Marlin Forums banner

Marlin X7 possible

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JesterGrin_1 
#1 ·
Howdy All,

I'm either going to get an AK soon due to concerns about a new ban on those rifles post November or a bolt .308. I decided against the Rem. 770, Savage Axis or whatever it's called, and Mossberg ATR. It looks like it's between the Marlin X7 and the Stevens 200. Does the Marlin have something over the Stevens?

Best,
Semi

#2 ·
the Remington in a M770 is junk from the get go, sloppy and binding bolt, press fit barrel into the reciever, flimsy stock and heavy and gritty trigger. the Savage Axis is much better choice than the M770. decent rifle, decent accuracy and a decent price. the Mossberg is a decent rifle and IMO, better choice than the Savage for a hunting rifle, very good accuracy but the stock is not anywhere as good as the Marlin X7 series. the Marlin is a better rifle than the Stevens, because of the adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock and much more accurate, and priced better. the Marlin X7 series is much closer in comparison to the Remington M700, the Winchester M70 or even the Weatherby Vanguard rifles in finish and accuracy.

just so that a person doesn't think that i am just a Marlin fan and doesn't think objectively. i have owned all the others and still own several others than Marlins, so this assessment and opinion comes from experiance. i own three Marlin X7 series, an XS7 in 7mm-08, an XL7 in 25-06 and an XS7VH in 308. i can attest to their accuracy compared to the others and is every bit the equal in that department. fit and finish are very good and the price is the only thing budget about them. i also have another XS7VH in 223 ordered and am waiting for it to arrive. do yourself a favor and check them out.

#3 ·
Howdy All,

I'm either going to get an AK soon due to concerns about a new ban on those rifles post November or a bolt .308. I decided against the Rem. 770, Savage Axis or whatever it's called, and Mossberg ATR. It looks like it's between the Marlin X7 and the Stevens 200. Does the Marlin have something over the Stevens?

Best,
Semi
I'll second Axxe55s comments on the X7 rifles. I also own a 700, x7, and Axis in bolt .308. The Axis and X7 hang with the Rem 700 in accuracy at about 35% of cost. When looking for a .223 for a bench gun went with the X7VH also like Axe. I have mine and love it. Of course I aint never given up my 700 heavy barrell but IF I HAD TO would replace it with an X7.

In MY OPINION ONLY.....also have a .243 in a 770. Its a youth model my grandson started out with (replaced by the 7Xy in .308) and its fine. For a hunting rifle does the job. Now goes to my grandaughter (8).

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum and YES...Get an XS-7

Howdy All,

Best,
Semi
It doesn't seem to matter the caliber, any and all that own or have shot the Marlin 'X' line of rifles will report that $ 4 $, you won' t find a better quality rifle for less than double the price of the Marlin. I wonder if the bedding & free-floated barrel has anything to do with it? :rolleyes:

An XS in 7mm-08 and an XL in 30-06 reside here with Rems, Brownings, etc. The little .284 caliber will keep them in one hole...all day long with a load I developed for it. In fact...it doesn't seem to be real fussy with several other rounds it's been fed.

A good AK will set you back over a grand for a billet receiver and around $650 for a stamped one. It boils down to whether you want an all-around rilfe for hunting/target use or a SHTF defensive unit.

The only "caution" I can offer is to forget the package deal with the economy scope and mount an optic of higher quality. When you do, make sure you remove the rail (if attached) and do a thorough job of degreasing the threads of the holes in the receiver and screws, then add a tiny bit of Lok-Tite when you reassemble to mount the scope. That's been the primary concern/problem I've heard reported with the X's accuracy = oil/grease on the mount screws. Scope movement makes any shooter/weapon look pitiful. The XS has the factory rail while the '06 has a set of Talley ring mounts secured directly to the rifle. You'll need medium rings for most scope applications, although I've got high rings that provide minimal clearance on the 6-20 X 50 scope on the XL.

There should be others to 'chime in' to offer their experiences/thoughts/comments. And should you go from "semipacifist" to a regular range or woods & field type...you may stick with the light-weight factory stock or choose to dress your XS by trading a Franklin for a Boyd's wood laminate stock or $120 for a beautiful piece of solid walnut. Momma's 7mm sports the factory stock (not too much longer?) & my XL rests in a Boyd's Featherweight Thumb Hole in pepper laminate. Hole spacing for mounts is same as Winchester Mdl 70.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-Rifles-s/124.htm

Buy now...'cause the prices aren't coming down and your new rifle (properly cared for) will only appreciate in value!

#5 ·
Thanks, various

the Marlin is a better rifle than the Stevens, because of the adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock and much more accurate, and priced better. the Marlin X7 series is much closer in comparison to the Remington M700, the Winchester M70 or even the Weatherby Vanguard rifles in finish and accuracy.
I know both of the above have the button barrel I didn't know the Marlin has a better stock or more accurate.

