Homemade Firearm Cleaners & Lubricants

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by FOUR4D4, Mar 7, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I've tried Ed's Red before...it worked great !!

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do not consume or use as a mixer. Keep them away from pets and stupid people.

Great line.

4. FOUR4D4

Read and heed all directions!!!!!!

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

stupid people shouldn't breed! it breeds more stupidity! Four, you know that's why they are stupid, they can't read or follow directions!

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I'm currently using a brew I whipped up after reading the Ed's Red formula. It's equal parts ATF and mineral spirits, about an 1/8 part engine oil, and just a touch of dot3 brake fluid. I added the brake fluid because of what I've seen it do to paint, and figured why not. It actually works very well on lead fouling and leaves a very light oil sheen when dry.

But I think most common mild industrial solvents will clean guns fine, assuming you test for plastic damage first. I just watched a you tube vid made by a revolver smith, and he uses and recommends charcoal lighter fluid. I use straight mineral spirits when I want to soak parts. It works great.

7. FOUR4D4

Just buy accident I was trying to remove some surface rust from a rifle of mine and decided to try brake fluid. Yes it did remove the rust and the bluing dumb. I have heard that brake fluid would ruin a paint job,But I learned how to remove bluing also. What was I thinking?

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

so you found a cheap and easily available blueing remover! cool. Walmart in my town is open 24/7, so if i needed to remove blueing, at 3 am, and didn't have any, i could get some brake fluid at WalMart!

9. FOUR4D4

:cool: COOL