Marlin Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Now thats a nice shootin iron, you do good work Swampman, I wish I could come across a deal like that..what kind of adhesive did you use for the repair, or is it a new stock?? Again very nice,I`d be real proud of that rifle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The inital reair was with clear epoxy. I went back and worked on the hair line gaps with fine walnut sawdust and Super Glue. I used the thin runny kind. You work the powdery sawdust into the gap and soak it with Super Glue. After filling and sanding several times, I repaired the finish with Min-Wax Satin Tung Oil Finish and OOOO Steel Wool. You can hardly see the repair. I paid $300.00 for it. I love these early 1895s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've only seen photos of the early 1895's. I'm partial to straight stocks anyway and prefer dovetailed front sights rather than ramps. Can't remember the Duke using a rifle with a ramped front sight. But then again, he was partial to Winchesters.

The only thing I'd prefer different on yours is a full length mag tube. Just not fond of the sport rifle look of the abbreviated tubes.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Very nice indeed. Really like that straight stock.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's a great looking rifle and a heck of a deal!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Nice rifle Swampman, congratulations! Does she kick hard with that straight stock? I'm thinking 45/70 for my next rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts