is another great idea. I just cant sit on the Cold ground anymore, or take those LONG HIKES thru the timber like I used to. Yogi and BoBo are workin their way north from Arkansas and have been spotted in two bordering countys this year. As of now Missouri has NO BEAR SEASON....Protected Species. One was in a fairly large town about 23 miles from me on a main road headed to the local air port.....maybe tryin to get back to Arkansas....:) another was was in the Missouri Conservation Magizine this month. It was a video shot by a bow hunter of one climbing up his tree stand to check him out......:eek:

10. SWO1

My grandsons stand is one of those Wally-World doubles. And youre right, we both have trouble sitting in it. The tree its on is not the best, but it is the best location. It also is a little unstable on the left side, so he sits on the right. It aint commin down as we have it secured with those 3" wide heavy canvas ty-down straps, 3 of em. But it does have a fold down padded shooting rail. It came with 2 full body harnesses that attach to the tree for added saftey.

And YES...I do have a coffee pot in the Deer-Condo. Its a Coleman Drip that sits on a coleman propane stove. I put in a fold-down shelve just for it. Got to have that Columbian on those chilly days. And with the indoor plumbing I can drink it ALL DAY......:D

11. SWO1

1894, A question......How do you get text under each pic when you have multible ones ??? Ive tried but guess I aint holding my mouth right or sumthin. All my comments show up together at the top.

12. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

big mess

I heard of a guy who never saw a 2 holer before...he stuck a leg in each hole and messed his britches.

13. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

SWO1 , I use photo bucket for my pics . I just copy the ' IMG ' line .

[​IMG]

Paste that where I want the pic in my post .

[​IMG]

Hit enter a couple of times for a space between and can type or post another ' IMG ' line as I go.

Comes out like this :

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how pic posting works for images stored here on the forum . :confused:

14. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Dang , coffee on the keyboard :D:D

15. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Moderators / Admins , I've really kind of derailed SWO1s thread here . If you have a " How - to " thread on picture posting , that one post by me could maybe get moved there ?

16. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1
    So what made the large footprint
    A Bear ?

17. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Sorry 1894
    I called you by the wrong name

18. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

This ? ( Sorry couldn't remember which pic I posted .)

[​IMG]

Bear ? Yep , we just got the nice lil black bears around camp . Black shadows they have been called . Amazing how quiet something fairly good sized can move through the woods.

19. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Bucky maybe you meant in this pic ?
    The big green track to the left of the rifle would be my left hind foot , the big green cut off one at the bottom was my right hind foot .

[​IMG]

20. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Ok , Ive been really rude and hijacked this thread big time .
    Please get back to DEER STANDS !!!!!!

I'll just keep walking by this hole in the ice and if SWO1 is in a gracious mood he'll just keep this up ...

[​IMG]