Marlin Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry these pics aren't better but I just seem to have lost that masters touch.

Attachments

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Nice! Are you going to refinish it or leave it as-is?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mosins are cool as is

Nice! Are you going to refinish it or leave it as-is?
I doubt if I do anything more than shoot it and clean it. BUT, when I get tired of all the takedown rigamarole, I will probably emery off the barrel and reblue it, and put on a synthetic stock like one I saw on you tube. Made it look almost respectable.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition.
Depending on your ability, (and ducking the assaults of the purest) the options are almost limitless.

My son has preserved a couple original Mosins including a sniper model. On the other hand, he has modified 4 that were less collectable.
Lord willing, he'll make one for me (soon). Here are a couple pictures. Keep in mind, he is more talented than myself so don't ask me for any details.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mosin

Congrats on the new acquisition.
Depending on your ability, (and ducking the assaults of the purest) the options are almost limitless.

My son has preserved a couple original Mosins including a sniper model. On the other hand, he has modified 4 that were less collectable.
Lord willing, he'll make one for me (soon). Here are a couple pictures. Keep in mind, he is more talented than myself so don't ask me for any details.
Looks like he has a talent for gun work. I am not that creative and really don't want to make my 80+ year old gun look like something new. I like the way this crusty old beast looks. Maybe next one I get I will modernize a it. Thanks for the pics. I am hoping to keep at least a few shots on the paper. Now that you mention it, I need to pick up some 30" freezer paper.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I need to pick up some 30" freezer paper.
Leftover rolls of wrapping paper that is white on the back side works just as well. You might have some laying around already.

As for the rifle, it's a de-horned 91/30 with a homemade muzzle break and a slightly modified M44 stock (note the adjustable cheek rest). This one has a modified SKS scope base but mine will have the Scout Mount Base that replaces the original rear sight. I'll mount a holographic reflex on it. I don't need another rifle but the fact that it is his handy work adds an element of desire for me.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bah Humburger

Leftover rolls of wrapping paper that is white on the back side works just as well. You might have some laying around already.

As for the rifle, it's a de-horned 90/31 with a flash hider and a slightly modified M44 stock (note the adjustable cheek rest). This one has a modified SKS scope base but mine will have the Scout Mount Base that replaces the original rear sight. I'll mount a holographic reflex on it. I don't need another rifle but the fact that it is his handy work adds an element of desire for me.
I don't use Christmas wrap. Come to think of it, I don't have anyone to buy for, which basically means, I have to use freezer paper or buy targets. I like the dirty birds. But, initially I need to see if the first few shots stay in the same county, hopefully within about 12" of the center of the white paper with a Big black dot Sharpied on it.

I am kind of anxious. Maybe tomo...nope, sleep apnea test in Iowa City tomorrow night. Maybe I can squeeze in an hour and then come home and give it a quick bath to get the fulminate of mercury crapola out of the bore. I'm starting to ramble. G'Nite all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
very cool. Im tossing around getting one myself. I need to learn a little more about them though so I can pick a good one, not a worn out piece of scrap.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good or bad I paid me money and made me choice

very cool. Im tossing around getting one myself. I need to learn a little more about them though so I can pick a good one, not a worn out piece of scrap.
I have been arguing with GE Capital about why they do not do business with Bud's, but they do business with other gun sellers. Originally I thought it was GE that dumped gun sellers. I contacted Bud's and no answer. So, because I couldn't use my GE card at Buds, I paid a lot more for the gun and ammo at Gander Mountain.

But, Gander scrubbed everything pretty good...except the bore, which I wore out one arm and overexercised the other scrubbubg the bore. I am not satisfied I got all the cosmo out of it so I go back and give the bore a swab every couple days. Hope I am making some progress there.

What I looked for was a tight bolt, deep rifling and a stock that had no damage other than to the finish.

The gun was made in 1938 and is as good , I believe, as a gun can get for being 75 years old. The bluing was a bit marred but I found no rust that amounted to anything. The Cleaning rod had a bit of a buildup but that is easily removed. I got the little kit with it but no bag for the accessories.

2 items you will need...a can opener for the ammo can, and a firing pin gauge which comes on the teardrop shaped tool. I haven't figured out what some of the other items are, but, I found manuals on Amazon.com.

If you have the cash, go to bud's. I do think he has the best deals. You probably will have to get ammo elsewhere.

I hope you get one...I have fired them at the range and they may not be pretty and I may not be able to shoot open sights very well, but for the joy of cheaper shooting, I like this gun already.

When I find all the reload stuff I need I will like it better.:D

I been wearin my arm out scrubbing the bore. It is dirtier than I thought. I soaked the bore for an hour and what poured out the muzzle looked like hot tar. Looks like I may need another can of foaming cleanser...and I don't mean Ajax. Last round seemed to do some good, so maybe in this case more is better.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lefty Mosin Nagant

Thats a mighty fine fine rifle the M/N If they only came in lefty
There is a lefty version but it is rather complicated to use. You have to stand on the other end of the rifle and work in reverse. :eek:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I have ammo, accessories and all the stuff I need to go to the range to try the Mosin. But I doubt my little Aveo would get me to the range. If it got me down into the little holler t is in, I know it wouldnt get me back up the hill in all the snow and I also know the county does not plow there. Spring fever is upon me already.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Springk is komingk Komrade!

Congrats on the Mosin. Don't have one yet but have been looking for a good Finn or a Westinghouse.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sprink iss Komingk

Springk is komingk Komrade!

Congrats on the Mosin. Don't have one yet but have been looking for a good Finn or a Westinghouse.
I am thinking of getting at least one more, but like you, I am going to be a bit more picky next time. Might as well get one that is in as good a shape as I/we can find, right? Why buy an ugly ducklink that is going to stay an ugly ducklink, right?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Life is to short to live with only the ugly ducklings. I've looked at quite a few really nice Russian arsenal refurbs in the $120-180 range but a buddy of mine had a Westinghouse that had a factory fit and finish that would put most civvie hunting rifles to shame.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mosins

Life is to short to live with only the ugly ducklings. I've looked at quite a few really nice Russian arsenal refurbs in the $120-180 range but a buddy of mine had a Westinghouse that had a factory fit and finish that would put most civvie hunting rifles to shame.
I wouldnt know where to look for the nice ones. Cant check them out when purchasing them online, and no one around here has much to choose from. But if I happen onto a nice lookin one sometime when I accidentally have some cash on hand I will probably pick up another one. I like having something that has some nostalgic or historical significance.

I always liked shooting muzzleloaders for that reason, but they were replicas. Mosins are the real McCoyavich.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you look for the pre war mosins the quality goes up significantly in looks actions still rough but very accurate i shot mine 300yards iron sights hit three of four in a five inch circle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts