Marlin Forums banner

Glenfield model 60 firing issue

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  austin6137 
#1 ·
Hello I'm new here. I joined a few years ago and haven't posted anything till now. I recently recieved a glenfield/ marlin model 60 as part of a trade from an older gentleman. This is my first rifle, I don't really know much about them. But it looked like it wasn't used much and seems in good shape at least to me. Anyway today I took it up to my uncles to try it out. I put about 5-6 rounds into it, and my uncle wanted to shoot it first so I left him. Well he pulled the charging handle back and left it snap back, he took aim and pulled the trigger "click" but no bang. He cycled the bolt again clicked and nothing, he cycled the bolt again and left it snap back then it fired. I don't believe he hit the trigger cause his hand wasn't near it, but it did eject the empty round. After that I took out the remaining rounds and put it back in the case. My uncle said it wasn't safe, but I'd like to know what would cause this, could it have just been a fluke. But regardless would a gunsmith charge a lot to look at it cause I realize these are fairly cheap and not worth sticking a lot on money into. Also please forgive my lack of proper terminology I'm more into Jeeps then guns

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a suggestion. I would Google "cleaning the Model 60". There are good step by step videos on stripping and cleaning your rifle. Give it a good cleaning and then give it another try in a safe, controlled environment. If you work on Jeeps, you should have no problem field stripping the rifle. Then let us know how it goes.

#3 ·
Welcome (back). First of all, take it apart and clean it. I've purchased some that were so cruded up, the bolt wouldn't lock back. As far as the unintended discharge, one thing I can think of is that the firing pin stayed forward due to crud. The action can be taken all the way apart. There are some YouTube videos on it. So my best advice is to completely disassemble and clean it. It looks in good shape, nice squirrel stock and a vintage scope. It can be fixed.

#4 ·
Just a suggestion. I would Google "cleaning the Model 60". There are good step by step videos on stripping and cleaning your rifle. Give it a good cleaning and then give it another try in a safe, controlled environment. If you work on Jeeps, you should have no problem field stripping the rifle. Then let us know how it goes.
Beat me to it, the dog had to go out, so it took me about 10 minutes to finish my little post.

#5 ·
I actually did clean it. I watched a video on YouTube it was fairly cruddy the guy said it sat in his gun cabinet for 15 years and with the amount of dust I believed it. Perhaps I missed some dirt, I'll clean it again. I have a buddy that's fair knowledgeable on guns coming by tomorrow and he's gonna look it over then we're gonna take it to the range and try it again.

Thanks guys I'll keep you informed

#6 ·
Like said before sometimes that after being reassembled, the stock has to be in a certain position for the bolt to operate correctly.

#7 ·
I took it apart again to clean it, and I found that the firing pin was not moving freely. So I removed the pin that holds the firing pin and got the firing pin free. I cleaned the groove that the firing pin sits I and oiled it and reassembled it and the pin seems to move as it should. I might go fire it later today

#10 ·
I took it apart again to clean it, and I found that the firing pin was not moving freely. So I removed the pin that holds the firing pin and got the firing pin free. I cleaned the groove that the firing pin sits I and oiled it and reassembled it and the pin seems to move as it should. I might go fire it later today
Hopefully, that will take of any unintended discharges. Be careful on the amount of oil you use, too much will just attract the crud back in there. This is how I bought it, bolt wouldn't even lock back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.