Glenfield-Marlin M60 Inbound

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by marlin22nut, Jul 23, 2017.

1. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

When I made an online auction bid last week for a 1975 Model 60 I doubted that it would win, but it did. Only bidder on this 60! Rifle should arrive Friday. This one has the Squirrel on the stock which is neat and wondering about the history on the squirrel.

Not much I could find on Google. I would appreciate any info on years M60s were made with the squirrel, etc. Also, were Glenfield-Marlins made without the Squirrel?

Thanks to all for your feedback.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Glad to hear you won! Several people on here have the squirrel. If I recall, there was a thread. Lemme look!

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Yep. Go to search and type in "model 60 squirrel" and numerous threads pop up.

4. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

M60

The rifle arrived and is in great condition, internal and external. The butt plate does not have MARLIN stamped on it, so a replacement?

Hoping to get it cleaned up and to the range soon!

5. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

UPDATE: Photos

The rifle turned out to be a 1977. Here a few photos of parts while in the cleaning process. If it shoots as good as it looks I will be very pleased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  6. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

More Photos

A few more photos.

Attached Files:

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Nice Score...!!

Does it have the plastic "micro-grooved barrel bulls eye" inlet in to the stock...!?

My "Squirrel" { circa 1980 }

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scope is a cheap one that came with it...and I have since removed it, as I prefer open iron sights when shooting.

Also own another Marlin...a bolt action in .22 short, long, and long rifle:

My "Bulls Eye" { circa 1960 }

[​IMG]

8. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

No Bullseye on the Glenfield Marlin. This one came with a very cheap Bushnell scope with lenses fogged. Useless.

Like your stock color over mine.

9. SHOOTER13

Thanks...it looked almost NIB when my friend gifted it to me for helping him move to his new digs...claiming he grew up using it. I refused the gesture, but he insisted.

Did you get yours to the range yet...?

( The Marlins really are tack drivers... )

10. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

Going to the range TODAY!

Went and returned a bit frustrated! M60 would not load ammo, not a single round. Rifle was cleaned so I do not think dirt and grime are the culprits. From a total newbies observation, it appears that the cartridge is not high enough for the carriage bolt to move it into the charge hole. Could this FTL be caused by a weak spring or something else?

Also, my 99M1 is having feeding issues. The cartridges are not aligned correctly and the carriage bolt is slamming them into the charge area bending the bullets. Seems like the cartridge if too far left. The M99 has a new recoil spring, could the new spring coupled with the older parts be the problem or maybe a bad loader?

Any suggestions on how to correct these two feeding issues are much needed and appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  11. SHOOTER13

12. SHOOTER13

OK...

#1...The M60 FTL problem could be a spring problem...trouble is I'm a hands on technician...and I would need to see and feel the problem first hand...

#2...The Model 99m1 problem...again feeding from a tubular magazine...it could be anything...springs usually the culprit.

You took them both apart from what I gather by the pictures above...did you see any excessive wear on any parts...

If I had detail stripped mine, new springs would have been a must. How's the tubular magazine springs on both ?

13. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

Thanks Shooter13!

The tube springs seem Ok. I am reading everything on FTL issues and watching videos. I plan to pull the firing system on each and compare them. See if I notice anything different between the two; one made in '76 the other in '77. Then I plan to take apart the firing systems. Likely replace springs at that time at a mimimum.

14. SHOOTER13

Sorry I could not help further...like I said...seeing and feeling what's going on is how would know how to proceed.

15. marlin22nut

marlin22nut Member

Update

Removed the firing systems from each rifle(M60 and 99M1). Disassembled the 99s using online guidance from Arrowdodger. Both the lifter and feedthroat were very worn compared to the M60. Replaced both worn parts as well as the buffer(had a new one on hand).

Parts on the M60 look great so maybe the tube spring is causing the feeding problem. Will keep exploring solutions until she is feeding correctly.

So back to the range to check out the M99A-1.