Here's a question for you......

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Windy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

I do not own a Marlin and I am a fairly new shooter. I don't own any rifle but I do own three handguns.

Convince me I need a Marlin and tell me which Marlin you think I should own and why. I do not hunt and only target shoot.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

This sounds like a job :D. I would say get a Marlin model 25 or 25N. They're bolt actions and very accurate guns.They're 22lr so the ammo is cheap which means you can afford to shoot it more. It's a lot of fun spending an afternoon plinking with a 22. I don't know if I convinced you or not,but it's a start ;) :D.

3. Windy

Let's say I like a lever action rifle. And are there any pump action Marlins.

4. hunter2506

hunter2506 Member

Convince, no.
    If you were going to buy. than one could recommend.

5. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

You need to get yourself an 1894C to go with that GP100.

6. Windy

Good point. I stand corrected. I just wanted to hear all the good qualities of the different Marlins. This is a Marlin forum and I am here to learn. :D

Okay, but what is a 1894C. Educate me.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i agree, that convince would be the wrong choice of words, and suggesting different ones would be better.

28 shooter suggested the 1894C because it's a lever action rifle chambered in 357Mag or 38Spl. which would compliment your Ruger pistol. and they are very nice looking rifles to boot.

there are just so many different Marlin rifles that are very good choices for new shooters or veteran shooters. just a few years ago, i discovered their bolt action centerfire rifles and have found them to be some of the best on the market in terms of accuracy, build quality and price. over the years i have had a few Marlin M336's in 30-30 and found them to be, IMO, one of the best lever action rifles ever made. Marlin has one lever action rimfire, the 39A, that has the longest running continued production of almost any firearm, and was also the choice of Annie Oakley. of course one of my favorites, the M60. very accurate, dependable and inexpensive. my wife likes shooting mine, but wants one now, without a scope on it, so she can shoot it with open sights. like i really needed a reason to buy another gun!

8. Windy

So, is the lever action 39A a .22?

9. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Yep , it is a 22 :cool:

10. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Well-Known Member

Yes, and it's a KNOWN FACT that everyone needs at least one 22lr Rifle. Just ask, EVERYONE agrees.

Bill

11. Windy

I absolutely agree. I was looking at a Henry Lever action .22. I am very short and my LOP is only 11 inches. I was looking at the youth model. Do they make youth model Marlins?

12. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Well-Known Member

SEE....................hehehe

13. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting to weigh in on this discussion. Because I'm not an expert. I wanted to see what others thought.
    True, this is a Marlin Forum. And no one makes a better center fire lever gun than Marlin. JMHO
    However, in the rim-fire world, there is a lot of competition. The 39A is a fine rifle but they are pricy. If I owned one now, I would keep it. But I don't so I'm not sure that I would pay the extra money just to have the name.
    I have a Marlin Mod. 60SS and it is all that they say it is. Quality built and the most accurate right out of the box. However, the length of pull may be too long for you?? My son has several of the older Marlins with the squirrel on the pistol grip. He loves each and every one of them. He also has a Papoose that he won't part with.
    A lot of people talk up the Ruger 10/22 but, IMO, they are not as well built as the Marlin and often won't match the accuracy unless you spend extra money for a trigger and a barrel. However, the length of pull of the 10/22 might fit you better. I've owned several but I don't have one at this time, if that tells you anything.
    IF I were to buy another 22 rifle, it would be the Henry Lever Rifle (sorry guys) because I think lever guns are fun and the Henry has good reviews. If I was looking for a 22 rifle for accuracy alone, I would consider the Savage Mark II series with the Accu-Trigger.
    Aside from the Henry Lever 22, the other rifle on my wish list is a Marlin 1894C in .357 caliber.
    The most important thing is, how well does it fit you and does it feel comfortable?
    I'd suggest that you visit a local gun show or local gun shop and handle a few. I'm sure that you wouldn't buy a pair of Jeans without trying them on????
    Just my $.02.

Grey

14. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Grey, i wouldn't fault anyone for buying the Henry lever action 22 rifle. it's a very well built rifle that IMO is worth every dime it costs. i have also supported Windy's decision of buying the Henry as her heart is set on it, and i think it's a good choice of a lever action 22 rifle. the Marlin 39A is also a very good choice and one i would never hesitate in suggesting as a choice for a lever action 22. both are excellent choices and it would be hard for me to choose between them.

Windy, a Marlin i would suggest for you would be the lever action 336Y model. it's the youth model of the 336 in 30-30 caliber. might be one to look at and give some thought to.

15. Windy

I have handled the Henry Lever Youth model and it fit me well. I will look into others.

Sit down guys, here comes a dumb question. What is a 30-30 caliber. What is it equivalent to? :(

16. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

There are no dumb questions.The best comparison I have is the 35 Remington. They're both sort of short range brush guns used a lot of times for deer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

17. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Hey Windy
    If you have a question, feel free to ask. No one will think the less of you. :) Life is a learning process and we all started somewhere. And we're not done yet.
    Here are a couple excellent articles about the 30-30.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/optimum_30_rifle_cartridge.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester
    The 30-30 was first manufactured in 1895. It has a 30 caliber bullet (.308" dia.) Previously known as the 30 WCF. Like many cartridges of that day, it gets it's name from the caliber (30) & the powder charge in Black Powder (30 grains). Much like the 25-20 (25 cal. - 20 gr. BP) and the 45-70 (45 cal.- 70 gr. BP) plus many more. (see Hyphenated's signature).
    Typically, the 30-30 is a Lever Gun like the 336 Marlin and the Model 94 Winchester. Although, Savage once made a Bolt Action 30-30 and there is a variety of Single Shots like H&R, NEF, Rossi and even Thompson Center. T/C even made a Pistol Barrel for their Contender in the 30-30. :eek:
    It's ballistic equals would be the 300 Savage and the 7.62 X 39 that is used in the SKS & the AK47. Primarily it is considered a Deer Rifle but has been used for Black Bear and even Elk within reasonable range. As far as power, it is considered to be a mid-size rifle cartridge with modest recoil.
    Factory loads come in 150 grain bullet and 170 grain bullets. If you reload, the bullets (all .308 dia) come in sizes (grains) from 100, 110, 125, 130, 140, 150, 160, 165, 170. With the 150 & 170 gr. bullets, the 30-30 works very well on Deer out to 200 yards (with good shot placement). With the 170 gr., it works well for Black Bear and maybe even Elk (although not idea). With the introduction of the Hornady LEVERevalution ammo, the performance has been enhanced by about 50 yards. I have a hunting guide friend that said the new Hornady Ammo has made the 30-30 into a 250 yard Deer Rifle and a 150 yard Elk Rifle.(with proper shot placement)
    With the lighter reloads (100 gr. -125 gr. FNHP), it works well for Fox and Coyote.
    Cost for new ammo isn't too hateful and for those that reload, it's not bad at all.
    I hope this helps.
    Check the "Who's Loading Today" thread (last page) where aka posted pics of his 30-30 reloads. Pretty neat. And those loads should be milder than a full blown .357 mag.

Grey

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  18. Windy

Wow. Thanks Squirrelhunter and greyhawk. I learned a lot right there. After I read it all a couple more times. :eek:

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the 30-30 cartridge is a 308 or 30 caliber and originally used about 30 grains of smokeless powder. it's also a rimmed cartridge that came out in the late 1890's in the Winchester model 1894 or as we call them today Model94's.

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Agreed...everyone should own at least one rifle and one pistol chambered for the .22 rimfire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]