Gettin ready for Deer season

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Saw two at 0730, right where the buck was yesterday. First one thru was a doe. She stopped long enough for me see that. As I was looking trying to see which way she turned, if she did, another one bounded across behind her. Didnt get a real good look at that one so dont know what it was. All I saw was the white tail in the air. Lots of shots around me, but nothing real close. Stayed till about 1600, by then I was tired so came in. Maybe tomorrow.

lingr, SHOOTER13 and squirrelhunter like this.
  2. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Where the deer at Frank?

3. SWO1

Well this morning didnt start very good. I was running late getting up to the stand. Warm (50 deg) with a light mist falling. I got to the stand around 6 and settled in. On opening my back pack I discovered I had forgotten to put my thurmos of coffee in ....:( Only had one cup before going up so I NEEDED MORE. I climbed back down and went to the house to get it. Got back at 0635. Figured I had scared whatever was there away. I poured a cup and looked back up. One was walking right toward me. It stopped about 30 yards out and was munching on some bush leaves. I put the scope up and saw it was a button buck, not big, but good anyway. He didnt seem to be in a hurry to leave so I continued to look around. After about 5 minutes I decided a sure batch of venison didnt need passing up. He was head on to me 30 yards and 20 below. I held the crosshairs right at the base of his neck. On the shot he took off down a brush hogged lane to the south. When he took off another 2 that were behind him took off also in the same direction. I never saw them .....lol

I finished the coffee I had just poured and then went down. At the spot I shot him, NO BLOOD. But I did find some pieces of hide with white hair. I walked about 10 yards down the lane and found more skin/hair but still no blood. Started to think maybe I just grazed him. After about 80 yards the lane took a turn right, around some brush and trees and continued up the hill. There I found blood, LOTS OF IT. Another 20 yards and there he lay.
    Now this is hard to believe, but I had taken out the ENTIRE left rib cage on the exit side. All his innards were hanging out. I still cant believe he went that far and leaving no blood trail for 80 yards.

I went back to the stand and sat down for more coffee. At 0800 the buck came by again. Same place I had seen him the two days prior. But again not stopping long enough for a shot. At 0900 I went back down and field dressed him.

I already have it at the processor. I was #113 since Sat. morning. Since he had no spike longer than 3" had to tag him as "antlerless". Only allowed 1 so now its the buck or nothing more.

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Congratulations Frank, good job! Be diligent, that buck you’re seeing will make a mistake. Then you got him.

SHOOTER13 and squirrelhunter like this.
  5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

That's the way it is here this year. Our State has bonus antlerless quotas for each County and ours has been 2 for over a decade but this year we're only allowed 1. We can get 2 more antlerless with archery and another with muzzle loader but only 1 with firearm and only 1 antlered total for the year,all seasons combined. Actually the bonus anterless can be used any season from firearms season on.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SWO1

Quotas here go by county. My county (Dallas) for a long time was 1 antlered and 2 antleress for firearm. Last 2 years they reduced the antlerless to only 1. A couple countys around me its 2. I could go over there and take another 1. A lot of countys require an antlered deer to have 4 points on one side at least 1" long. Here its 1 spike at least 3".

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. squirrelhunter

That sounds just like around here except the whole State is 1 spike at least 3" long. A lot of Counties in the Southern part of the State have quotas of 8 and also have reduction zones where you can get more without it counting against the quota,I believe it matches the quota but not sure,don't remember since I've never a done it.

SWO1 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Well...at least ya got one for the freezer Frank !!

The buck will come back tomorrow...

squirrelhunter likes this.
  9. SWO1

If someone else dont get him I think he will. He has been around most all fall. He is here in the mornings. My brother-in-law sees one (sounds like him) across the road in the evenings. I think he beds down over there and makes a tour of his territory during the day. I am not out today, but will go tomorrow morning again. But he didnt get old and big by being careless. From what we both have seen he dosnt stop in open spots for more than a few seconds, just moves thru to the brush and thick timber. He has got a better look at him than me. He thinks hes at least 12 points, maybe more. Lots of does here and over there, so hes fat and happy around here.

10. SHOOTER13

Fat and Happy gets 'em in your freezer...

Good Hunting Pard...!!

11. SWO1

Got an e-mail from my processor this morning. They "ARE NOT" taking in anymore deer this season (the foreseeable future anyway). So I may not go out anymore. One is enough anyway for me, since Im the only one that eats it here. After 7 days, my brother-in-law finally got a doe this morning. I went down last evening and gave him all my casings and mix for sticks and jerky. He was starting to worry. My neighbor to the south and his son have shot twice last two mornings. Havnt talked to them so dont know if they have any. My cousin next county over has two, with cross-bow, hes done but his wife hunts also.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  12. SHOOTER13

1 in the freezer is better than two on the hoof Frank !!

Most of my deer is usually made into ground meat for meatloafs, meatballs, and chili...

the rest I donate to needy families that the butcher knows in the area...so, I'm happy with that.

Gumpy and SWO1 like this.
  13. SWO1

Thought about going out this morning. At 0730 it was 71. Took my grand daughter to school for a weekend day function. Got back and started to get ready. they had forecast a cold front in by 8. It was right on time. within an hour it had dropped to 43 with rain. Needless to say Im still home ..LOL.

squirrelhunter and SHOOTER13 like this.
  14. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Got my gear set out and ready to try it in the morning. Opening day was today, but with the rain and high winds, I didn’t attempt it. Calling for the temp to be 37 degrees with the wind dying down. Sure hope so, it’s howling right now.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. SHOOTER13

Yea lingr...Today was NOT a day to be out there in a tree...those winds are BRUTAL today !!

16. SWO1

My brother-in-law took a nice 8 pt this morning. Its not the buck that has been going back and forth between me and him tho. that one has a much wider rack and larger. This one is a young buck maybe 3 years or so, but nice size none the less. He had lots of fat and should be good and tender. it was around 40 deg and sunny but the wind had died down a lot from yesterday

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  17. squirrelhunter

I got this doe yesterday. Shot right behind the left shoulder as she was quartering toward me, even though I'd aimed for the front of the shoulder :rolleyes:,and she ran probably 200 yards before piling up in the neighbors field. Her left lung and stomach was like hamburger but there was no exit would,I'm thinking of changing ammo like to the 180g Federal Power Shok I have.

[​IMG]

SHOOTER13, lingr and SWO1 like this.
  18. SWO1

Way to go Jerry

squirrelhunter likes this.
  19. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

20. squirrelhunter