Game Camera is busy !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Went out to check the critter cam this morning.....IT WAS DEAD. Only 8 days old and would not run, or reboot. Quit taking pictures @ 2030 on the night of the 11th, while snapping pics of 3 deer.....:mad:

Called Moultire.....Tech had me do a Hard Boot....remove the battries, hold the power button, stick one leg in the air while praying under your breath for 45 seconds. Reinsert battries.....turn back on......Would not revive !! He said to send it in and they would check it out and if deemed would FIX or replace. I said NO THANKS, didn't like it anyway, trigger speed was to slow and only reset after 1 MINUTE.....GEEEZ.

I took it back to Wal-Mart who made it good, no questions asked. I got another Wildgame for $2 more with a faster trigger, and resets after 15 seconds. Also 10 ft futher sensor distance. Should have got that one in the first place. I have 2 others that have been going for over 2 years now. they are made in China also, but in a different Providence, I think....LOL. When it went feet in the air I still have the 8Pt hanging around but have picked up another Doe with fawn. The Possums are multiplying, really working the apple pile. Yesterday morning, early I heard the Yotes back there, they must be working the Possums hard.....:cool:

2. I have a stealth cam and it can be pretty harsh on batteries...most of my issues have been solved with a new batch of AA's...your issues sounded a little more serious

3. SWO1

Checked the critter cam yesterday afternoon after 4 days.....Had about 8 pics....a couple when I set it.....a few in between (just trees and brush)....and a couple when I changed SD cards. Otherwise...NOTHING, not even coons, possiums at night, no squirrels, crows, and of course no deer..... :confused: I thought that was strange. I have been seeing as many a 4 in a group around the place in that time frame. Decided to go out this morning and sit in the deer stand awhile, took the Mossy 835 just in case a stray Turkey came by. May have a clue as to why no activity at that spot.

I got there a little before 8, partly sunny, cool and crisp. No birds, no squirrels, heard 1 crow off in the distance. After about an hour and half noticed in back of the clearing what looked like a broken off tree trunk just out in the edge of the brush about 100 yds back. I've been hunting the same spot for 12 years and I says to myself.....self...there aint no tree there to break off. It looks about 3' tall, dark, and the longer I look at it the more I KNOW threre isn't a tree trunk in that spot....and besides why did it take that long to notice it ? Of course the longer you stare at something the more it looks like something.....know what I mean. By this time I have myself convinced I can make out a head with what is cat like ears. What seems like 20 minutes what really was only a couple I decide to give a few yelps on the turkey call. I look down and pick up the call and when I look back up....... ITS GONE !! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a BobCat..... from that distance, not big enough. My game camera is pointed at a different angle, away from that spot so unless whatever it was comes from a different direction or crosses the clearing there will be no pic. If it was a bigger cat they will sit out on the edges of the clearings in ambush anyway.

I did jack out the turkey loads and put in the 3 00 bucks I always carry and went down there to have a look. Didn't see any tracks or sign. The floor is covered in leaves anyway. Another INTERESTING day in the woods. Hopefully I will have something on the camera next changeover, end of the week.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

You think it could have been coyote?

5. SWO1

Maybe ?? But I really don't think so. A stray black or dark colored dog possibly. I don't think there is one in the area that belongs here. There is a little Beagel and Doschound that run around sometimes but I know where they live. On going down there the brush is about 2-2.5' high at that spot and it was above it by a good foot. An the brush isn't thick and I could see it was solid all the way to the ground, like it was sitting....couldn't make out any legs or tail. Its been a few years but there was a Cougar here once, about 50 yards from the house. And right after we moved here my wife said when hanging out clothes on the line she saw a large black cat in back of the house, bound from out of the back of the yard into the woods. About 4 years ago a police officer was called to a house in downtown Springfield about a LARGE animal in the back yard. He just strolled into the back AND QUICKLY retreated to his car, retrieved his shotgun and killed it. Unable to identify it they took it to the St. Louis Zoo and it was identified as a BLACK LEOPARD. And there is the possibility it was a small bear. Sightings are becoming more frequent just one county over east and south. There is open season on em just 200 miles south in Arkansas.

6. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

There's been stories around here for years about sightings of large black cats, which the locals call panthers. The Dept. of Wildlife says they are no such thing around here, but the sightings still crop up from time to time.

