Lessons learned gun safety

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by FOUR4D4, Dec 8, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I'm ashamed to admit this but have you ever done anything with your firearms your ashamed of
    First time I was firing my revolver i had my one hand a little to close to the cylinder and felt a rush of air.I didn't get burned or hurt but it taught me a lesson and never again.

How not to shoot a Revolver

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU[/ame]

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

We never stop learning bud. Just this morning shooting the Taurus 2" .357 I did the same thing. With .38s wasnt any problem. But with the small frame and with .357 took just one round to change by two handed grip. No harm but I did feel it.

3. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

thanks for the tip.
    I and the wife have glocks...but it's always good to learn something new.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I have a lesson to tell you about auto handguns.Back a few years ,when I was shooting my Smith SW99 at the range when a ejected 45 brass hit the partition wall between the shooting lane next to me and bounced and landed between my glasses and lower eye lid.OUCH

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That sounds excruciating.

6. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

my wife and I were shooting at a indoor range for the first time,I was on her left side my empties where going over the wall between us and hitting her.

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

When I was 10, I was using my Grandfathers 16 gauge single shot to squirell hunt. It took both hands to cock the hammer back and I could not let it off without the gun firing. I cocked the gun to shoot at a squirrel and then could not get a shot at it. So I was walking around with a cocked shotgun!! While crossing a 'bobwire' fence, it went off and I killed a fencepost about 2 feet from my head. Lesson learned and never forgotten and passed down to kids and grandkids. I still have that shotgun too.

8. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I function checked an old 12ga pump before I put the butt stock back on. In a very sudden fashion a load of bird shot went into my ceiling. Two lessons learned. Never function check with live ammo! And never function check a partially assembled gun! I'm sure I griped the receiver with my finger through the trigger guard.

But I do shoot revolvers with my left hand forward of the cylinder barrel gap. Been stung a million times...never bothers me. My left hand is black with soot after a revolver shoot.