Marlin Forums banner

Mid Barrel Tuner for BR .22

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  SWO1 
#1 ·
I tried a Scott mid barrel tuner last year, didnt do nothing. A fellow shooter let me try his before I bought one. They are $90. Lot of shooters use 2 on their barrel.

Yesterday at the Local MFA (Farm and Home store) I picked up a compression tube clamp. Bigger than the Scott tuner every one uses but as far as I can tell does the same thing. It has two pressure points. I stuck it on and YES there was an improvement in consistent POI in my shots. Today I will pick up another one (bigger diam. as I have a tapered barrel) the one I have will only fit the front portion of the barrel. At $13 for the small one, and $17 for the larger one, If the second one dosnt make an improvement I will have a tube clamp at least .....

#5 ·
Like the front tuner it is a harmonic balancer. The front tuner is really just a weight that has 500 settings. The mid barrel tuner (from what I understand) gets the bullet to exit the barrel on a harmonic node. Most barrels are 25-26" long and most tune to the 9th node. My barrel is 27" and is probably somewhere close to the 11th node. There are some that have highly technical diagrams and jargon I really dont understand. Mostly I just fiddle around with them and find a spot (or setting) that causes the gun to shoot good. All guns when shot causes the barrel to vibrate, even a .22 rim fire.

#6 ·
That's very interesting! I knew that a barrel vibrates when you shot it, but I had always assumed that by the time this had occurred, the bullet had left the barrel.

#7 ·
All match grade .22 is well below the sound barrier. It ranges between 1040 and 1080 depending on the barrel and round. Eley, Lapua, and RWS marks their ammo (by lot#) with the tested velocity out of their test barrels. They are 26" and I assume a RH 1/16 twist. As I said my barrel is 27" with a RH 1/17 twist. A longer barrel will result in a higher velocity with the same ammo. However the 1/17 vice a 1/16 twist and it just about evens out I suppose. No good shooter I know of checks velocity from their rifle with a chrono. They lot test and find one that shoots good, how fast or slow they dont care. Besides the conditions on a given day, Temp, Atmosphire pressure, humidity, altitude come into play. Most that can afford it have multiple lots and shoot the one that is best that day/conditions.

The lot of RWS R-50 I am shooting lists it at 182' per second. My barrel probably is shooing it around 1080.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.