Headin gup the High Country for another loook Today !

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Bucky, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Well Well Well
    You never ever get sick and tired of heading off for a Bambi hunt.
    Heading back up to Horseyard Flat in 3 or 4 hrs, to make camp, and then begin Hunting this afternoon.
    Forecast is for rain and light winds.

Our forecast is for Bambi, and no snakes, but just in case I have chucked in a couple of extra compression bandages and an extra pair of gaiters.

I like mid-week hunting, as the place is usually empty of people, (working people) and the Bambi is out. (hopefully)

And in another 3 or 4 weeks time, Ill be hack up into a different spot when they "Open the gates", November 1, but again 4-5 days after the "unlock", as there usually is heaps of hunters up there, and good spots are hard to find. (too many dickheads for the first few days)

Cheers Bucky

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Good Hunting Bucky !!

3. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I had hoped to go out today but now it won't quit raining...and i hunt along the river, AND I hunt in the flood plain. I am not afraid of getting washed away but that swamp is almost impossible to hunt without losing a boot in the muck. Maybe if it stops raining...

4. SHOOTER13

What firearm are you taking to the field hombre...and what's the quarry !?

5. hombre243

Goin with the homebuilt KY, 45 cal...deer, coons, squirrels and Rabbits...to eat, and coyotes, skunk and opossum for critter control. If I see a g-hog, that goes in the food pot too.

6. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Good hunting!

7. SHOOTER13

Good Hunting Hombre...!!

Been enjoying dove and squirrel season here in Pennsylvania...a bountiful state for each.

Deer starts November 30th...

8. hombre243

Got your message about that one sneakin by. That's what happens to me every time I take a nap when deer hunting too. Learn to sleep with an eye open Bucky...:rolleyes:

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hunting is a funny thing !
    Last 2 times up the High Country, I brought home something home (Bambi)
    Have been eating my way thru them, as pies, roasts, snags, schnitzel's, and stews.
    Got back yesterday, from a short hunting trip, with a "good and safe Mate", Ian, and had a real ball.
    We didn't get any Bambi, but had a couple of brilliant "stalks", in the mist, and light rain, and very light wind
    Seen 3 and got honked at twice, all within 200 mts of camp. Jeese they are an inquisitive animal.
    Went for a drive up to the Pinnicles, to have a look for some "more sigh", and to make contact with home, via our mobiles, as it's about the only place we can get reception.
    Virtually no sign, as the rain had washed out most of the tracks, so we head back to camp, and we are less than 200 mts from camp, (driving in) and get honked at.
    Never seen the Mate move so fast, there this Dark brown/grey 5 ft high freight train ran up this slight gully and past "Old Tojo" flat out.
    Sambar deer is an incredible animal, this "spiker" was reasonably big, and would have been perfect for the fridge.
    I am sure each Bambi has a space ship hovering above !.
    I must learn how to say "beam me up Scottie" in Bambi talk.
    We actually didn't stay up there long enuf, to work out Bambi's routine, and game trails.
    Who cares, 1 1/2 days up in the bush is still better than waiting and planning the next trip up there.
    Tracking was brilliant and very very stealth, due to heavy rain the day we got there, and misty drizzle after that.
    But there is always another time, and Ill be up there with my "trusty mate, and our "noisy sticks"

Cheers
    Bucky

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Its nice to harvest the game you peruse,But it is also good to come home after a SAFE Hunt and lots of fond memories and time with your pals