Marlin Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day, on Sunday the 10th I will take possession of a model 1889. I've never owned a Marlin, a few Winchester 94s but no Marlins. Since it's over 130 year old I want to take it apart, inspect and clean it before I try to fire it. I've been looking for days but can find no info on dismantling an 1889. If anyone knows where to get a step by step guide or advice on this I would appreciate knowing.

Thank you,
Al

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe, I have spent hours in front of the monitor looking for u-tube videos of the 1889 but haven't come across one detailing dismantle and reassembly yet. I've taken down a 94 but every model is different and even some of the same models built years apart have slight differences. I'm just being overly cautious as I don't want to remove a screw and have a small spring or metal part fly across the garage to be lost forever.
Al

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.
Looks like the firing pin is one piece, according to Numrich parts diagram.

I found a step by step explanation on the Marlin owners forum from 2017. I have it all apart except I didn't take the barrel off the receiver. Has a lot of oil sprayed inside but pretty dirty, all the screws are damaged somewhat so someone has taken it apart at some time but it hasn't had a thorough cleaning for many years. A lot of wear but I think everything will function as it should after I clean all the parts and get it back together. Speaking of which, anyone know what to soak all the parts in to get the gunk off? I was thinking of letting it soak in Varsol for a day or so then blowing it all off with compressed air.
Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.