Model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

Model 60 Range Report

I finally got the model 60 out to the range on Saturday. I'm happy to report that it shot beautifully time after time. I didn't keep a close count, but I'd guess I sent about 150 rounds down range. Out of all of those I only had 2 FTE's, where the spent case didn't quite clear in time.

I was using Winchester Xpert HV's as well as the CCI Standard Velocity, the latter of which causes my 99 M1 to absolutely choke. The 2 FTE's were both on the Winchester, but other than those it was great.

I couldn't be happier with it, and can now hopefully get started on redoing the stock before long.

2. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that someone got out on the range. Good to hear you had very little trouble. Now get working on that stock.

3. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

I just went out yesterday and all those upgrades are just keen. Freggin tack driver... used cci minimags mostly but had a box of federal too. But the real disapointment was the tracers I wasted my good coin on wouldn't even. Cycle and my Stevens model 89 don't like them at all won't even fitin the chamber.. but all my homemade rounds worked better than I could have expected

4. Ickaber

Ickaber Well-Known Member

I did the Mcarbo trigger kit as well, at the same time that I did the feedthroat upgrade. I couldn't agree with you more, it's a very sweet shooter at this point.

I did the water jug trigger pull test on it and my 99 M1. My methodology was to run the test 5 times, drop the high and the low, and average the other 3. The results were 4.451 lbs on the 60 with the Mcarbo kit, and 4.421 lbs on the 99 M1. Unfortunately, I didn't run the test on the 60 prior to putting the new springs in.

Mike from Mcarbo told me, before I told him my trigger pull results, that he suspected the 99 would have a lighter pull off the bat than the 60. I don't know if the 99 is stock or if someone else might have modified it previously, but it's a nice shooter as well.

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Standard Velo won't always cycle semi-auto rifles...works great in High Standard pistols ;)

High Velocity is what you are looking for in ammo that will cycle a carbine/rifle with no issues :)

Note the FPS ##'s on the boxes...

6. duke

duke Member

Does anyone know how to break the bolt down to clean, replace extractors?

7. dayid

dayid Member

The extractors and firing pin are just held in with other pins (and small springs for the extractors!). If you wanted to replace any of them, you'd just press them out with a small punch, clean, and press back in. I'd highly suggest a clear baggie or soft-box to disassemble the extractors though (in case the springs SPRING!). I can't imagine needing these parts off to clean them though - replace though - sure.

8. duke

duke Member

Thanks so much for the help