Marlin Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all. Disclaimer: I have spent a large portion of my career working in and around new Marlin, but shamefully I have been able to collect little knowledge of some of the older versions of the brand.
I have recently inherited a square bolt, square loop .30-30 rifle. Despite my familiarity with the brand, I can locate very few markings on the rifle.
On the barrel is simply states “The Marlin Firearms Corporation - Special Smokeless Steel” and a single .30-30 marking.
The only two markings I can find on the receiver are on the top of it, reading MARLIN SAFETY. On the bottom tang of the receiver, it simply reads 1247.
I have yet to start to disassemble the rifle to look for other markings and or serial numbers, simply out of caution.
This rifle has a tubular flip up rear peep sight that is mounted to the top tang.

Can anyone tell me what the 1247 is indicating, and on a rifle of this sorts, where the serial number may be hiding or any other markings ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remove the rear tang sight and it should give the model number either model 1893,or 93 or 1936 or 36the serial may be 1247,or it maybe under the front of the reciever ,just before the fore arm.
you say “working around new Marlin” did you forget an ‘s’ or do you mean working around the new Marlin Company( an employee) sometimes punctuation or lack of a letter can confuse the meaning ,sorry. Square loop say’s it’s a 1893 or 93 ,in your case it’s a model 93,(after 1920)how long is the barrel,is there a saddle ring on the left rear reciever,and what other sights are on it.it’s an it says 30/30 so it was made no earlier than probably 1895( when 30/30 was introduced).( also in your case after 1920 )also is the reciever blued or case hardened ?From your info,the rifle was made after 1920 when the entity became the Marlin Firearms corporation, serial is probably 1247 on the lower tang under the lever,if you remove the stock it could be marked on the stock as well as the side of the upper tang near the hammer in small numbers hidden by the stock when assembled. If there is a bullseye in the stock it was made after 1922# .
To summarize: Sorry for the dis organized info,I was researching,Your rifle is a model “93” made after 1920 ,if it has a bullseye, after 1922.it should have a case hardened reciever ,ser.no.1247 and might be drilled and tapped for the Hepburn sight on top of the reciever.the tang sight might be original or added later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts