Model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Good for you. My dad bought me a 60 for my first gun, and I screwed up and traded it off. I think I got a Llama 1911 for it which was a great trade, but I wish I hadn't done it.:(

2. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

Yep it was rusted really bad I had to strip it all the way down to the metal, and completely re-do it. You need to look around, and find you a good little model 60 somewhere.

3. Jnclem

Jnclem Member

Hi everyone, first post here. I install the McArbo kit, and a DIP drop in trigger on all my 60's. It is a great combination that is easy to install. It completely changes the trigger pull and feel.

4. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Finally finished my Marlin Glenfield Model 60 ... I've had it in pieces for the past few weeks waiting on time to refinish it. Here's the finished product, let me know what you think - Stripped, sanded and finished with Tung Oil.

[​IMG]

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

very nice! it came out looking good. it has some really light colored wood though, and i haven't seen another M60 with that light a shade of wood. now go out and enjoy it!:D

6. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Thank you!

It's birch. I didn't just strip off the lacquer, I removed the stain too. The color in the pressed checkering (the squirrel stamps) is the original color. I prefer my ladies to be blonde ;)

7. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

The gun looks really sleek. I think the blonde colored wood looks really good on the gun. The grain sticks out really nice on it too which I like.

8. duster066

I couldn't resist a sweet used mod 700 (70) I saw a few years ago so I bought it. It shoots almost as good as that old 60 did, but the short barrel makes it a wee bit unreliable at 100 yards. I'll snag the first 60 I can get a killer deal on.

I've had a desire to refinish the stock on the 700. I have this vision of a very dark, near black, stain with a very very lightly red tinted clear coat. The only thing that has held me back is the dark stain. Can anyone help with a product or combination of products that will achieve that? I want the grain to show through, but just barely, almost opaque black.

9. storm

storm Well-Known Member

I'd go with a 50/50 mix of ebony and mahogany stain, but apply it little by little in very thin coats. You don't want to go too dark.

10. enduroguy

enduroguy Member

Just re-joined the Marlin 60 owners family after a 15 year Hiatus.

Lost the first one I owned since new in divorce and finally today bought a used one. This one has the 22" barrel but the 14 shot capacity mag. I'd like very much to change the magazine to the 18 shot capacity. It feels nice to have a Marlin Model 60 back in my possession :)

11. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Well-Known Member

Axxe, you could adopt me............................hehehe

Nope, that won't work, I'm 66................May-be I could adopt you and you could give me Father's Day gifts................LOL

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

depends on whether you're housebroke! all my "children" are!:eek::D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  13. duster066

Thanks storm, I'll try that. Any type of solvent base comparability issues with a clear coat?

14. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

pretty good! but my father is alive and well at almost 70! :D

but we can always be friends though and if you are ever in my area, i would welcome meeting and spending some time shooting!

15. storm

storm Well-Known Member

... ... ... Huh? :confused:

I've used either Tru-Oil, Tung Oil, or Minwax Spar-Urethane and have never had problems with any of those finishes - Personally I prefer Tung Oil, but SOME stains don't like it and will leech out if you don't give them time to set in the wood before finishing. As long as you wait around 24 hours or so between final stain and first coat of oil, you should be good.

16. enbarnes

enbarnes New Member

He'll install it for an additional $30 and that is what I did -- I have too many thumbs.
    My rifle is a 795 though.
    VERY satisfied.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thank you Enbarnes for the information. much appreciated. after shooting a ruger 10/22 with it's heavy and long trigger pull, my M60 seems much better now!

the M795 has the same type of action as the M60, just with a box magazine instead of the tube. equally a fine rifle.

BTW, welcome to the Marlin Forum and glad you joined.

18. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

I just picked up a squirrel last night for $80. (Only had to drive 5 minutes to get it too.) This will be a gift for my daughter's 14th birthday in December. It's a '72 model and has a few nicks and such in the stock, as you'd expect from a 40-year old anything -- I turn 40 next year, and have my share of nicks. :)

So I'm looking for tips on stripping and refinishing. I want to make it as pretty as when it was new for her. I haven't decided what color(s) to make it yet.

Storm, yours came out great. What did you use to strip it? And did you remove the stain by sanding, or is there some chemical for that? Any advice or suggestions are extremely welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]

19. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Check out this video. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIDm_2lN1c[/ame].
    If you don't want to do alot of sanding... it could wash out the squirrel... There is a series of three videos and it is good info.

20. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Stripping my Marlin squirrel stock wasn't easy. I tried a few different things.

First I tried "Goof Off" in a yellow and red spray can - It stripped a Mosin/Nagant, I figured it would eat through this stuff no problem - It didn't work. Didn't even soften the finish.
    Then I switched to carb cleaner - I've used it in the past and it's worked on some finishes - no dice.
    Tried brake cleaner - stronger and more volatile than carb cleaner - also didn't work.

I ended up sanding through to the bare wood in most places, while doing my best to leave the press checkering intact (mostly because I didn't want to take off that much wood, and because I like how it looked with the imprints still stained). Usually I'm able to chemically remove the finish, and only have to sand a tiny bit to get the stain off - this one took significantly more work than that.