I think I will have some of that Humble pie...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Nov 6, 2016.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Where are you from? I was born in the Quad Cities!

3. hombre243

Born and raised hell in East Moline. I live in Dewitt IA now.

4. Gumpy

Small, small world! Me too! Moved to Alabama when I was 5 years old.

5. hombre243

Do you remember the address? I lived up on the hill. 30 ave and 4th Street A.

6. Gumpy

1649 25th Street was the last place we lived. Don't know why I remember this! ?

7. hombre243

Sure it wasn't Moline? I don't think East Moline has that many streets without taking some from Silvis IL...next door neighbor. The map I looked at went to N. 21 street and no higher.

But if it is in Moline, I can almost see the neighborhood with my eyes closed. I had an aunt and uncle and cousins who lived on that street at about that avenue. Do you remember if 25th street is a steep hill?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  8. Gumpy

Did some research. It was 25th Avenue in Moline. But i was born in East Moline. 25th avenue is one street over from 16th street. That street went downtown.

9. hombre243

Well, I know where 25 ave is and where 16th street is. There was an old Treavor Hardware store right about 25 ave, and a teskes Pet store across the street somewhere. Treavors being on the north side of 16th street, Teskes on the other. Back in them thar days there was not much past 23rd ave except houses.

If you have Google Earth and know the addresses, look then up. I bet nothing looks familiar.

10. hombre243

Here ya go Gumpy: Here is what your original stompin grounds looks like now, and also my old house too.

Teskes Seed and Feed is the big red building catty cornered from the donut shop. My dad's store is the building just down the road at 2117 16th street and my old house when I was married is on the corner of 14 st and 20 ave.
    I had to change the pic of my old house. I got the first image of my friend's house a block away. I thought it looked strange but this is the right one. This is was where I lived 11 years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  11. Gumpy

It's weird looking at places we used to live. Did you go to school at Garfield elementary school or John Deer jr. High?

12. hombre243

No, I was an East Moliner. I moved to Moline later.