Marlin Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
582 Posts
Shot a 4 stage IDPA match today with my bone stock Beretta 92FS. Round count was 78. No procedural penalties, no hits on non-threats, no failure to neutralize. 21 target points down. Slow but accurate, good first match of the year.

One guy was a total of 9 target points down for the match, two down zero stages. He was using a M&P CORE worked over by the performance center with an optic, ok for the club match, but not "legal" for a sanctioned IDPA match. Regardless, scarry accurate.

· Registered
582 Posts
Practicing the the prone stages of the Appleseed AQT. I shot the 995 first, see target below. Followed by the new Model 70, the mag kept dropping out whilst firing, replaced the mag latch / ejector piece when I got home. The Glenfield 60 with Williams FP-AG with a Marbles ramp and 1/16" brass bead front was next. The front bead kept vibrating loose whilst shooting, staked the top of the dovetail ramp when I got home and refit it. Last was the Glenfield 25 with the Wilims WRGS-54 and Lyman 17A globe front with CCI Quiet. The quiet was quiet, but inconsistant. Could not get it to group even shooting off the bench. The biggest circle insert I could actually see the target with at 25m was too big, wound up seeing the best with the thin post insert. I don't want to give up on the globe sight, may try the Shaver inserts.

So the four rifles went awesomerific to craptacular.

· Registered
582 Posts
Heading out with:

1. Marlin 995 with tech sights
2. Glenfield 60 with front sight staked in place
3. Glenfield 25 with Williams/ Lyman sights, running mini mags this time
4. Marlin 60SB with Simmons 4x

· Registered
582 Posts
Heading out with:

1. Marlin 995 with tech sights
2. Glenfield 60 with front sight staked in place
3. Glenfield 25 with Williams/ Lyman sights, running mini mags this time
4. Marlin 60SB with Simmons 4x
1. The 995 is Appleseed ready, 100% reliable with CCI SV
2. Minute of squirrel good from the 1980 squirrel stock. I like the aperture sights, just not necessarily the look of the Williams FP-AG on this rifle. If I pick up another Marlin, who am I kidding, WHEN I pick up another Marlin, I will probably get something different for this one.
3. What a difference 500+ fps make, the mini mags are great through this rifle. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I can make circle-circle-circle all concentric around he target with both eyes fully open. Really like the Williams WGRS-54 / Lyman 17A combination.
4. Shot the Appleseed AQT and either shot a 241 or a 236 out of 250. I can't decide if I double holed one the standing shots or had one off the paper. This is a fairly accurate rifle, I think the target crown makes a difference.

· Registered
582 Posts
Ammo test in my Marlin 80G (from 1960 or 1961) with a Simmons 22Mag 3-9X scope. These shots are 25 meters with scope set to 4X shooting prone with a sling. Either 6 or 7 rounds per target, depending on how many I had to make an even row. The outer green circle is 2" diameter and the inner green ring is 1/2" diameter.

I'm surprised. The Remington Thunderbolts and Cyclone grouped well. I'm happy with the CPRN 40 gr Mini Mags and the Aquila SuperExtra. Very dissapointed in any Federal in this rifle.

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Hoping to get some range time this weekend, lots of work needs done, but I may sneak out for a bit.
Yeah I know that feeling but the work will still be there when you get back.:D

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Snuck away for a little paper punching. My new AR (RockRiver 16" fluted SS upper, PSA lower). Yeah, the work was still there when I got back:mad:
Started at 50yds, just to get it on paper, with recycled targets, used backside. Nice grouping, at first, then opened up a bit. I need to practice more.
Then walked it in at 100. Really built it for 200, but that range was busy with a competition shoot.

Attachments

· Registered
582 Posts
Took the Marlin 1894C out this morning. I had mounted the Skinner Express but still had the original front installed. Finally had a chance to shoot it on paper, using American Eagle 158gr JSP .357 Magnum at 50 yards. Nice 3 shot group about 11" high. Tap-tap-tap out comes the factory front, file-file-file on the dovetail of the sight and tap-tap-tap in goes the Skinner post. Absolutely spot on for elevation, but 6" to the right. Tap-tap-tap, about 9" to the right, oh yeah, I'm moving the front sight. Tap-tap-tap the other way a few more times and I'm happy.

Then it down poured and I left the range.

· Registered
582 Posts
Got home from work, brought in the rifles, cleaned the 1894C and while giving it the final wipe down, I notice my bullseye fell out. I know I can get a replacement and I'll go back to the range tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. It's nothing money won't fix, but darn it!

· Registered
582 Posts
Got home from work, brought in the rifles, cleaned the 1894C and while giving it the final wipe down, I notice my bullseye fell out. I know I can get a replacement and I'll go back to the range tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. It's nothing money won't fix, but darn it!
Found the bullseye, right where I left it.

· Registered
582 Posts
Funny how that usually works out!
Ever notice, as soon as you find something, you stop looking for it?
Yup - I tell the kids "(lost item) will be in the last place you look"

· Registered
582 Posts
Marlin 80G, Simmons 22Mag 3-9X (set at 4X), CCI Quiet, 25 meters prone with a sling. The rectangle measures 3/4"x1" on the paper.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Finally took time to get out again. Bench rest.
First up, my Marlin60, Boyds stock, McCarbo springs, Simmons 22mag 3-9 scope. 50yds. Federal bulk pack. Didn't do as well as I thought I, or the gun, could. Then when I was wiping it down to put it away, I found a scope mount screw loose!:eek::(:mad:
Then I pulled out my favorite gun to shoot, Ruger 77/22WMR, Bushnell 3-9 thick reticle. 100yds. Fired some CCI MaxiMag first, a bit high, and some Fiochi which hits in the black, I must have it sighted in for that. I need to settle on an ammo that gun likes and only buy it. I'm also going to replace the scope with the 4-14 Nikon, with the fine reticle.
Then it got too dark.

Attachments

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got out again with the new Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my new AR.
I was looking for a scope that would allow me to see bullet holes at 200yds. Someone (on another 'site) suggested "shoot-n-see" targets, so I picked up a couple. What a disappointment!!! A shooter next to me was shooting at white paper, and I could see his bullet holes, but not mine!
Here's mine, first is shooting 55gr. I thought I was missing, so I kept adjusting my aim, higher then lower. Really P'd me off when I walked up and saw that I was actually hitting.
Second is 62gr, I started getting p'd, and hurrying the shots, still thinking I was missing.
On the plus side, I'm relatively happy with the accuracy, I know I can hit in the black with no problem, but I'm going to send a complaint email to TruGlo, and return the targets.
The one round that shows a bit better , just upper right of center on the second target is from the other shooters .270. I had him try to see if high velocity, small caliber was the problem.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.