My NEXT gun !!

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by SWO1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

On my weekly visit to my gun shop they had one. It was in .243. Felt GREAT. Beautiful Wood..Real Nice fit and finish. Trigger says 4 lbs. but felt a lot lighter. Weight is 7 lbs without scope. Comes with hammer spur, scope rail (drilled to accept Marlin 336 pattern). And the BEST part comes adaptable to 21 different barrel/caliber choices. And unlike the H&R dont have to send in the action to have the barrel fitted, just swap out. The one I am going to start with........................35 WHELEN.
    Cost is $273.....extra barrels.....$145

Why the Whelen...Harder hitting than 45/70.....Factory Ammo is expensive but easy to make brass and reload. Its a 30-06 case necked up to .35. Sierra has 200 and 225 gr bullets and data.

I've always wanted one in a Rem 760 or 7600. They quit making them around 90 I think. Not a lot of people have them.....I just like to be different.
    Pics below.....Wood and Camo/Plastic

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Looks like the stock will provide a good check weld...

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

You didn't say, but I assume that is a Rossi.
    I considered one of those in a 7-08 but it's pretty hard to justify when they aren't legal for deer in my state. Great idea. Kinda like the T/C Pro Hunter but a whole lot less money.

4. SWO1

LOL....Guess I did leave the Brand out...:eek: Yes its a Rossi. Was it you Grey that mentioned in another post about your state allowing Pistol Cartrages either next year or so ? the Barrel choices come in .357 and .44 along with 20 and 12 ga. slug. Also in .45 and .50 Black Powder. If that aint justicifation ........:confused:

5. SWO1

They also have a model with the adjustable cheek riser. Also sell the butt stock with one. The One on the stock .243 at the shop FIT PERFECT.......:D
    Beautiful Walnut.

6. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

metoometoometoo

Been thinkin about the exact same gun

7. SWO1

I think they make a lot of sence. Ive had the H&Rs, Good little rifles. But having to ship in the reciever to have a barrel fitted didnt sit to well. Now the price on em has went up a lot more also.

I called Rossi today asking about twist rates in different barrels. They told me they would be adding more barrels soon. Right now you can go from .17 to .454 at about $150 a pop. Working with the 30-06 case and 3 barrels you can have a .270, 30-06, and 35 Whelen with 3 sets of dies. You are covered for ANY North American Game, From WoodChucks to Grizzly.....:cool:

8. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

The 35 Whelen is one Great Round with no Flies on it. But with that light rifle I would stick with 200-225 Gr Bullets.

I do not know what you are going to hunt or at what range or the class of bullets that you would wish to use. Nosler just came out with a nice 200 Gr Accubond. Funny how people might tell you the 35's are Dead but if someone like Nosler brings out a new bullet there has to be a good reason. :)

The Hornady 200GR FTX of which is designed for the 35 Remington would also be a good choice on the cheaper side with a good BC. And can be pushed fast. Just do not shoot game too close lol.

But you would really be doing great if they had one in .358 Winchester. It is not far behind the 35 Whelen. 100 FPS or less depending on bullet choice. And it will use less powder and a shorter barrel to get the job done.

9. SWO1

Right now no .358. But the rep when I called about the twist rates said they are working some more up now. Also not on the web site they have the Youth Models out in that line.

Dont have anything right now to shoot with it. Ill stick with the 200 and 225 gr from Sierra to start as they have them in their seconds discount store. The #2 .308s and .224s work great so I figure the .35s will also.

10. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

RL-15 is a good powder for the 35 Whelen and Jacketed Bullets.

On this very forum I posted a picture of a Little 200LB or so HOG I got with my 35 Whelen and the Speer 250Gr Hot-Core at I think about 130 yards with O Tracking needed. Or to say it just got Blew Over lol.

But after doing so I feel the Speer 250Gr is a bit MUCH just like if someone says South TEXAS is a tad HOT lol. And Alaska is just a smidgen cool in the winter lol. But it does a fine job and does it well.

But as said I feel for Hog and Deer the 200-225Gr should be just Dandy. :)

11. SWO1

On the Sierra tables even the 200gr delivers over 3,000 ftlbs at 100 yds. Balistics beat the .35 REM by 60% out to 200 yds. I figure if you're gonna chunk boat anchors be able to sink BIG BOATS......:D

Elk and Bear are gettin mighty close..so maybe before I quit I'll get the chance. Besides my son has property in Arkansas with Bear, Elk and Hogs. Just a little over 3 hours down the road. A trip next year maybe in the cards...:eek: I may never get the chance but if I do I want to have the gun and not have to borrow one. Besides I can always re-barrel and use it for something else in the meantime.