Marlin Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have had this for over 25 years yet to shot it.

CVA Hawkins 50 caliber
Just wondering, do you still have the owners manual? I tried to send a PDF file but it is too big. I can email it if you give me your addy.

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Oh wow I spelled Hawken wrong,Must be them old maids from back in my school days that never asked me to the SADIE HAWKINS dance.They must have thought I would have said no,Oh Well I bet they are eating their hearts out now and kicking themselves.LOL

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh wow I spelled Hawken wrong,Must be them old maids from back in my school days that never asked me to the SADIE HAWKINS dance.They must have thought I would have said no,Oh Well I bet they are eating their hearts out now and kicking themselves.LOL
I got asked to one of them down in MO but never knew what it was. I turned down the invite cause..."I ain't gonna dress up like some GURL!"

I think some of the guys told me wrong...

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well done Mate.
So when you come to Oz bring it with you !
Wanna try it on Wombats

Cheers
Bucky
Wombats heck...I will use it on a sandbar...and shoot a crockigator.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I have e everything for it I should get one of the nipple wrench/pick.
If you have to order replacement nipples make sure you get the right ones. The Traditions nipples are metric. I think the CVA are interchangeable. Trackofthewolf.com ; Possibleshop.com; JedediahStarr.com are 3 good dealers. October country too. I think Track may be easiest to use to get the right one.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

The part number is on the right side, but each style has its own order button on the right.

The nipple on the gun is a standard. It will need a standard size nipple wrench. The Musket nipple needs a Musket nipple wrench. Musket caps are hard to find and expensive to ship. The caps require Haz Mat Fees be paid. Most sporting stores handle #10 or 11 caps. Both work. 11s are usually for rifles but I also use 10s, which are generally for pistols. Musket caps may not be available or if they are most times you will find re-enactment caps which are not as powerful and hot as full strength musket caps. The re-enactment caps may not fully ignite the powder. The drum type bolster installed is the reason. It is a long 90 degree angle, even though it is filled with powder, and makes anything but a hot cap iffy. I wouldn't mess with them.

Just get a tin of 100 #11s or 10s and some 2f powder to start. Start easy. That brass butt plate may be a tight curve and may pinch a bit. Don't skip the manual. Read all about it first then go have fun.

Below is the type you need. You need the standard. Standard is a smaller size for the nipple. It is a CVA-S.

Nipple, 6-1mm metric thread, for CVA rifles and shotguns, Traditions, Jukar, and other Spanish mfg. guns, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel
  • Cone length: 0.440"
  • Thread journal length: 0.195"
  • Overall length: 0.635"
  • Diameter of base: 0.307"

Part Number: CVA-S Availability: Price: $4.99 Order Quantity:

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Necessary item for sure. Also, if you do not have it already, anti seize grease for the nipple and clean out screw. Looks like you have a barrel type bolster; make sure to turn out the cleanout screw before removing the nipple, then tighten it back in after resetting the nipple. I have stripped nipple threads by forgetting to do that.
That's a good point Hombre. about the clean out screw. I'm sure a lot of people have made this mistake

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's a good point Hombre. about the clean out screw. I'm sure a lot of people have made this mistake.
Not a bad idea also to clean the cleanout screw after firing. Then dab some anti-seize grease on those threads too. I will be happy to hear how you do with this new/old rifle. I don't know if you have experience with muzzleloaders so I just add something more as I think of it. Most muzzleloading these days is with modern inlines. These older sidelocks are inherently more accurate and there are only a few projectiles you must mess with.

Of course now you are committed to showing your results on paper. :confused:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.