Marlin Forums banner

List of Obama Executive Actions

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  oldbrass 
#1 ·
Published January 16, 2013

( provided by FoxNews.com )

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement
11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

See less See more
#2 ·
Having watched the President and Vice President today on his announcement on the much anticipated release of his "Gun Control" panel findings and his proposed solution I came away with this impression:

Number 1 thing was his admission that ANY Federal ban weather it be on actual weapons, magizines, ect would have to be a Bill passed by Congress. Also included in this was a mandatory background check for ALL sales, transfers of firearms. Looking at the members of Congress, their record as of the last 4 years leaves me LOL. I don't direct this at every single individual but to the body as a whole.

His list of Executive Actions actualy contains some good points. Although none are NEW inovative ways to curtail the violance, rather stating what ALREADY SHOULD BE HAPPINING given the current laws and regulations in existance.

Some are mearly pointing to MORE studies and suggestions to various agencies and industry to do more. One glaring example is "7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign." I assume he is referring to some GOVERMENT COMMISSION OR NEW AGENCY. I believe this is already addressed Pretty Darn Well by an Organization comprised of experts in the field known as the NRA.

All in all looks like the Chicken Littles of the Pro Gun and 2nd Admendment groups looked up and got BIRD CRAP in the eye......:rolleyes:

#3 ·
This boiled down to not much more than a photo op so he could say..."Looky here I did something about gun violence." I'm sure all the Democratic House members don't have a stomach for gun bans. Obama may not have to face re-election, but they do.

#4 ·
I'm sorry. Let me get this straight. A guy walks into a class room and shoot 20 children causing a nation to believe its time to re-examine gun laws. In 2012,in the U.S. alone 1.2 million unborn children were hacked apart and discarded like trash but thats OK? I think it's time for our nation to re-examine its morals.

#5 ·
1.Perhaps Chairman O and the DOJ could do a study of where all there assault weapons went during fast & furious
2. Conduct a study of number of armed felons cross over from Mexico per day
3. Do a study of time lapse between 911 call and arrival of first responders vs. time between shots fired and an armed teacher or custodian blowing some maniacs brains out in the Cafeteria.

#6 ·
1.Perhaps Chairman O and the DOJ could do a study of where all there assault weapons went during fast & furious
2. Conduct a study of number of armed felons cross over from Mexico per day
3. Do a study of time lapse between 911 call and arrival of first responders vs. time between shots fired and an armed teacher or custodian blowing some maniacs brains out in the Cafeteria.
No study of #3 is required as a real case scerino exists:

A person with not 1 but 2 restraining orders continues to harras and terrorize my daughter. Death threats are made and threats to burn her house down with her and the kids in it. Local authorities cannot catch him. About 4 weeks prior to this he had been arrested in a county next to ours for illigal possession of a firearm. He is held 24 hours and let go with a court date 3 weeks out. Of course he was a NO SHOW. A warrent, state wide, was issued for ARMED AND DANGEROUS. At 1800 on a friday evening he confronts her and her 11 year old son in a grocery store in town. The 11 year old reacts quickly, locks himself in the bathrom and calls 911 on the cell phone. The store is located approx. 1 mile from the town police station and the same from the county sheriffs office. It is 25 minutes until an officer responds. In that 25 minutes she kept him at length with her shopping cart and conversation. Unable to retreat as she was pinned in a back corner of the store. The responder was AN OFF DUTY offier who was working on his car at home and heard the calls on his scanner in the car.

With 2 Law Enforcement Agencys within 1 mile protection and help is a LIFETIME away. She now carries a .357 AND I GUARENTEE SHE KNOWS HOW TO USE IT. Self Defense is now seconds (less than 3) at hand. My grandson(s) also are becomming proficient in case they have to take it up in another situation as this one. We live 14 miles from those LEOs. THAT IS WHAT THE 2ND ADMENDMENT IS ABOUT !! I have consulted two criminal lawyers and the Sheriff and all said She was within her legal right in Missouri under this circumstance to have IMMIDEATLY SHOT HIM on his approach, at home, in town, in church, in front of the school, anywhere. He didnt have to show a weapon, or make a threat at that time. She had all reason to believe her life was in danger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.