Marlin Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
582 Posts
I can't get Federal Champion to cycle in any of my Marlin semi-autos. Although you mention hollow points, haven't tried those, just the Champion 510 and the American Eagle 5022 40 gr LRN versions.

For the barrel stock motion - I have refinished factory stocks on all mine, so I can't comment on movement with your Boyd stock, other than none of mine move when pushed.

I still have frozen berms and snow on the ground, it will be a awile for outdoor range shooting.

· Registered
582 Posts
Shot at my new range today for the first time solo. Went about 10:30 am and had the place to myself. Sighted in four 22 Marlins at 20 yards, which is the most I can do indoors. The first was the Model 70 that I cut the stock down and added tech sights. Not one single adjustment needed. Next was a 995 that I swaped out the receiver and barrel with a Model 60, so technically it is a detachable magazine model 60 with a walnut stock. Also added tech sights, 2 clicks up and one to the left. Third, my Model 56 levermatic with an old Simmons scope that came on the 995. Wasn't even on paper, took a look and the scope was a good 1/8" cocked to one side. A few adjustments, and then about 50 clicks down and 5 to the right and I have a winner. Last, Glenfield 25 with a Williams WGRS rear sight with a Marbles front. Had to move the elevation up a bit and I think I want the 1/32" inch bead front. The 1/16" is too big.

Also ran 50 rounds through my Ruger 22/45 and Single Six.

Fun morning. Really needed to get the 70 and the 995/60 ready for the Appleseed I have with my 11 year old on April 18-19.

· Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful time to me. How do you like your Levermatic? I have one in .30 caliber carbine and its my favorite rifle!
My dad bought the Model 56 Levermatic from a hardware store when he was in high school. It was used, just leaning up in a corner. It's the first edition of them with the steel receiver, nio serial number or date code, so 1955 or 1956. He seems to remember paying $25 for it with one magazine and a skinny Marlin fixed 4X scope on it.

This is the first gun I ever shot. The scope finally gave up the ghost with a broken reticle.

The old hypothetical question...if you could only keep one gun? My only answer every time is that Marlin 56 Levermatic, even with the worn bluing on the barrel and hairline crack in the wrist. I love that rifle and have killed 10x more squirrels and varmints with it than every other gun combined.

A Levermatic in 30 cal has got to be a lot of fun to shoot.

· Registered
582 Posts
The beauty of the Levermatic is the short throw. I don't have to move my thumb from the top to cycle it. Much quicker on follow up shots.

They are hard to find. I've seen 3 57M, tube fed version in 22 Mag. All of them went for more than $350.

· Registered
582 Posts
Scope sighting in day at the range.

1960 or 1961 (no serial number or date code stamp) Marlin 80G with a Simmons 22Mag 3-9X scope set at 4X, 25 meters, prone with a sling. Five shots of CCI Standard Velocity.

1998 Marlin 60SB with a Simmons 22Mag fixed 4X scope, 25 meters, prone with a sling. Fourteen shots of CCI Standard Velocity.

· Registered
582 Posts
1974 Glenfield 25 with a Centerpoint 3-9X scope, set at 4X, this one if off the bench, 25 meters, moved up, up, down. CCI Standard Velocity.

· Registered
582 Posts
A 1969 Model 99M1 with original rear sight. Just the last 3 sighters, can't find the target with a nice 9 round group.

Two identical rifles, a 1984 and a 1987 Model 60, both with last shot hold open feature and long mag tube. Both have the Williams fiber optic sets on them. This is the first time I shot these rifles with fiber optic sights, I like them, not as nice as an aperture sight, but way better than the factory buckhorn sight. Obviously larger groups than the bolt guns with scopes but I paid $100 for the 1984 and $75 for the 1987, refinshed the stocks, cleaned the rust off the outside of the barrel, repainted the receivers and added $30 sights to each. Rifle pics in the post below.

· Registered
582 Posts
1969 Marlin 99M1

1984 Marlin 60

1987 Marlin 60

· Registered
582 Posts
Shot a 4 stage IDPA match today with my bone stock Beretta 92FS. Round count was 78. No procedural penalties, no hits on non-threats, no failure to neutralize. 21 target points down. Slow but accurate, good first match of the year.

One guy was a total of 9 target points down for the match, two down zero stages. He was using a M&P CORE worked over by the performance center with an optic, ok for the club match, but not "legal" for a sanctioned IDPA match. Regardless, scarry accurate.

· Registered
582 Posts
Practicing the the prone stages of the Appleseed AQT. I shot the 995 first, see target below. Followed by the new Model 70, the mag kept dropping out whilst firing, replaced the mag latch / ejector piece when I got home. The Glenfield 60 with Williams FP-AG with a Marbles ramp and 1/16" brass bead front was next. The front bead kept vibrating loose whilst shooting, staked the top of the dovetail ramp when I got home and refit it. Last was the Glenfield 25 with the Wilims WRGS-54 and Lyman 17A globe front with CCI Quiet. The quiet was quiet, but inconsistant. Could not get it to group even shooting off the bench. The biggest circle insert I could actually see the target with at 25m was too big, wound up seeing the best with the thin post insert. I don't want to give up on the globe sight, may try the Shaver inserts.

So the four rifles went awesomerific to craptacular.

· Registered
582 Posts
Heading out with:

1. Marlin 995 with tech sights
2. Glenfield 60 with front sight staked in place
3. Glenfield 25 with Williams/ Lyman sights, running mini mags this time
4. Marlin 60SB with Simmons 4x

· Registered
582 Posts
Heading out with:

1. Marlin 995 with tech sights
2. Glenfield 60 with front sight staked in place
3. Glenfield 25 with Williams/ Lyman sights, running mini mags this time
4. Marlin 60SB with Simmons 4x
1. The 995 is Appleseed ready, 100% reliable with CCI SV
2. Minute of squirrel good from the 1980 squirrel stock. I like the aperture sights, just not necessarily the look of the Williams FP-AG on this rifle. If I pick up another Marlin, who am I kidding, WHEN I pick up another Marlin, I will probably get something different for this one.
3. What a difference 500+ fps make, the mini mags are great through this rifle. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I can make circle-circle-circle all concentric around he target with both eyes fully open. Really like the Williams WGRS-54 / Lyman 17A combination.
4. Shot the Appleseed AQT and either shot a 241 or a 236 out of 250. I can't decide if I double holed one the standing shots or had one off the paper. This is a fairly accurate rifle, I think the target crown makes a difference.

· Registered
582 Posts
Ammo test in my Marlin 80G (from 1960 or 1961) with a Simmons 22Mag 3-9X scope. These shots are 25 meters with scope set to 4X shooting prone with a sling. Either 6 or 7 rounds per target, depending on how many I had to make an even row. The outer green circle is 2" diameter and the inner green ring is 1/2" diameter.

I'm surprised. The Remington Thunderbolts and Cyclone grouped well. I'm happy with the CPRN 40 gr Mini Mags and the Aquila SuperExtra. Very dissapointed in any Federal in this rifle.

· Registered
582 Posts
Took the Marlin 1894C out this morning. I had mounted the Skinner Express but still had the original front installed. Finally had a chance to shoot it on paper, using American Eagle 158gr JSP .357 Magnum at 50 yards. Nice 3 shot group about 11" high. Tap-tap-tap out comes the factory front, file-file-file on the dovetail of the sight and tap-tap-tap in goes the Skinner post. Absolutely spot on for elevation, but 6" to the right. Tap-tap-tap, about 9" to the right, oh yeah, I'm moving the front sight. Tap-tap-tap the other way a few more times and I'm happy.

Then it down poured and I left the range.

· Registered
582 Posts
Got home from work, brought in the rifles, cleaned the 1894C and while giving it the final wipe down, I notice my bullseye fell out. I know I can get a replacement and I'll go back to the range tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. It's nothing money won't fix, but darn it!

· Registered
582 Posts
Got home from work, brought in the rifles, cleaned the 1894C and while giving it the final wipe down, I notice my bullseye fell out. I know I can get a replacement and I'll go back to the range tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. It's nothing money won't fix, but darn it!
Found the bullseye, right where I left it.

· Registered
582 Posts
Funny how that usually works out!
Ever notice, as soon as you find something, you stop looking for it?
Yup - I tell the kids "(lost item) will be in the last place you look"

· Registered
582 Posts
Marlin 80G, Simmons 22Mag 3-9X (set at 4X), CCI Quiet, 25 meters prone with a sling. The rectangle measures 3/4"x1" on the paper.

· Registered
582 Posts
We have college friends visiting. The guy from Long Island had never touched a gun in his 46 years on this earth. Took him to the range.

Started out rimfire rifle. A Marlin 80G with a Simmons 3-9X scope. Kept the scope at 4x and shot 25 yards. Then the Marlin 995 with Tech Sights.

Moved to the rifle range and had him shoot the Marlin 1894C with .38 specials. Kept them in about a 6" circle.

Pistols next. Went to the plate rack. Ruger 22/45 to start. Then Beretta 92FS. Followed by the S&W 28-2 with .38 Specials. He cleared the 5 plates at 10 yards with the Beretta.

Lastly, moved up to about 4-5 yards and gave him the S&W Model 60 J frame. He didn't care for that one.

I took the time and went over safety last night and again his morning. He was fine. He asked a lot of questions and had a great time.

When we got home, had him use the scoped 80G and do the 4"x4" plate I have in back with CCI Quiet. 14 for 14 sitting position from 25 yards. Two of his daughters tried as well, oldest was 6/7 and the younger one only wanted 1 shot, but she rang the plate. Then 2 of my kids took some turns.

He shot About 100 rounds of Blazer 22, about 50 rounds of 9mm and about 60 rounds of 38 special at the range. At home we went through another 150 rounds of CCI Quiet.

I shot 3 rounds through the 1894C, one cylinder through the Highway Patrolman and 2 cylinders through the J frame.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.