Marlin Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome. I have a Marlin 80G from either 1961 or 1962 and two Gelnfield 25s from the mid 70s. Look for Glenfield 25 for manuals, it is the exact same gun.

I'm having trouble visualizing how the rear sight would be in the way of the bolt removal. Is it mounted in the 2 holes on the left side of the receiver?

For the safety lever not working, it's a pretty straightforward mechanism and may just need to be cleaned. I had my 80G disassembled to detail clean and when I reinstalled the safety lever I tighteded the screws too tight and the safety would not engage. Once I backed them off a tiny bit, no issues.

As far as the magazine being a little loose, that may be normal but again, hard to quantify. For the last round not feeding, that may be a magazine problem, broken spring or just worn out. One of my original magazines that came with one of the Glenfied 25s will work in one of them but not the other. The new magazines I picked up from Walmart online for all 3 function in all 3. I only have the problem with one old mag in one gun.

Price wise. I paid $100 for the 1978 Gelnfield 25 with a 3-9x variable illuminated generic Chinese scope at a local gun store 3-4 years ago. I paid $85 for the 1976 Glenfield 25 with plain sights in an auction, late 2012. Lastly, I paid $90 for the Marlin 80G with a complete junk Tasco scope that I threw away in a private sale this past December.

If I found a Marlin 80DL with the walnut stock and original sight, I would not hesitate to buy at $150 and would consider going up to $200 if it was really nice.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am unsure of the Redfield sight being factory. The Brophy book doesn't mention them. However, the stock modification to handle the sight looks very well done.

As far as take down, there is a single takedown screw toward the but of the magazine plate. Loosening that, you can remove the entire barrel and action. Nothing should go flying at this point, unless something is wrong. The trigger will be held in with 2 pins, and there are 2 springs captured in there. I have replaced the trigger spring with springs I have taken out of ball point click pens to lighten the trigger pull. I have left the sear spring alone. I have had to tweet the ejector wire with small needle nose pliers. The safety lever is held on with 2 screws, I only removed once to clean up some surface rust. I have never taken the bolt apart and have heard you need 3 hands to get it back together if you do.

When it comes down to it, these are surprisingly simple on the inside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts