Marlin Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
Now thats a nice shootin iron, you do good work Swampman, I wish I could come across a deal like that..what kind of adhesive did you use for the repair, or is it a new stock?? Again very nice,I`d be real proud of that rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The inital reair was with clear epoxy. I went back and worked on the hair line gaps with fine walnut sawdust and Super Glue. I used the thin runny kind. You work the powdery sawdust into the gap and soak it with Super Glue. After filling and sanding several times, I repaired the finish with Min-Wax Satin Tung Oil Finish and OOOO Steel Wool. You can hardly see the repair. I paid $300.00 for it. I love these early 1895s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I've only seen photos of the early 1895's. I'm partial to straight stocks anyway and prefer dovetailed front sights rather than ramps. Can't remember the Duke using a rifle with a ramped front sight. But then again, he was partial to Winchesters.

The only thing I'd prefer different on yours is a full length mag tube. Just not fond of the sport rifle look of the abbreviated tubes.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
That's a great looking rifle and a heck of a deal!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top