I'll second Axxe55s comments on the X7 rifles. I also own a 700, x7, and Axis in bolt .308. The Axis and X7 hang with the Rem 700 in accuracy at about 35% of cost. When looking for a .223 for a bench gun went with the X7VH also like Axe. I have mine and love it. Of course I aint never given up my 700 heavy barrell but IF I HAD TO would replace it with an X7.
I wonder if a bull barrel can be put on the Marlin down the road. I also wonder how many more shots can be fired from the bull barrel compared to the other barrels here before the point of impact moves an inch or two.

It doesn't seem to matter the caliber, any and all that own or have shot the Marlin 'X' line of rifles will report that $ 4 $, you won' t find a better quality rifle for less than double the price of the Marlin. I wonder if the bedding & free-floated barrel has anything to do with it? :rolleyes:

The XS has the factory rail while the '06 has a set of Talley ring mounts secured directly to the rifle. You'll need medium rings for most scope applications, although I've got high rings that provide minimal clearance on the 6-20 X 50 scope on the XL.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-Rifles-s/124.htm

Buy now...'cause the prices aren't coming down and your new rifle (properly cared for) will only appreciate in value!
Sounds like a lot for the money in the Marlin. I wonder how much prices will go up all makes/models in general.

Thanks very much for the advise. Happy shooting!

-Semi

#6 ·
I wonder if a bull barrel can be put on the Marlin down the road. I also wonder how many more shots can be fired from the bull barrel compared to the other barrels here before the point of impact moves an inch or two.

-Semi
The Marlin VH models come with a Bull Barrel. Number of shots before the groups start opening up depends on a few factors. Usually around 2-3000. The Marlin VH also comes with A stainless Bull Barrel which willl extend the life another 1500 or more rounds.

I read where the Savage barrel matches up with the Marlin action for replacement which leaves you with a wide selection of makers for replacement in the future.

#8 ·
Actually, I was wondering how many shots fired in a string within 1 shooting session due to the barrel heating.
OOps, misunderstood your question......:eek:

I have fired as many as 50 at a sitting, both bull and regular taper barrels. Now I dont shoot more than 5 shot groups and usually just 3. then I walk to the target, 75 or 100 yds. change paper, walk back and settle back in. So I guess the barrel has a chance to cool down some. I have not had that problem. I would say to some extent it would depend on the gun also.

#9 · (Edited)
I would go with the Stevens 200 (Savage) if you can find one at a decent price. Academy had them on sale earlier this year for $179.00. I should have purchased 3 instead of 1 lol. But it was the last short action they had.

I would pick the Stevens 200 (Savage) Over a Marlin without a second thought.
For the Stevens 200 (Savage) you can get parts for them easy and at a Fair price if you wish to change something minor to a complete rebuild into something else.

For an Entry Level Rifle the Marlin XL/XS is not bad at all. But you can not get parts for them. Just try and get a Bolt head of which removes just like a Savage. They will not sell you one............

And by the way Yes I have a Marlin XL-7 Made into a 35 Whelen of which will soon be converted to a 35 Whelen AI with a Muzzle Brake installed.

And a Stevens 200 (Savage) Made into a .358 Winchester of which thus far has been very accurate with Cast Bullets. These are trials with groups of 5 rounds each at 50 yards. I did try the same load at 100 yards and all 5 rounds would touch. Sorry I do not have a target of that since I was in a hurry and was not able to get my Target. It was just a check before heading out for the first day of Deer Season. But Alas I did not bag one YET lol.

#10 ·
Is that red,blonde, orange looking stocked rifle a DD overhaul? Just wondering by looking at the bolt handle.

Surprising or not about the parts for a Marlin? Never needed anything other than the metal trigger guard that is copped from a .22 model to replace he plastic one on the Xs. Thanks for the heads up on parts scarcity. I'll never have a hankering for modifying one although the .284AI would be one I'd consider if $$$ fell out of the sky.

I'd almost be ashamed of that center group. A shame you couldn't fit 'em all in one hole;) Mighty good load...might be able to shoot 'em in the eye!

#11 · (Edited)
Yep it was done by DD on Both the Pepper 35 Whelen and the 358 Winchester . And the Stock is a BOYD'S called Fall Harvest limited run. Orange,Brown,Yellow. He added pillars and was bedded with Bed Rock. The Action is a Stevens 200 (Savage) that was trued and lapped and the trigger worked over to a 1LB 2 Oz with a Shaw Straight Taper heavy mag contour barrel that was cut from 24" to 20". Then Coated with Duracoat.

The Bolt Handle is all my Fault lol. I built it. :)

I was going to build the 358 Winchester with a Marlin XS-7 action but due to QC issues with the short action Marlins not to mention there lack of parts if need be I scrapped that idea and purchased the Stevens 200 of which at the time were on sale for $175.95.

If I find another good deal on a Savage Action I may have DD build another .358 Winchester just in a light version. Well pretty much the same as the one pictured but the barrel will probably be a Shaw with Helical cut grooves and as light as possible for the caliber.

And yes Small Shank Savage Barrels will screw straight onto a Marlin. But a bit of metal may have to be removed from the chamber end to enable one to Head Space it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.