I counted my Marlins (bragging thread)

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by MattNH, Nov 30, 2014.

1. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

I counted my Marlins, but lost track. I did add a few more last weekend!
    A Marlin Ballard Schoyen schuetzen rifle. .32-40:
    [​IMG]

A Marlin Ballard Rigby Model .40-63 Ballard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a Marlin Ballard #1 1/2 in .45-70 caliber. (bottom):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    msharley likes this.
  2. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

3. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Added 2 more rimfires, $231.15 for both

Model 100 from 1935-1938 (based on the trigger guard and butt plate style)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model 99M1 with original sight from 1967 (based on BK code stamped on barrel)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey Matt,

You are an example, to us all. :D

Great looking "Ballards" (and the rest of your "collection" as well):cool:

Later, Mark

5. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Finished the restoration of the Schoyen Ballard shown above. Stripped all the metal to rust blue the barrel, and case color the receiver. Reshaped the buttstock and forearm wood, and replaced the missing grip adapter with one I built:

[​IMG]

And soon after another old Ballard found me. A #7 Long Range Creedmoor in .44-100 Ballard Everlasting. One of 12 known. Deluxe wood with horn tip, and checkering. 34" Creedmoor half octagon barrel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Then last week I located a crusty brown colored Ballard Pacific. After over 5 hours of cleaning I found an almost brand new gun under whatever was applied to the metal! It's in .40-85 Ballard Everlasting, and bore is minty!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

What did you use to clean the metal?

8. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Cleaning was a pain, and I was worried it might not come clean! I first removed the wood and tried degreaser, as I thought it might be cosmolene. Then I tried Hoppes #9, and still not budging. Finally went to the acetone, and it softened it, but dried so fast it solidified again! I had to wet a very small area with acetone, and then wipe with a clean cloth quickly!
    I ended up breaking it all down to individual pieces to clean the gunk off. Only left the barrel and receiver together. Even had to remove the sights, as the gunk stayed around the sight bases, and couldn't brush it off. The acetone eats up plastic brush bristles, so I could only use bronze wool with it to remove it, and not harm the metal.
    In the end the effort really paid off, and I sure wasn't expecting such a pristine old Ballard under all the gunk! Was planning on taking the rare sights off, and moving it along with stock sights. Now I'll probably move my other Pacific in .45-70 instead. It's a nice gun also, but not in the same league as this one.

9. Hammer

Hammer Member

Never can you have one too many marlins!

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

What happened to the pictures

11. msharley

Hey 4,

Guessing about 2 months ago? Photo Bucket wants folk to pay them (PB) to put their pics on a "third person" forum? (some weasel word krap) Fellow on another forum says the PB wants near $300.........to "ransom" his pics? (he takes great pics)

Since I have the "can & string internet co" (aka windstream) I never went the Photo Bucket route.

Later, Mark

12. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

yeah - my photos have been kidnapped by Photobucket and I'm not paying the ransom

I put 2 new pictures for another thread on Imgur, but haven't gone back and found all my older ones to reload them

But I'm up to 21 Marlin rifles with 19 of them being rimfire, and I have shot everyone of them

msharley likes this.
  13. msharley

Hey Matt,

You have a real handle.............on your Marlinitis!! LOL

Later, Mark

444lover likes this.
  14. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

The hunt for number 20 rimfire is on and that will be it. Yeah right, until number 21 comes along...

444lover and msharley like this.
  15. Anvilhead

Anvilhead Member

That sounds like me with my ‘03 Springfield’s. Funny but I enjoy the Marlins better.

msharley likes this.