Five Reasons Why the Marlin 336 is the Best Lever-Action Gun

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by FOUR4D4, May 10, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Great article.

He made some good points, but I love the top ejection for levers. Keeps me from having to by lefty models.

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That is a good read. Thanks for posting it. I agree on all points.
    BUT: I only need one reason, - I Like Them!!
    And, in the area where I live, they are more than adequate for any hunting trip.

Grey

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I really like the feel of pistol grip stocks and being able to use a scope. Anybody who says you don't need no stinking scope on a lever gun has never shot a .308 Marlin Express.

5. MarkAD

MarkAD Member

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Express.

6. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Good read. My family have been Winchester people since Oliver made his first rifle. After buying my first Marlin, I have to wonder why?

7. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

I wish I could comment on the article but apparently their server is down at the moment. Maybe it will be available while I'm in my home office hiding from the last day of heat/humidity for the week.

As far as the 336's place at the top of the heap, I concur. I have not owned a Winchester but have shot one of their 94s in .30-30. My first and only scope eye incident may have tainted my opinion of Winchesters but I'm sure that's my fault. :eek:

I own a Winnie clone from Rossi in 45LC that I enjoy shooting. My only complaint on the design is the spent brass is hard to find in the grass and weeds when I shoot it in the back yard.

Pistol grip stocks are fine if they work for you, which seems to be most of the lever action shooting population. They just don't fit my style. All our levers in the cabinet are straight stocked. That's why my 336 is a Texan model in .30-30 but it's still a 336. It does have a scope on it but with QD rings and well set up backup irons.

FWIW - scopes are like bras, they can be useful but most of the time they just get in the way. :cool:

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Link didn't work for me either today .
    My opinion is it no different than a ford / chevy post.
    The first deer sized rifle I had was a marlin. A gift from my Dad back in the early '70s when I was maybe 9 years old. I now have 3 , they all shoulder , point , and bang, the same. Just natural ,as that is what I started with. The wrenchesters just feel different enough to me that I prefer the marlins.
    If close to 40 years ago my first lever gun was a wrenchester I'd likely feel the same way for them. :)

9. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It took a little while but I managed to pull it up.

10. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

It worked for me about an hour ago. Nice article.

11. PackinPreacher

PackinPreacher Well-Known Member

Or they're not in their 7th decade of life. :rolleyes:

12. spittinfire

spittinfire Member

I have to agree with much of what he said. Plus I just love Marlins.

13. FOUR4D4

My Marlin 336 and Marlin 444S are easier to clean & maintain than my Winchester 94's :cool:

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Thanks for posting Four4D4 !!

Don't own a Marlin Lever Action yet...but when I do, it will be in a large caliber fer sure !!

These are my only two at the moment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  15. Trez

Trez Member

I think the Winchester 1895 is the best... What other Lever can be reloaded with stripper clips and mount a bayonet?? :p

16. aka

aka Well-Known Member

worked for me.

I agree about taking them down too. Screwdriver for the Marlin. A engineering degree and a tool shed for the Win'94. I have a friens shoots his Marlin left handed he does not have a problem with brass.

17. FOUR4D4

The Marlin weighs a little more but kicks a little less:D

18. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

God I love your collection! That Ranch Hand Is BEAUTIFUL!!!

19. JD_GaBoy

JD_GaBoy New Member

A buddy of mine has a marlin 30-30 and it is awesome!

20. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013