Habitat for Humanity work day !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Sep 27, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Got a call this morning reminding me of a commitment I had made. I had forgot. A local Lumber Yard is having Customer Appreication Day. My Habitat Affeliate grills hotdogs and passes out sodas and chips, all free. We get a good donation and FREE FOOD ..... LOL. Bawana will go also as he as worked them before.

2. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

Excellent!........

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Have fun! Its good for youngsters to be involved in community service!

4. SWO1

Went and helped set up the Habitat Annual turkey shoot yesterday morning. Had 4 of us so only took about 2.5 hrs. Had to pattern my two Mossy 835s while there. Bawana is the Target Card runner, collecting the cards after a round and helps putting up the next round. Gets to eat free and I pay for his shots. shoot is Sat. 10-4 and Sunday 12-4. We have 50 turkeys, 20 - 2.5lbs packs of bacon and 10 Hams. Alo have some gift certificaes from local businesses. Turkey shoot shots are $3. Also run a clay shoot, 5 stations with 5 in a round @ $5 a round. We provide shells for both shoots and the clays. Another guy brings his tower and thrower. Concession with Brats, dogs, burgers, soda/water and donated baked goods, cookies, cakes, pies, ect. We clear $2000+ and a great time is had by all. Here is a pic of a little guy with his winning card from last year. In previous rounds he couldnt even get a pellet on paper. In this round a couple of the better shooters got on both sides of his target and shot on it. He was a happy camper. He got to take Mamma and the family a Turkey. Am sure he and his parents will be back this year. You cant tell by the pic but the card must have had at least a 1000 pellets in it.

Attached Files:

5. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

That's great and a very good cause!

6. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Your a good man SWO1

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Glad to see the young'n being involved.

8. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

SWO1, hope y'all have a good shoot tomorrow. Is the weather supposed to be good for it?

9. SWO1

Weather dont look good at all ....... :( It has rained for 2 days straight now and the temps have bottomed out .... High of 52 today. Forecast is the same thru Monday .... it may be a bust. if its postoned until next weekend I will have to cancel on a hangun shoot I go to every year. Oh well .....

10. SWO1

Kind of good news this morning. It isnt raining ..... :eek: Cold front has dropped into Arkansas and most of the rain with it. Forcasted to be about 55 today, cloudy and wet from the rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and NO RAIN high of 60. Just might get it in ......... :cool:

11. SWO1

The day started out dreary. It rained a tad during one round (5 I think) and we took a 15 minute break till it stopped. Rest of the day was dry. Very little wind and around 55. We shot 34 rounds, 24 Turkey targets, and 10 in Clays. All in all we cleared around $1200 plus whatever the consessions brought in. We took a 30 minute break for lunch and about every body partook of our goodies.

I started out with the first three shots no very good, one second I think. After the rain break I was comming out from under the tent and whacked by gun barrel on the steel post. I thought, that aint good. I won 5 of the next 10 rounds and 4 seconds ....... LOL. I took some rounds off and shot the last three .... not even close. I will beat it on the tent again tomorrow ....... :rolleyes:

Here are some Pics:

Attached Files:

12. SWO1

For my wins I took, 2 Turkeys, 2 -2.5lb packs of bacon, and a Ham. Second places got me a bottle of donated Lucas Gun Oil.

More Pics:

Pic of the guns on the table contains two Old Marlin Pump 12ga. from early 1900s

couldnt leave without a pic of one of Leroys Gurard Lamas. this one is a small female. The Male wasnt up at the fence, he stands guard out in the field.

Attached Files:

13. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Looks like everyone had fun, and that's the main thing. It's good that the weather held off for you.

14. SWO1

It's back today for another afternoon of the turkey shoot. Most of yesterdays shooters will be back. We also get some who only come one Sunday afternoons. Ollie the little boy in last years pic was there Saturday. He had paracticed and shoot good with his Mossy 410. His dad won a couple rounds and he had a second. Greg, the county surveyor and 3 family members shot every round and will be back today also. They make EVERY shoot in the county all year. They do good.

The Bawana and oldest grandson had a function at school Saturday for a fund raiser for the Wrestling team and didnt make it this year. Today Bawana has to go to the Music store and get some stuff for his drums so he wont be there again.

Don who usually runs the sign in sheets for rounds couldnt be there yesterday so I had to do that as well as score the targets, pass out prizes and shoot as well. Today Don is supposed to show up.

Should get to around 60 today with some sun. No rain till latter tonight and Monday. Hope to run another 30+ rounds today.

15. SWO1

A great turkey shoot, maybe the best we have had so far. ran 38 rounds of cards and clays today. I shot the first 4 (winning two) and then it started to pile up. Didnt get to shoot again till the last three rounds. Lots of new shooters this year and NEW WINNERS. A lot of women and girls did great. Little Ollie form last year took two rounds him shelf with his little Mossy .410. Here are some pics with the girls, dont want to look at the old hairy legged winners .... LOL

Attached Files: