Marlin Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hey Gumpy, straightshooter, and Marlindude. If I remember correctly, I went over the barrel of the Mauser about 5-6 times. Could have gone over it many more times since it goes quickly but I didn't want to make a 119 year-old barrel look too new. And the Oxpho is about the most durable cold blue I've found. Marlindude, that is a very nice finish you put on that revolver! That picture is more representative of what the Oxpho can do than the one I posted. Nice job!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you for the kind comments Gumpy and Mauserhooked! The revolver is a S & W 17-6, 22lr, it looked like a blood gun, I've heard them say. It still needs some work but I'm happy with the look. I'm a painter by trade so it kinda goes with what I do but with my hobby, Life is Good as Hickcok45 says on YouTube ! Anyway heres a few more pics!
ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1411441802.821024.jpg Before
ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1411441859.540303.jpg After or so far
ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1411441958.062893.jpg Stripped
ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1411442051.917968.jpg About midway 3 or 4 coats
ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1411442154.741935.jpg about 8-10 coats

The more passes or coat you do the more deep bluing you get.
Patience is the key, let the bluing work.

Sent from my iPad using Marlin Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
The blue black finish is what I couldn't get the vans to create. I would say after 4 coats the finish wasn't getting any deeper black or blue tint to the finish. After 8 coats and still not darker I called it quits. The finish came out an even black but more of a bronze tint than a blue tint. So much for Van's in my opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I purchase a different product that I want to try out . It's Birchwood Casey, Super Blue it's also for touch ups.
The main point that I learned is to go by the directions. My revolver still needs work though but it's coming along.
Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPad using Marlin Forum

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
As soon as I can get some extra assets,(what's that lol) I've got a Mauser that needs doing. It'll be after deer season though.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Interesting thread. You guys do good work. I will redo the Marlin .35 Rem this winter. Of the ones I've done in the past used the Birchwood Casey stuff and it came out OK, just not a dark blue/black like I hoped. Will try some of the stuff on this thread.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SW01, another thing I like about the Brownell's Oxpho is that the firearm/part doesn't have to be totally clean of oil to use it. I always do a thorough job with multiple cleanings with denatured alcohol or mineral spitrits though just to be anal about it. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Thanks for the info Mauserhooked ..... Im a thinkin that is the one I will try. Never hurts to have it Spanken Kleen .... :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the info Mauserhooked ..... Im a thinkin that is the one I will try. Never hurts to have it Spanken Kleen .... :)

I agree, I use denatured alcohol and or acetone before mineral spirits which can leave an oily residue. In the old days we used a little on a rag for a tack rag after preparation and before painting. Now at work after preparing metal and before applying epoxies and urethanes I use MEK for my cleaner, final tack before painting.
I get better results doing it this way.
Be careful, flammable,

41 - 51 of 51 Posts