how do get the deer home?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Rich1028, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

how do get the deer home?

ok I'm new to all this hunting stuff,this will be the first year for my wife and I hunting deer.
    so how do you go about fixing it onto the car,or truck?

can you tie it up on the trunk lid?
    or if you have a suv blazer,can you put it up on the roof?

to tell you the truth...I have never paid all that much atention to it before now.

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Great question rich......I can see this taking some humerous twists also. I hope you have gained some information for the other subjects by all us here. Hopefully from this one also.

First thing come to mind is while at Lowes saw a person who had brought a sheet of 4X8 plywood and was highly upset at the staff there because they were having a hard time getting it to attach to the Volkswagon to transport home......:mad:

With that siad does your state require that you present it a "check in station" or can you simply call it in or over the internet do electronic registration ??

I mention this because if you have to Physically check it in probley has to be INTACT.....cant cut it up into quarters disquarding feet and other non usable parts. A lot of people cut up their large game in the field and pack it out. That also makes it easier to stow in vehicles like cars with limited storage area. Of course a Truck with an open bed is ideal, just chuck it in.

A dead deer, even a small one is "dead weight" and if fairly fresh and the body hasnt stiffened up is hard to get to stay on a vehicle top, trunk ect. Takes quite a bit of lashing. Problem with most newer cars is there are no attach points for straps, ropes. Best is a pick-up, next an SUV with faily large storage area. A car with luggage rack or trunk rank would be OK.

With a car I would consider having a small trailer to tow behind. One of those small ones would be fine. In any case have a tarp of some kind to keep blood ect. from getting all over. Of course Murphy's law will prevail, the smaller vehicle you have, the larger deer you will get.....:p

3. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

deer hauler

Rich

I have seen some luggage carriers that hook up to the trailer hitch and then somehow hook to a rear window with straps...or somehow... I am not sure, Anyway, it is the width of a smaller car, and if your car allows a trailer hitch to be attached to your frame, the carrier will work. It just sits on the hitch and will carry considerable weight. I have an Aveo and I cannot use this carrier, so, I removed the back seat (when I moved to TX and I am in no hurry to replace it)...so, a tarp that covers the floor works for me. Just throw the humongous antlered animal into the backseat area and go home. If I could hook the carrier on my car that would be perfect. Here is a link to a local store back in IA where I lived. You should be able to get brand names and maybe even order online from them.
    http://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?fc=&ft=cargo+rack

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the forum.
    My son has a Suzuki Sidekick with a trailer hitch. He uses a small luggage carrier.
    I have used a small trailer. I've also used a pick-up truck.
    With the thin metal that is used in cars today, I would doubt that any part of it, trunk or top, would support the weight w/o being damaged or deformed.
    Depending on the size of your trunk and the size of the deer, you might be able to tie the feet together, stuff the rump and shoulder in the trunk with the legs and head hanging out.
    In the state where I live, a deer must be in one piece until the hunter gets it home. For me, that stinks because I'm too old and worn out to drag or lift a deer by myself.
    Keep in mind the suggestion of using a tarp or sheet of plastic if you transport in the vehicle. Aside from the blood, Deer are carriers of Ticks that will crawl off and into your vehicle after the deer is dead.

5. Rich1028

thanks for the replies..
    I'll have to look into that...

6. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

In looking at Michigans regulations looks like you have to keep the head with you while you transport it home, along with the kill tag. Michigan has tele-check and VOLINTARY CHECK IN STATIONS if you want to present you game for examination and checking for CWD and other problems if it dont look right.

Otherwise you can cut it up in the field. You should be able to pick up a copy of the regulations from ANY place that sells the permits, Wal-Mart or others. Here they are free and should be there. Of course you can call them (MDR) Michigan Department of Resourses and ASK. I have called Missouri Conservation and asked for clairfication on a couple of issues not cleary defined in their rules. Just be sure to document WHO AND WHEN YOU talked to just in case something comes up latter about the issue.

7. Rich1028

thanks again for the help!

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I had a Blazer and would trhow a tarp and the deer in the back

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Rich
    I tow a small 6 x 4 trailer, if I am travelling any kind of distance. I drive an 11 year old Nissan Patrol. (not sure what it is called in the States, but it could be an Infinity, before that I had a Nissan Fronteer, and everything was easy)
    Shooting locally, I cut it up into 1/4's.
    If I drop a Fallow, I just chuck it in the back, same with a Chital.
    Sambar, gets hung up in a tree, and covered with a bed sheet, back in camp, till we are ready to come home, then 1/4's.

Cheers
    Bucky

First I have covered the vehicle's carpet, in the back, with an oversized off-cut, left over from when I built our house
    I carry plenty of Sulo Bin liners ( very large plastic bags)
    I also carry a large bed sheet, for obvious reasons.
    Knives, and a folding pruning saw, (for bones)

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

11. Rich1028

so will this work??

[​IMG]

just joking...I found this pic on the net.

12. ErnieKY

ErnieKY Member

We always field dressed ASAP. If it was warm like during early bow or muzzleloader season we would hose it down good inside and out to cool it a little. Then we just threw them in the back of the truck and put a few bags of ice in the cavity. If you have a car or smaller SUV you may be better off skinning in the field and placing the quartered carcass in coolers for the trip home.

13. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Words of caution are:

1. Ditto on the ticks. They are usually crawling on me by the time I'm done skinning mine. Try to keep them outside the passenger cabin.

2. Deer blood can be bad on gun bluing and I try to keep it off painted surfaces.

I've been fortunate to have a pickup but that's where I keep all my other stuff. I use a smaller trailer if there will be room to maneuver it where I hunt. If space is tight then I use a receiver hitch mounted luggage rack. Bring along a small tarp and duct tape if it will be snowing or raining on the trip home. Saves cleaning road grime off your delicious, fresh venison.

14. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Gut and quarter it, on the spot, and place it onto some plastic, or into some plastic bags, just to get it back to camp, without leaving blood stains, all over the inside of your vehicle. I leave the skin on, as this helps to protect the flesh, also.
    I also have some old carpet over the rear section as well, just in case, blood leaks oout.
    Bag it and head home, or hang it up in a tree, if you are camped up
    Once in camp I remove all plastic, and cover everything with a breathable cloth.
    I use old Bed Sheets, or Doona covers, from Opportunity shops (they are cheaper)

Caution....!!!!
    Do not leave it in plastic bags too long, but a couple of hours is fine.

15. hombre243

1985 I shot a 12 point Whitetail: 168 6/8 score on the Boone and Crockett...nice rack but not huge. I had never shot a big buck before so I was like Rich...how to get it home. I was driving a 77 Nova. It had a big trunk so that is where the buck went. Field dress at 234 lbs. (Illinois deer.)

The antlers spread over 23 inches with the tallest tine of 14", so I couldn't shut the trunk lid. I was wearing a camo overall and it served well to pad the head and antlers, which I had to leave sticking outside the trunk lid. I snugged the lid down on the head and behind the antlers, with bungee cords. I had about a half hour drive to the check in station and I had to drive over some 4 lane roads. I noticed a couple cars go by and the first one gave me a thumbs up. The next one was a guy and a gal, and the lady was doing the thumbs in the ears thing making like she had antlers...know what I mean? I laughed but never thought much about it. Several people got in behind me in the line of traffic and followed me to the check station. Cool...I have a fan club.

I pulled in and I saw a crowd of people...hunters and others standing around pointing and doin the antlers thing...and they were wagging their tongues. When I saw the deer head when I went to open the trunk lid, I saw what they were laughing about. I didn't secure the jaws shut and there was about a foot of tongue hanging out just swinging in the breeze. I can imagine what it was doing at 60 miles an hour.

There was a guy there at the check in being a bit obnoxious almost demanding I tell him where I shot the deer. I told him...in the neck...and he got PO'd and said, no, on what property? I told him to buzz off. My hunting spot was private property. He said he would find out on the check in map when I registered. So, I told the ranger...just put down Big River. My spot was 5 acres. Big River is about 2500 acres. It didn't make me feel good when I lied but I will not give up my hunting location when I promised to keep the location to myself. Anyway, the guy went away feeling all smug when he found out my spot. It was obvious he never heard of Big River WMA in Illinois.

However you have to...that is my way of lookin at it. I always carry a tarp and a rope. There are rollup deer drags also that do a good job of hauling and protecting what you are hauling in. Just be sure to protect the carcass from dirt and direct sun if possible. Do not haul it with the guts in...field dress it and make sure you cut out as much of the wind pipe as possible.

There are other things to keep in mind when field dressing that are specific to trophy heads. Basically, make sure you leave a lot of the cape for the taxidermist. The taxidermist needs extra skin for tucking and also for patching holes left by dragging and bullet or other holes.

Get it home, get it hung and skinned. (there are different thoughts here so a little research to find what sounds best for you will help you decide how to begin the process of aging the meat if you care to do so. I do not take my deer to be processed anymore. I like to get MY deer meat back, and I want ALL of it.)

Have fun and make sure you wear kitchen gloves when handling it...especially the bloody parts.

Forgot to mention cheese cloth bags/game bags available (for sure) at Gander Mountain. I bet Cabelas and other sporting goods outlets have them also. They are not real expensive and they let the carcass breath and cool while still protecting them from dirt and dust. Not to mention car exhaust. Gassy smelling fumes can cost you a buck...or all your doe. (Sorry...couldn't resist.):D

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  16. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

An Awesone Picture Mate
    I would love to go down the Freeway In Melbourne,( Oz) loaded like that
    Imagine all the animal libbers, crying their bleeding hearts out

Well Done Mate

17. Rich1028

where buying a small trailer to pull behind our car this year.
    last year we rented a pick up truck.

18. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I think this works better!!!

Attached Files:

19. hombre243

New TV show

Would this program be called "The Moosters?"; "The Life of Moosey?"or, "That's a LOTTA Bull...winkle."
    :D

20. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I do have a dog named Bullwinkle. His brothers name is Rocky, lol.