Goin fishen tomorrow !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The youngest grandson has been aggravating me to go. I told him the boat needed cleaning up first. So yesterday he got out and worked and got it ready. My brother has been wanting to go also. So we will head out in the morning. Gonna be 90 and sunny. Brother-in-law went yesterday and did good.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Kinda warm for fishing here. Good Luck SW

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Wishing you much success. Whatever you do, enjoy the day. Let us know how many you catch. If your grandson is anything like my eldest granddaughter, he'll catch 3 to your 1. LOL

4. SWO1

You were about right on greyhawk ...... Cameron boated 10, me 4, and my brother 2. 10 good sized large mouth bass, and 5 Crappie, and a catfish. We troll 2" crank baits. Don't catch as many crappie as jig or minnow fishing but they are all biggins. Cameron had the biggest bass at 25". I caught a big ole catfish which was the biggest of all. Had to throw about 8 back as bass have to be 13". The smallest one we kept was 15.5" Also threw back 4 Drum. A great day and will eat well tomorrow night. they are cleaned and will have cole slaw, fried taters and cornbread.

Cameron was gonna take pics at the lake, but 10 minutes before getting there he decided his battery didn't have enough Umph. Of course no time to charge it up. So here is a pic of Cameron holding up his Big Bass, and my BIGGER catfish ......:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

6. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Where?

Pomme or ??? Good mess of fish that'll fill some bellies with the fix'ns! Got ignition/run troubles with my buddy's little 4-stroke 10hp engine. Will try fresh 93 Octane and replace the 2 plugs. Fishing beats doing a lot of things...even if it is hot and a nice mess soothers any complaints the weather brings.

7. SWO1

Yep Spoon, was at Lake Pomme De Terre. On a wendsday bout had the whole place to ourselves. It was Hot, sunny, but trolling with the breeze we kept comfortable.

For the little motor, try some SeaFoam in the gas. The 40 Yamaha I got with my boat my brother-in-law was told by 2 different mechanics that the Carbs would have to be pulled and worked on. It didn't want to run either. A tank full (6 gal ) with SeaFoam and its been purring like a kitten for 3 years now. Put it in every tank along with the Tractor and other gas motors.

8. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

I knew I shoulda plopped for a can while I was picking up some other fluids today. Guess tomorrow as good as any. THANKS!

9. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Using ethanol free gas helps too. Carbs on smaller engines seem to gum up pretty bad when they set with ethanol gas in them.

10. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Dealing with small engines presents quite a conundrum. What to do???
    I am a firm believer in SeaFoam. Pretty good stuff.

I've tried Sta Bil but even that doesn't work for long term storage.
    Although it is a subject for debate, I've resorted to draining any left over gas and starting the engine until it runs the carb dry. Seems to work for me although some claim that this technique leads to carburetor gasket failure due to them drying out??
    All that I know for sure is that I've became a "slave" to having too many small engine type labor savers. LOL :p

11. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

The 'burn em dry' routine was down with all our two-cycles but since this isn't mine and a four stroke...wondering about the difference in getting one primed on the next trip? Should be the same and as for drying out...eventually all gaskets are going to breakdown. Being raised in the NM desert...we never suffered a problem burning all the fuel out of a motor...but those were the days of leaded gas! Don't you wish the new improved stuff cost the same :rolleyes:

StaBil seems to have worked for me. There's been 5 gallons in my lawn gas jug that I purchased in September, even after the miserable (I really dislike cold anymore) weather we had tis past winter. Whatever works. Tiller's running on that gas now, 93 octane w/ZERO Ethanol. Got the new plugs from West Marine yesterday. Yamaha's manual shows gap to be .035-.039. The owner had put in plugs with the factory ~.020 gap right out of the box. That's got to make a big difference by its lonesome.

My Daughter (USAF Major) just finished Air Command and Staff College after 11 months at Montgomery AL and she'll be coming in today for dinner this afternoon. Maybe, weather permitting, Tuesday, I'll tote this rig to a lake and do some prospecting for finned vittles? Can't go tomorrow...Momma'd get a bit miffed on our Anniversary...unless she wants to go with me...that's a angle to try! :D They've got a pretty decent BBQ joint in Warsaw and I guess we could always try the Benton House for prime or steaks. tee hee hee he

Greyhawk,thanx for the input.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  12. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Spoon, next time you have an excuse to go to Alabama, stop on lake Guntersville and we'll throw a line or two!

13. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

As soon as I find a Sugar Momma to foot the bill for the gas, eats and incidentals! The little 9.9 Yamaha needs to go to the Dr. for a check-up. Couldn't start the darn thing today after doing all I could to get her running. I about wore myself out fighting the wind with the trolling motor on the stern. Got tired of fighting, hit the calm rocky & rip-rap bank...VIOLA 6 fat little 12-14 inch bass on an old gold foil FatRap 7 in less than 30 minutes. Fish were starving. These little guys were managing to suck that bigger crank bait down their throats. All released for someone else's pleasure some day.

14. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Gone Fishin...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdtzJvliMk[/ame]

15. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Well-Known Member Supporting

Momma recognized the singers right off! Bing and Satchmo are popular artists in our house.

16. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

They were a pair to draw to.

17. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I guess your grandson didn't think twice about getting the boat ready. Good you all had some fun together with a good catch to boot.