Marlin Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've joined the forum in the hopes of finding some (and possibly sharing some) information on the Colt/Marlin potato digger machine gun. I am in the process of going through a selection of Marlin machine guns in anticipation of the 100th anniversary of World War One (WWI) I have a group of Model 1906/1917s, some USN MK Vs, and a couple M-1918s and a M-1914. Within these, I have a series that have the original serial numbers lined through and the numbers A1X through A15X added, although not all inclusive. I am familiar with serial numbers being lined out on a portion of a gun if the weapon underwent a barrel change of a barrel removed from an unserviceable receiver, however, in this case, all of the lined out serial numbers matched. I also have a couple of M-1918s with US Cal. 30 in 1 inch letters stamped on the side, as well as one gun that has offset sights on the left side of the gun. I am also aware that Marlin made a training gun for the Army in WWI that was a potato digger but with improved internals, however, I do not know how to identify that gun, whether it would have specific markings or would be different from a standard issue weapon how??? Or is there something I should be looking for that I'm not aware of yet? As such I have Mark Vs with oval charging handles, and 1 M-1918 with an L shaped charging handle. I would appreciate any and all feedback as I don't know a whole lot about the potato digger. Thanks for any assistance I can get in advance. Regards, Jim

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the camp from Allen County, Indiana. Have a seat on that stump over there. Help yourself to the coffee. It's got some grounds in it. The only WWI or "Great War" firearms I have currently is my original Model of 1917. I had a great uncle participate in that exercise but never heard him speak of it.

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Forum !!

The Colt–Browning M1895, nicknamed "potato digger" because of its unusual operating mechanism, is an air-cooled, belt-fed, gas-operated machine gun that fires from a closed bolt with a cyclic rate of 450 rounds per minute. Based on a John Moses Browning design dating to 1889, it was the first successful gas operated machine gun to ever enter service with the US Military.

Submachine guns include:

• M2 Hyde, a WWII submachine gun prototype
  • United Defense M42, a WWII submachine gun for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS)

In World War I Marlin Rockwell became one of the largest machine gun producers in the world for the US and its Allies, building the M1895 Colt-Browning Machine Gun and a later variant called the "Marlin gun" optimized for aircraft use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts