Marlin Forums banner

Lever Help

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  duster066 
#1 ·
Just joined the forum. Great place.

Seems this has been asked many times, but I'm still confused.

Fresh from the store with a new 1894SS .44. Trying to figure if it's a remlin? The rolls are very difficult to read. One side seems to be "EP" with the "E" barely readable. A capital "T" clearly visible right after. The other side appears to be "BG".

s/n: 9181xxxx

Barrel is stamped New Haven.

It was so hard to find, I just bought it on the spot.

As a kid, my matched 1894s (357/44) were such incredible guns. How dumb to sell them decades ago.

Thank you for any advice you might have. Fit & finish is ok, but seems like my oldies were better? So many things are better when you're a kid!

Best,
Mark

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks Axxe,

I'm even more confused now.

The "EP" roll on the barrel (guess the 'R' didn't make it) means its was made at the Remington plant. No idea what the "T" after that means??

Other side of the barrel is stamped "BG"?? No idea what that means. The lack of an "MR" or any alphas in the serial number seems to mean the receiver was made by Marlin in 2009. Receiver/stock quality is just ok.

The only (slightly) mangled screw is on the forearm. The forearm cover is skewed a bit.

I paid $800 and hoped to get better. Although this is the only one I found after weeks of searching.

Any opinions? I could be picky and send back to Marlin or just relax & enjoy, hoping to get a "JM" someday.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Best,
Mark

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I think the (barely readable) "BG" stamp is Barrel Groove. That is my guess anyway as a noob. I'm surprised that the number isn't stamped after that? The box is marked "27BG".

The remaining mystery is the barrel "T" stamp right after the "EP".

Also - I'm finding many 1894 owners have a s/n: 91xxxxxx (no MN or other alphas) with REP barrels. Lack of craftmanship seems to start at the barrel with a mashed screw head and slightly off-center forearm collet.

Amazing that the assembler would mash a screw head like that.

Still haven't gotten to the range. Really hoping it feeds well! It's a beautiful looking gun.

Best,
Mark

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Hi Duster,
Have you shot it yet? 80+ degrees makes for a hot, unpleasant indoor range here in Florida.

Are you happy with the quality?

I wanted a .357, but the .44 was the only '94 to be had in the area.

Congrats and hope you enjoy it.

Best,
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.