Just got two Glenfield Squirrels

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by Spud9, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I just bought two Glenfield 60's with the squirrels on them, one is in good condition one is in great condition. (I will post pics of them later) Anyone have an idea of what the stocks are worth. I got one as a parts gun and the other I may keep. Got them both for $150. The one in great condition is in really great condition. Looks like it was hardly used and been sitting in a closet for years. They had a third that I could get for around $30 bucks but the gun is in real bad shape. Maybe I will get it, refurb the rifle... project gun.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

You done good. Congrats on finding those very desirable squirrel rifles (at least in the eyes of a Marlin lover). Let's hope the word doesn't get out before I find one for myself. :))
    And welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

for $30 i would go ahead and get it, just because there are probably some valuable and useable parts in it.

good score on the other two! definately a good buy. enjoy them now.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Awesome find...can't wait to see the pics !!

5. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Ok, Axxe, I took your advise and bought the other Model 60. I can either use it as parts or rehab/restore it. I also got a 10/22 in the deal. Prices were too good to pass up. The 10/22 is in excellent shape, looks like it was hardly use.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

for the price you can't go wrong. even if you only salvaged a few parts, you are still ahead of the game. good score and post some pictures when you get a chance, as we would like to see them.

7. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I get them next Wed. I will post pics then.

8. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I got three squirrels.
    IMG_0308.jpg

The top one is 1981 in very good/excellent condition, the middle is 1979 in good condition and the bottom is 1972 in poor condition.

I plan on keeping the top one as is. The bottom one is in very bad condition but I may take some time and restore it. The middle is in good condition but may part it out and I may sell a some of the parts and stock. Havent made a final decision on that.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do with all these guns?

9. enduroguy

enduroguy Member

There's a squirrel version over at Lee's Pawn shop on 441 in Margate but it's in bad shape and they won't negotiate off their asking price of $125
    I was going to be very generous and offer $80...but when I asked if they would take an offer, their reply was 'The price marked is the out the door price".

I passed on it. It's dinged up, the feed tube is damaged, TONS of filth and dirt and there appears to be some corrosion.
    This one has been neglected badly.

When I saw the price of $125 I thought to myself they're nuts.

On top of that, they weren't exactly friendly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I got these at Rick Pawn on 441 just north of Commercial. If you are looking for pawn shops down here with a good assortment and will deal, Rick's, Peoples Pawn, A to Z on Dixie and Oakland or on Dixie just north of Sample. If it is in that bad a shape I wouldn't pay more than $50 to $60. It is worth that in parts alone.

11. SHOOTER13

Real nice score...how about a close up pic of the squirrel carvings ( stampings ? )

for those of us that like that kinda stuff..?!

12. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Hey Shooter.. I will get some better pics soon. I also found and bought another one... 1972 in very good condition. Almost looks new. That make 4 squirrels. Someone stop me....... I plan on refurbing all of them. I will keep you posted once I get the time to start on them.

13. SHOOTER13

Awesome man...can't wait for the group pictures ! ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

Awesome Spud. Can't wait to hear if that '72 has the ejector wire. :)

15. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

If I would stop buying guns, finish getting my gunsmith shop ready, then maybe I can open up a couple of guns, start working on them and look at the ejector wire..... Oh, also picked up a 1891 Mauser too...
    Stop the insanity!!!!

16. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

Boy, what a problem. :)

17. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Active Member

I'd probably give them away to that 'eldar' feller just cuz I'm a such good person...

eldar

18. enduroguy

enduroguy Member

Thanks Spud.

I'm on the hunt for a Squirrel version from late 70's (I think)

I'll eventually find it. I don't mind paying a bit more for a really good one but the one over at Lee's was pathetic and they want TOP dollar for it. No thanks.

I took the one I have to the range a few weeks ago and sighted in my new scope. Shot nearly 100 rounds with no one error. REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE the Marlin Model 60. Not sure why. Just do. :D

The one I have has the last round action hold open feature. I hear that's a desirable feature?
    I kinda like it but it's not a biggie to me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  19. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

The Squirrel was on the Glenfield 60 from 1966 till 1982, I think. I got all 4 of mine for between $40 and $100. I got my hands on a 72 and 81 in very very good shape and an 79 that needs alittle tlc and another 72 that needs a full restore. I plan on restoring the 79 and beat up 72. I would not pay any more than $125 for one unless it looks like it just came out of the box. In the pawn shop world, keep offering them a fair price and eventually they will come down, or have a couple of friends go in on different days and make low ball offers and if they don't sell it to them, go in a few days later and ask them to sell for a fair/reasonable price. Gotta play the game with some of these guys. If you find one that needs TLC, it isn't too hard to fix it up yourself or send it out and have it fully restored. They are not considered collectible, except to Marlin lovers. I plan on fixing up and reselling eventually. I probably won't get what I will put into them but I love the gun. Gun restoration is one of my businesses so I am set up to do that kind of thing, but it really isn't that difficult to do with a little time and patience. Besides after you finish you will have a rifle you will be very proud to own. It's not always about the money. You will find it, just keep looking. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Just a little side note...I was lookin for computer paper and went into my friend's storage room and saw his brother has a Mod 60 squirrel patterned rifle. He isn't around now but he should be here by the 22. I will see if he wants to sell it. What is a good condition rifle going for? Looks like it needs a good dusting off but I didn't handle it much since he isn't here...just enough to see if it was loaded. I am not really lookin for another 22 but maybe one of you is.