Marlin Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Gumpy,(started by a grandaughter) AKA Richard. I'm from Scottsboro, AL, about a 10 minute drive from Lake Guntersville! The only Marlin I have now is a Levermatic in .30 caliber carbine. Great gun! When I was in my teens I had a Marlin 30-30, don't know what model, just remember the long throw on it.
Lookin forward to getting to know everyone! Sounds like an informative forum.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey Gumpy

My name is Gumpy,(started by a grandaughter) AKA Richard. I'm from Scottsboro, AL, about a 10 minute drive from Lake Guntersville! The only Marlin I have now is a Levermatic in .30 caliber carbine. Great gun! When I was in my teens I had a Marlin 30-30, don't know what model, just remember the long throw on it.
Lookin forward to getting to know everyone! Sounds like an informative forum.
I had a buddy once who I called Gump. I know you aint him because he didn't like the name:cool:.

Welcome. Be sure to wear boots and helmet. Have fun.:D

·
Registered
853 Posts
Welcome to the fun Gumpy.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Welcome to our friendly little group.
Glad to have you with us.

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
Very nice Gumpy...

The Levermatic is actually a Marlin 62, manufactured between 1963-1969, which came chambered in either the .256 Win Mag or the .30 Carbine fed from a box magazine.

The Levermatic differed from the traditional lever-action rifle, such as the Marlin 39A, in that it employed a cam-and-roller system giving it an extremely smooth and short lever motion to reload a new cartridge. This cam-and-roller system was originally invented by Kessler Arms Company for their "Lever-Matic" shotgun. Following Kessler's dissolution, Marlin licensed the idea and began producing rifles using a similar design.

·
Registered
853 Posts
OMG Gumpy that's a beauty. That would be an awesome out the back door deer rifle around my house.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very nice Gumpy...

The Levermatic is actually a Marlin 62, manufactured between 1963-1969, which came chambered in either the .256 Win Mag or the .30 Carbine fed from a box magazine.

The Levermatic differed from the traditional lever-action rifle, such as the Marlin 39A, in that it employed a cam-and-roller system giving it an extremely smooth and short lever motion to reload a new cartridge. This cam-and-roller system was originally invented by Kessler Arms Company for their "Lever-Matic" shotgun. Following Kessler's dissolution, Marlin licensed the idea and began producing rifles using a similar design.
I did some research on the rifle a couple of years ago by the serial #. The best I can tell it was manufactured in 1966. My uncle bought just after going to 'Nam, so that would be about right!! It's one of the best balanced and accurate guns I have owned. Just wish sometimes it was a heavier caliber. Still, my son and one of my grandsons killed their first deer with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts