It continues !!

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by SWO1, Apr 25, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I added another .22 pistol to the collection for use on the Bullseye course. It's a brand new H&R Mod. 999 Sportsman ( well as new as you can get ). According to the Ser. one of the last ones made, late 90's by H&R 1871. Produced after H&R shut down, reopened as 1871 when optained by Marlin. Then when Remington purchased Marlin Pistol production was shut down for good....:mad:. I understand they still have the equipment sitting there doing nothing.

This one is in 95+ condition. Just a slight goober on the butt. Otherwise looks as though it has never been fired. H&R produced Target grips for all the earlier models except for the last runs. So I will be making my own, if I don't like the stock ones. Also I will have it drilled and tapped for a red dot.

Attached Files:

• 999.png
      File size:
      53.2 KB
  2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That is a great revolver. I've been looking for one of those. May I ask how much it set you back??
    Congrats. Great find.

3. SWO1

He wanted $ it for $400 OTD. Checking the H&R collector site new condition 999s go for $450-500. He took this one on trade on a High $$ Smith .357. He gave me a call and I ran over there and checked it out. He held it for me while I Came home and checked the sites and called him back and made the deal. Of course it all depends on the area and how bad someone wants one. My brother-in-law has an earlier model (1951) if I remember correctly. Probley about 70% condition. Shoots pretty good still. He gave $100 for it about 5 years ago.

Now I'm on the lookout for a H&R single shot target pistol. Held the record ( have to check and see which one and if it still does). Don't know how rare they are or the $$$ they demand.

The difference between Men and Boys are the Price of their Toys.......:D
  4. SWO1

Here is a pic of the H&R U.S.R.A. Single Shot Target Pistol along with a link to the story behind it. Very Interesting. IF anyone happens to come across one let me know, I would be very interested in obtaining it.

Attached Files:

5. SWO1

Tomorrow, Monday, the H&R 999 goes to the Smith to be drilled and tapped. I will put a rail on and can mount a red dot or scope. The iron sights although not bad don't do it justice for as good as it shoots, I'm a thinkin....:p

From other sites others have used a Weaver Mod. 82 and it works well on it. Will go to Bass Pro Shop Smith. They charge $15 a hole for the work. The shop at the indoor range has a good selection of rails and sights.

I have a BSA 2x6 PISTOL scope and several red dots and will see what works best.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Let us know how it works out...
  7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That's a nice lookin' pistola! Good find, and good luck on your search!
  8. SWO1

Back from Bass Pro. Put the H&R 999 in for Drill & Tap and Rail install. It takes a Marlin 336 rail. Will Have it back in about 4 weeks. They are stacked up. $15 a hole ( 3 holes) plus $9 for the rail.

Waiting for the smith talked to the range guy. They have a 6 lane 50' indoor pistol range (open to the public) and a 2 lane 50 yard rifle range. Next year will open a 22 lane new pistol range along with a 200 yard indoor rifle range and an INDOOR SKEET RANGE...:eek:

Also checked the gun shop. Loaded with pistols and rifles. But....NO AMMO or reloading stuff....:( Had an entire rack of ARs...along with every make, caliber, auto, revolver in pistol.....even Desert Eagles. 45s from $350 to $2700. They were even out of primers today.

Advice: If you ever visit the Main store in Springfield MO....Don't go on a weekend. Its like the Worlds Fair. A$$ Hole to Belly Button all day long. Monday Mornings are great. Very few people and you can find a parking spot. Its the largest attraction in the State of Missouri.....:cool: