Marlin Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having a jamming problem in my 1926 marlin 94 in .38-40 cal. I don't believe it's is the dreaded marlin jam problem, though. My problem i think has more to do with carrier rocker's function. I'm not getting the second round flooding into the chamber like you get in the normal marlin jam. What is happening to me is the round comes into the chamber and the carrier seems to drop down enough so the cartridge doesn't stay lined up so it can be pushed into chamber. It's like weight of the round is too heavy and the carrier is being pushed down. Isn't the job of the rocker to hold the carrier up long enough so the bolt can then push the round into the chamber? As far as my rocker goes i can push it back and forth in the carrier but it doesn't have any return spring pressure. Not sure if mine is supposed to have a spring or not, but it doesn't feel like it does. just remains in what ever position i leave it. may have to take the gun apart and pull the rocker to see if there is supposed to be a spring or if it's damaged. But just wondering if any of you have any thoughts to my problem. thanks joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe, but i think my problem has something to do with my rocker. Was just hoping someone on here had dealt with the different types of carrier/rockers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 carriers and both do not have a spring in them. Also neither are worn where the lever contacts the carrier to lift it. My jamming problem happens maybe 1 out of every 10 rounds. The round comes into the chamber but doesn't stay high enough when the bolt comes forward to chamber it. I have to tip the gun side ways so the round moves into position than run the bolt forward.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at part number 10/11 on this page:

... There seems to be a spring on the carrier rocker (early models). Have you examined your carrier rocker?

I doubt it is the groove on the lever, but I would still compare it to another early '94 lever as well.

Regards,
Patrick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pat from what i have seen some carriers like i believe the one you referenced from numrich are made so the rocker can not pivote out either side of the carrier. In other words they can only move in one direction in the carrier cause the carrier has one side blocked. In that type i think they do have a spring, but for my carrier/rocker i can move the rocker out of the carrier to both sides, so a spring would not be able to be contained in it. Yes i have had the rocker out of one of the carriers i have. The other one i can't get the retaining pin out of it. but i can move both rockers and they have no spring tension on them. Which ever way i move them they stay in that position. I have seen this same discussion come up on the Marlin firearms collectors association forum, but for some reason i couldn't join that forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Joe, One more thing I would try... and you may have already done this.

I rebuild old clocks and watch movements and do a little bit of gunsmithing. One of the things I would do is disassemble your carrier and I would clean and polish the pivot points. If the rifle functions 90% of the time but hangs up just some of the time there could be old grease and dirt and dust causing intermittent failure.

This is almost always the cause for failure and clocks and watches and sometimes guns.

In this case I would clean and polish the carrier pivot hole and the carrier screw that goes through both sides of the receiver.

Regards,
Patrick

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you haven't tried this... I would do so and after reassembly I would use the smallest amount of light synthetic/gun oil on that pivot point.

...and I do mean the smallest/tiniest amount. I would use a toothpick to pick up a drop of oil and place it on the carrier screw before inserting it back through the carrier.

Also, if you do polish with a compound, make sure to remove it with an ultrasonic cleaner or a soak in some denatured alcohol.

This will ensure you have no friction at that pivot point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep already pulled the screw and replaced it with a new screw. Thought maybe my original one had wore too much allowing the carrier too much flop. But that didn't change anything. I can't remember if i cleaned the carrier screw hole. Next time i break it down i'll give it some attention. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts