Marlin Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather was good enough to get out to the range, finally!
My rifle, model 60, Boyds stock, McCarbo spring kit, Simmons 3-9 scope.
Ammo was Federal Champion hollow points.
50 yds, the 100 yd targets hit way low, so I didn't post them.
Light breeze, about 55*, sunny,:cool:
I need to tweak the scope mount, not ideal for me, and of course I didn't have the allen wrench I needed.
Other issue was, if I squeeze the forearm and barrel, the barrel noticeably drops down into the stock, a 1/16" or so, and the forward screw drops down. Is that normal? Would bedding correct that?

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The only issue I had with cycling was a dud round. Ran it through twice and no go. Otherwise it cycled perfectly with every shot.
Will try other ammo another time.
It is supposed to be about 1250 at muzzle.
I'm going to remove the stock and see what I need to do to get it to sit better.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Snuck away for a little paper punching. My new AR (RockRiver 16" fluted SS upper, PSA lower). Yeah, the work was still there when I got back:mad:
Started at 50yds, just to get it on paper, with recycled targets, used backside. Nice grouping, at first, then opened up a bit. I need to practice more.
Then walked it in at 100. Really built it for 200, but that range was busy with a competition shoot.

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Finally took time to get out again. Bench rest.
First up, my Marlin60, Boyds stock, McCarbo springs, Simmons 22mag 3-9 scope. 50yds. Federal bulk pack. Didn't do as well as I thought I, or the gun, could. Then when I was wiping it down to put it away, I found a scope mount screw loose!:eek::(:mad:
Then I pulled out my favorite gun to shoot, Ruger 77/22WMR, Bushnell 3-9 thick reticle. 100yds. Fired some CCI MaxiMag first, a bit high, and some Fiochi which hits in the black, I must have it sighted in for that. I need to settle on an ammo that gun likes and only buy it. I'm also going to replace the scope with the 4-14 Nikon, with the fine reticle.
Then it got too dark.

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got out again with the new Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my new AR.
I was looking for a scope that would allow me to see bullet holes at 200yds. Someone (on another 'site) suggested "shoot-n-see" targets, so I picked up a couple. What a disappointment!!! A shooter next to me was shooting at white paper, and I could see his bullet holes, but not mine!
Here's mine, first is shooting 55gr. I thought I was missing, so I kept adjusting my aim, higher then lower. Really P'd me off when I walked up and saw that I was actually hitting.
Second is 62gr, I started getting p'd, and hurrying the shots, still thinking I was missing.
On the plus side, I'm relatively happy with the accuracy, I know I can hit in the black with no problem, but I'm going to send a complaint email to TruGlo, and return the targets.
The one round that shows a bit better , just upper right of center on the second target is from the other shooters .270. I had him try to see if high velocity, small caliber was the problem.

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I think I'll have the same problem, not enough color showing around the hole. If so, I'll suggest they reverse their colors. Use green or pink for the background, and black for the markings. The black will show around the bullet holes, and make the hole appear bigger, plus the hole will show up better against a bright background.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Snuck out this morning for a bit. Warm, wind at my back. I bought a set of the Caldwell shooting bags, they help quite a bit.
Started out with the Marlin60, at 50yds, shoots a bit better with the scope screws tight, but still not where I think it can. Still using the Federal Champion bulk pack, I'll try something a bit better later. Started out using the corner targets to get dialed in, than shooting the center.
Next up was my Ruger M77/22WMR, at 100yds, CCI MaxiMags. Put the 4-14x Nikon scope on it. Just shot the corner targets, ran out of time, and had a couple guys waiting to use the range.

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
WAIT A GOLDANG MINUTE!!!!!!
You mean to tell me a guy from NEW YORK CITY, didn't P his pants and run screaming from a GUN????????
OR, instantly turn into a pyscho and start shooting everyone in sight?
You supposed to start those stories with "You ain't going to believe this [email protected]!t, but".....

In other news.........

I made it out to the range to try those free, pink targets, TruGlo sent me.
No improvement! Still can't see the hits. I even shot through one of the dots used to cover hits and allow continued use of a target, seen on the VisiShot by Champion target, next to the 4, top center. Other target is one I printed off the 'net.
They work good for a 1911 though! The 4 larger hits, lower rt corner, on the TruGlo and 1 on the VisiShot are from my 1911 .45acp, and no I didn't make those shots at 200yds.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.