Did I tell ya?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by straightshooter, Sep 26, 2014.

1. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I HATE SNAKES.
    I was out by my enclosed carport and saw a snake. I jumped back and the snake went under the door. So then a week later I had to take battery out of my p/up which was behind snake door number 1. I looked around but didn't see the snake but I did see his shed snake skin under my truck. About a 4' long 1" diameter skin. LOL I didn't look at the head end to see if it was tapered like a poisonous snake has.
    So yesterday I was going to cover my utility trailer to keep some of the rain off the wood floor. I start to straighten out the bunched up tarp and DANG IT another Snake. I shook the tarp and the snake dropped off the tarp. I don't know where the snake went because I was jumping back the other direction. It wasn't a big snake, maybe 3' and not real big around. But I imagine even smaller snakes have fangs and I was only wearing sandals. Wouldn't you know it some fire ants got my bare feet.
    When I went back to the trailer I took the dog so hopefully the dog would scare the snake away if it was still there. I wonder where I will see the next snake?
    Only good snake is a dead snake IMO.

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

LOL ....... I'll send my mother-in-law out to rid you of your infestation. She hates them also, but aint afraid of em. She carries a small garden hoe with the handle cut off at about 4' and keeps sharp as a razor. Working in her garden or out around the house when she sees one it like one of those chiefs on TV choppin up veggies ........ She goes after em, not many get away.

3. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Yep, those no-shouldered son-of-a-guns! I don't like being around one when I know he's there much less when its a surprise. This is the time of year when they can get bad with the temperature swings from warm to cool.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I hate them I had one short out my central air unit. The dumb ass snake crawled in there and fried itself

5. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Kinda funny to me that so many fear the slithering reptiles ;) Don't kill non-venomous snakes for the pest removal services they provide, but I'm not into playing with them or keeping one as a pet as our son does. Cotton mouths...I waylayed a bunch of them the 12 years we lived in Louisiana. Bellworms (rattlesnakes) do bother me a tad. Got struck at twice with one managing to hang a fang in my jeans for a few seconds. Treat 'em respectfully, dispatch and might enjoy a tasty meal from those sonofaguns!

How's everyone on the 8-legged pests? The mere mention makes my wife very anxious and jumpy! Fear..."nothing but" my backside...her super-human feats to spring out of their way should make any man fearful of getting trampled! Oh the joys of life...

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

If my wife sees a snake, I haveta kill it or she has nightmares. So I killem.

7. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Snakes & Spousal Duties

The fears of your wife with snakes is on par with mine and spiders :eek:

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The bawana came up with a rat snake the other day weed eating. It was about 2' long, a little one. They get BIG here and contrary to their name mainly eat birds. A big one will put the CLAMPS on ya if you Pi$$ him off. Not poisonous as are King snakes either which eat other snakes. I don't kill any of them unless they are around the house and venomous. An odd law in Missouri, its against the law to kill snakes ...... :rolleyes:

None of the grandkids are afraid of any snake, lizard or other critter. But let a spider be on the property ....... THEY SCATTER ........ :D My daughter has a fear of Crickets ..... don't know where that came from.

9. LT67

LT67 Active Member

Lol.... I see quite a few Eastern King and Black Racer snakes where I hunt. They're not poisonous, so they get a pass. They also eat poisonous snakes. Funny how I've never seen a poisonous snake out there....

10. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I seen some bigguns back at FT Leonardwood,Misery, I can concurr with SWO1

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I'm OK with snakes but I like to know when they are around. My wife has a serious fear of them. She can't even look at one on TV.
    We have 3 poisonous snakes in OHIO and they are seldom seen. Timber Rattlers, Water Moccasin & Coral Snakes.
    However, I DON'T LIKE SPIDERS.
    Don't know about your area but this has been a good year for spiders around here. They are everywhere, and big ones to boot. We have Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders to be concerned about.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  12. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Reptiles any kind :eek:

13. Mauserhooked

We have had a bad year for Black Widow spiders this year as well. I always put my leather gloves on when doing anything outside - better to be safe than sorry. You never know when your fingers and a Black Widow will try to occupy the same space. Y'all be careful out there......

14. straightshooter

I had a delivery in the Ark woods up past the Indian reservation a long time ago. I was going down the country roads at night and I was seeing big blobs of something all over the roadway. When I got to the destination I asked what the blobs were. The guy said they were tarantulas that come onto the road for the heat. The road was covered with the huge spiders. It was like something out of a sci-fi movie.
    LOL I will take Texas fire ants over them spiders.

15. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

We killed a Copperhead in the women's bathroom at work this morning! Kinda broke the same old routine up for a change.

16. Mauserhooked

I used to travel Highway 7 between Hot Springs and Russellville when I was going to Arkansas Tech University. About this time of the year you could see literally thousands of tarantulas (big ones) crossing the highway in their annual migration. Never figured out where they were going - they would be going in each direction......

17. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I don't like snakes - especially water snakes! The summer when I was 12 yrs old, it was particularly hot and humid and it seemed that their population absolutely boomed along the run we liked to fish. The were fat, aggressive, and just plain nasty. They had no fear of us, had a nasty bite, and seemed to take great offense when came down to fish. It got so bad, nobody would go down to the creek without their .22s. Regarding spiders, this summer seems to be real good for them here in Maryland with more black widows and brown recluses in places they used to be pretty rare.

18. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Shooter...just for you and others that need a uplift on this subject :eek:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJVA6pKWpw[/ame]

19. straightshooter

Where is the girl? I will give her a flower not a frog, spider or snake.
    I was up on Lake Conroe years ago with my wife and we were in a little 7' johnboat with a 5 hp outboard. We were back by some of the outer edges near the woods and I headed away from there asap. There must have been a dozen cotton mouths going across the water with their heads about a foot above the water. Snakes love being where they can get to cover real quick. That lagoon or whatever you want to call it was just perfect for them.
    A storm blew in real quick and before I could get the motor started we were blown and pushed almost onto shore near where we saw the snakes. I had to get out and push us away from shore because it was to shallow to engage the prop. Let me tell you a little johnboat is not fun when a storm comes in real quick. I think we were the last ones off the lake since that little 5hp wasn't hardly doing squat against the waves and the wind. I sold the little boat and haven't even been back to that lake since.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  20. Mauserhooked

You haven't lived until you get a cotton mouth caught up in a trolling motor prop. Definitely adds to their already bad disposition....