hum.. what to do? 336 35 cal

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by dads81-DL, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Well, a local mom and pops sporting goods store has a Marlin 336 35 cal for sale. I did not look at it for long and dont know the age. One big notice was a lot of wear on the fore stock and a bit on rear stock. Their asking $399.00 . I know this is not a lot of information, but do you have any thoughts. ???????

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

wear on the stock is not an issue that can be re-finished..If it has a clean bore and cycles good I`d go for it, 336 30-30s go for $350-$400 fair condition these parts..35s are harder to find

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I was looking at one just like it in a pawn shop in Scottsboro, AL. The condition sounds about the same and they wanted $245 for it. They said they would swap even for my S&W special pre 10 revolver. I almost took them up on it!! I was unsure of the effectiveness for deer hunting.

4. oldbrass

Gumpy I bought my 336w in Ozark, al at Cliff`s gun shop years ago, even then $150.00 was a good deal. Man If there was a 35 here for $245 folks would be fightin over it.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Why does everybody else find the good deals?

6. Gumpy

Think I will go back over there. I may be frozen in though lol.

7. Gumpy

Got to town and the pawn shop and they were closed!! Due to the "BIG" snow.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Four bills seems a little high for a run of the mill 336. If it was pre CBS that would make it a little more appealing. If it was a SC I would be all over it. Maybe offer $350 and see what happens.

@Gumpy....the .35rem is an excellent deer rifle if all your shooting is under 200yds. Not that it won't kill them past that distance, it just requires more thinking on your part.

9. Gumpy

This part of Alabama is thick woods and big hills. Unless you shooting over a bean field or something like that 100 yds is a long shot. For that I use a .270.

10. oldbrass

I hunted in Geneva county on a friends property. 80 yards was the longest shot in the clearing...perfect 30-30 territory

11. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

The Marlin 336 in 35 rem. is a populare deer gun,caliber combo in Michigan

12. dads81-DL

I went back and ask about any info on it while picking up a turkey call to practice on. They said their sure it's pre 68. I'd haven't talked price, but was in a hurry to go to my uncles 80th birthday party. spoke to another uncle and he was thinking $250.00. So maybe just go and toss them a price and see their response.

13. dads81-DL

Looked at it today while picking up a scope for my wife. The 336 is an SC , pre 1968.

14. Hyphenated

dads81...FYI pre-68 really is irrelevant, other than it is an older model. The pre-83 seems to be the favorite dividing line for Marlin guys. That's the start of the CBS.

An early model 35rem SC is a good find. If it is in reasonably good condition $400 is a fair price. In some locals it might be considered a little high, but it's all about what's popular in your area. Obviously, in WY it might be a hard sell.

Keep us posted

15. dads81-DL

I know it's been there well over a year. I spoke to a gunsmith that they source their work out to. And he was telling me no more than 325.00.

16. dads81-DL

Just as I was thinking on getting it. The trans in my truck is starting to slip:( So, guess where that cash is going. Lol

17. Gumpy

Somebody beat me to the one I was looking at. Snoozed and I loozed!!

18. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

No worries , you wouldn't have liked it anyways .
    Dang bluing wears off after a 1/2 century or so of carrying it in the woods .

[​IMG]

Just a beater for crappy weather

[​IMG]

Critters don't seem to like the 35 rem for some reason though :eek:

[​IMG]

19. Gumpy

Yeah, it looks like a sorry old gun!!! lol

20. Hyphenated

Very nice pics there 1894. Great looking old rifle.