Marlin Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Marlin 22's. They are relatively cheap, easy to work on and accurate enough for me to generally hit where I'm aiming at reasonable distances.

I read on other sites:

"I shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yds with my CZ and Elay" Sorry, but with a $600+ rifle, $400+ optic, $200+ bench rest and $200+/brick ammo - you better.

"I love my 10/22, most accurate $200 rifle out there" Yeah, after a new barrel, new springs, trigger, new extractor, Boyd stock and bolt work. What are you left with? The 10/22 receiver and magazine?

I'll take any of my Marlin rifles and CCI standard velocity everyday and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was actually looking for a 10/22 until I read that Marlins were more accurate, and then found out, much less expensive. I paid $80+$20 shipping, spent $30 on a Mcarbo kit, $18 on a needed buffer, $20 for a scope after rebate, and $100 on a Boyds stock. Next will be a $40 Duracoat. So for a little more than a stock 10/22, I should have a really nice Marlin.
I would have had as much in a 10/22 as in my ar's with likely no better accuracy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a very expensive bench rifle that will shoot a very tight group (10/22 not one Ruger part on it Nothing), I have a Remington 540X that is excellent on the bench. My Model 60 gets shot more than any of the rest and is good on accuracy with out the expensive SV ammo.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have nothing against bench rest shooting. I understand it and appreciate it, I just don't do it. My preference is "plinking", shooting the center out a target in one very big ragged group and hitting reactive targets, lately that has been golf balls on a string. I also get the occasional squirrel. My Marlin's can do that without breaking the bank.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Amen. You're preaching to the choir now, Mr Old brass!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Problem is a can't stop at one 22 LR on have 8 now and that still does not get the craving over with. I am a sick man :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem is a can't stop at one 22 LR on have 8 now and that still does not get the craving over with. I am a sick man :)
I hear ya, I got Marlin rimfire #9 Dec 23rd and #10 on Jan 2nd. Plus the 2 Remington's and my Father-in-law's Winchester. I even have enough parts to put another Marlin together with a little effort.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's something to be said for the heft of the 39As. Don't know about the new "Remlin" ones, but my 1951 feels like it's a 30-30.

The 10/22 on the other hand...bleck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts