Made it to the range again today. I had to find out just how much higher temp and direct sunlight will have on blackpowder loads. From what I saw, using the exact loads and powder I used 3 days before, I had no luck getting the balls to group consistently, unless consistently meant shotgun groups. Next time out, this weekend barring rain and heavy wind, I will see if I can find a good load for that day, whatever the condition.
First day out I had no trouble getting 2 hole 3-5 shot groups. Yesterday it was all I could do to find the holes in the paper/backboard. (I moved the targets out to 40 yards so there is a slight difference in groups expected, but not the amount of difference I experienced Tuesday.) Yesterday I had one good group but I just could not account positively for more than 3 of the 5 shots in a group. 2 distinct holes made by 3 balls, but I could not find the other 2 holes and I know I did not miss the board. The target was placed on a 16x20 sheet of white cardboard and the target was a black 8" Dirty Bird with a 1 1/4" Red Bull. Clean barrel, dirty barrel and super cleaned with solvent and allowed to cool 10 minutes between shots, didn't matter. Ol Viola` just wanted no part of bein out there. Maybe I should have stayed home with her and watched soaps.
Better luck next time.
PS OH! I did find out she despises Triple 7 FF at 60 gr. and 127 or 131 gr ball. I had .015" red and .018" blue pillow ticking patches. She did seem to like the red thin ticking a bit better. Naturally I only had about 10 of them and a whole crapload of the blue. Today I am cutting up the last of a 3 yard purchase of red pillow ticking into 1" squares. These seem to work well with .440" as well as .445" balls. Can't wait to get out again and planned to go again after work today but...I got a bit more sunburned yesterday than I thought. Today I look like a piece of red licorice, only without the twist and with a little bit more girth.