7. SWO1

Same here. Much like the denial of the Cougar in SW Missouri. Then they started showing up on game cameras and one was captured in a live trap this year. Now their story is they are lone males traveling thru, no breeding population. Doing some research on large black cats and the Black panther is actually a mutant Jajuar in Mexico/South America, and a Mutant Leopard in Africa. The same bioligists say the same condition can occur in the American Cougar but as yet has not been "officially" confirmed. What I observed, I don't know, just that I did see something that was there and then it wasn't. I do have a size reference for where it was at. Bigger than a bread box, Dark colored.

8. SWO1

Well I had just come out of the shower. My daughters boy friend comes over and wants to borrow a gun. Says they heard an awful squawling out back of her house. He took his ruger Single Six with CCI mini-mags and a flashlight to check it out. Said it was the BIGGEST CAT he had ever seen. Looked like a Tabby but HUGE. Popped him all six times......last two when he was down between the eyes. HE WOULDNT DIE.....:eek: I gave him the Mossey 20 with two 3" #6 turkey loads. Heard two shots. He came back. I need at least one more he says. I give him the home Def Mossey 12 and load 6 rounds of 3.5" BBs. I hear one more shot. He and my daughter bring back the gun. They said when he held it up by the hind legs, hes at least 6' tall, he had to use both arms, lifted it high as he could and it still drug its head on the ground. Its about 100 yards out back in the woods. Cold and dark and Im already dressed (or undressed) for the rack. I might go back and check it out tomorrow. My mystery sighting from the other day may be solved ???? They both say its a domestic Tom cat.....just BIG. He's a local boy and knows what hes looking at.

9. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

If you go back there tomorrow, take your camera and get a pic.

10. SWO1

I had em go and show me where they dumped the cat. Hes just a BIG FERAL TOM. A dark tabby. Measured him....camera batterys were dead, 3' streatched out back legs to head. A tough ole boy, took 6 CCI mini-mags, 2 3" 20 ga #6 Turkey loads, and a 3.5" 12ga BB that about took off his head at the neck. Maybe it was what I saw at the deer stand, but I don't think so.

11. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Sounds like what you saw at the deer stand was bigger than that.

12. SWO1

Checked the critter cam again this morning. The deer are back. Have 3 does at a time now. Every morning and evening. Was one there this morning in the Fog. But no bucks, not at this spot anyway. Not to say they arnt hanging back in the brush. Don't think the rut has started yet.

Attached Files:

13. SWO1

Went up to the deer stand yesterday afternoon at 1600. Took the rifle and wanted to see from what direction they were coming into the clearing from. Looking at the Pics from the camera looks like they are coming up out of the draw from the North.

At 1820 two does walked out, from the North, Just past my 80 yard tree. One came out and gave me a good shot. The other one hung back and didn't come all the way out. She stayed about 2 minutes. Enough time to shoulder the gun, get a good sight picture. I would have had a great neck shot. She was quartered away some and a vital shot whould have went in behind the left shoulder and exited right chest. They walked off back in the same direction they came from, after about 2 minutes. I had seen what I had come for. Now I need to go early in the morning and observe the same thing. Youth season starts Saturday for 2 early days. My wife and grand daughter on the way home 15 minutes later had to wait for a group of 3 does to cross the road just about 40 acres south. They were crossing from the West to my hunting side of the Property on the East side.

14. Had to add these recent photos from my cam:

Nice mulie in the background with a whitetail taking a closeup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  15. SWO1

You got some good looking animals out there beartooth. Really a difference between most of the ones in this area. We don't have field crops for em to graze on, just pasture grass. Even the yote is better lookin than ours......LOL.

16. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Here are some from mine......

image-1483388306.jpg

image-731235913.jpg

image-3148821618.jpg

image-2995798371.jpg

17. yeah, those deer can't resist alfalfa and oats...can't blame them when prairie grasses are the only other option. Certainly never caught a turkey on my camera though, not many of them around where I live, but I did catch some chukars on it the other day.

18. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

This was on critter cam yesterday......

image-1219311552.jpg

Just kidding, Happy Halloween.

19. [​IMG]

Not much activity on this thread, so I had to add a new photo.

Merry Christmas

20. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Awesome Mate
    I gotta get one someday !