Marlin Forums banner

Marlin 60 came out of long term storage

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hombre243 
#1 ·
Decided to drag out the Marlin Model 60 this morning. Havn't shot it for years. It has taken a lot of tree rats and bunnies. put about 40 rounds of Fed Auto Match thru to warm it up and see how the iron sights, and my eyes, were at 25 yds. Had to use all the elevation down as far as it would go and still was 1" low. Put up a 6" BIG orange sticker with a 1" black center. 10 rounds of the Auto Match and 1"+ group to the right a little. Then switched to CCI AR Tactical. Both are listed at 1200 fps at the muzzle. The CCI shot low also BUT .... a lot tighter group. Both are 40 gr but the CCI is copper washed. Never had a FTF or jam with either.

The Auto match only had 2 touching out of 10. I think all 10 of the CCI were touching. Hard to tell what it would do with a scope, never had one one it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Before someone calls me on this so I will fess up. On my way to get some maters from a friend (mine havnt turned yet) the LIGHT BULB CAME ON. Goes to show you what not messing with iron sights for quite some time will do to ya. I was moving the rear DOWN, that moves the POI down .....:eek:. Bottomed out is was just a little low at 25 yards. Easy fix for the rifle, but no fix for me ....... LOL

#4 ·
I have to say, 25 yards is the "OUTER LIMITS" for my eyes. Front sight blade is ok but the bull is a blur. Can't believe I used to shoot National Match rifles in the USMC out to 600 yards with Post and Aperture sights with just eyes. Now you would have to MAIL me a picture from out there. If new shooters could only look thru my eyes they would know what "Focus on the Front Sight" really means. Target and rear sight can be fuzzy but front sight blade HAS to be CLEAR and focused on. Same goes for the cross hairs, with or without a target dot on scopes.

#6 ·
Before someone calls me on this so I will fess up. On my way to get some maters from a friend (mine havnt turned yet) the LIGHT BULB CAME ON. Goes to show you what not messing with iron sights for quite some time will do to ya. I was moving the rear DOWN, that moves the POI down .....:eek:. Bottomed out is was just a little low at 25 yards. Easy fix for the rifle, but no fix for me ....... LOL
You beat me to it...glad you figured out the solution. No shame in forgetting that my friend. My friend came over one time to show me a junk scope. He said he couldn't get it to adjust.

I looked at the scope and then went into my gun room and got an Allen wrench. I turned the scope over 90 degrees. He couldn't remember whether the windage went on the right or left.

He reminded me he did not work on a lot of scopes as an Armorer in the Corp...I got him squared away. He said, "I guess you swabbies are good for something besides chauffeuring us around." I told him I hoped he enjoyed giving me the business as much as I enjoyed taking him for a ride.:D

#7 ·
hombre, it is an easy thing to forget! I think we have all probably moved a front sight or rear sight the wrong way over the years. I know I have! The only thing worse would be if you had corrected an Army Veteran (that would be me!). Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you for your service!

#8 ·
hombre, it is an easy thing to forget! I think we have all probably moved a front sight or rear sight the wrong way over the years. I know I have! The only thing worse would be if you had corrected an Army Veteran (that would be me!). Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you for your service!
AW heck, I corrected my Little Brother once and he reinlisted. And he was 82nd.:D

#9 · (Edited)
I know what you mean about the rear sight thing. I always got that...lucky I guess. I picture in my mind me sighting down the pipe, and ...what do I do with the front sight if the rear sight goes down? I bring down the front sight...What do I do if the rear sight goes up? bring the front sight up into alignment. It is a mental picture I have plastered inside my eyelids.

The scope is a different story. I was never sure whether the arrow on the adjustment turret was saying that the bullet will go this way or that...right or left or that the crosshair would just move in that direction. Of course after watching the cross hair move to the right or left...that didn't answer my question either. It just confused me more so....If the group s to the right you do not move the cross hairs left, you move them right.

I managed to amuse myself as well as confuse myself trying to figure all that out. Then someone told me about shooting a small group, and then anchoring the rifle down right on the exact aim point...and then twisting the adjustment so the cross hair centers on the group. What didn't make sense was...why move the cross hair right if I was shooting right?

The cross hair must be thought of as a front sight. Simple. Move the cross hair opposite the direction you want to move the bullet. Of course the easy way for me now is to remember that the little arrows on the dial indicate the corrected bullet direction, not the direction the cross hair will move. THAT took me a long time to figure out.

Some things come easy...some things not. Just like the 11 year old straightening out the 16 year old. Sometimes a concept is natural to one person and not others.

Here is something else that was hard for me to grasp, and it took my Jarhead buddy to get the kink out of my think. Trajectory. I was always picturing in my head what trajectory is. It is an arc.

The concept that was hard for me to grasp was that that arc that the bullet flew in towards the target is only possible if the barrel is tilted up a proper amount to create the arc(h). My brain was seeing a bullet leaving the muzzle in a tall arching trajectory when the barrel was parallel to the ground...which it does not do.

As my friend pointed out, if you drop a bullet of the same weight, (from your hand), from the same height as the bore, at the same time you fired the gun parallel to the ground, both bullets would hit the ground at the same time, though several hundred or thousand feet apart.

After I realized that he was correct, a lot of sighting in problems began to correct themselves because now I have a better mental picture of a bullet in flight.

And I learned, or relearned this after being a shooter for over 40 years. It seems that when one has done something so many times that it becomes natural, the think part hides itself and we have to un-bury it somehow so we (I) can make sense of a concept that was once so simple.

Well, I am glad I got that out of my system. I think I will print this out so I don't forget it again.:(

#10 ·
Now lets get more confused. What way do we move our sight pins on a bow? I think if its shooting to the right. move it to the right.

#11 · (Edited)
Now lets get more confused. What way do we move our sight pins on a bow? I think if its shooting to the right. move it to the right.
Can't remember that one but what you said seems reasonable...but...you tube can tell. I will look.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShMTbrOAmo[/ame]

"Follow the Arrow". If it shoots left and down, move the pin to the left and down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.