Marlin Forums banner

Name Your All Time Favorite Westerns.

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 ·
seeing some of the firearms and calibers some of you own, makes me think about western movies. name some of your favorite ones. seems as they just don't do as many as they use to years ago, but westerns have been and always will be some of my favorites. name some of your favorite western movies or tv series. here are some of mine.

1. just about any western with John Wayne. my wife and i, both are big John Wayne fans.
2. the Lonesome Dove movies.
3. The Magnificent Seven
4. Jeremiah Johnson
5. Open Range

tv series.

1. Gunsmoke, i remember watching this one with my grandfather when i was younger. he didn't watch hardly any tv, but he never missed Gunsmoke!
2. Big Valley
3. Bonanza
4. The Rifleman
5. Wanted, Dead or Alive

#2 · (Edited)
Some of my favorites are...

Movie Westerns

The Wild Bunch
Unforgiven
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
My Darling Clementine
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3:10 to Yuma
Appaloosa
Winchester '73
Wyatt Earp
Tombstone
The Shootist
Tue Grit
The Magnificent Seven

TV Westerns

Wanted...Dead or Alive
Bat Masterson
Wyatt Earp
The Rifleman
Gunsmoke

#11 ·
all of you are listing some great westerns! many that others have listed are some i have enjoyed very much also.

some others that i really like, The Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Nevada Smith, with Steve McQueen, and Shane, with Alan Ladd.

i like a lot of the older westerns too.

#15 ·
I seem to like some of the darker stuff. A few of my favorites would be the newer Tombstone, the original 3:10 to Yuma, High Plains Drifter, and open Range.

There are almost too many to name.
I liked Tombstone as well.
i liked Tombstone too, very good movie. i saw that one at the theater when it came out, and seeing it on the big screen is the best for that one.

#17 ·
Some local theaters run older movies around me. I'll see if they won't have a release or if I can't send a request or something.
Tombstone w/ Kurt Russell is fantastic at the theater. it is one of those movies better seen at the theater. i have it on dvd, but it just isn't the same. maybe i can use this as a good excuse to buy that 81" flat screen tv! think my wife will go for my reasons?

on a side note, i really miss drive-ins. i had so much fun when we were kids and my father took us to them. there just are not very many left anymore. i remember in high school after i got my drivers license, we would go to the drive-in and take my old Ford truck and park so the bed faced the screen and set lawn chairs in the back and watch the movie. the drive-in had the sound where it could play through your radio on AM. so cool!

#19 ·
The Cowboys with John Wayne is a good one.
yes it is! i am a big John Wayne fan and like most any movie he has been in. the westerns are my favorites. his last one, The Shootist will be my all time favorite John Wayne movie. to me, the movie was a fitting end to all the movies he made, the character was befitting the Duke and showed him at his best. the Duke was a hero and a role model, too bad there aren't more like him. my wife is even a big John Wayne fan also. she won't pass up a John Wayne dvd up at Wal-Mart if we don't have it!

#23 ·
I like anything Clint, but "The Unforgiven" was also a very good movie. " The Hackman characters opinion of what makes a good shooter mirrors what I was taught and hope I can do if I ever have to. The Quick and the Dead" is a favorite.

I've been watching the western channel a lot recently doing research for my leather rigs. I came across "The Law and Jake Wade" 1958, and OMG the Richard Widmark character reminds me so much of myself when I was younger (except he's a bad guy in the movie) it had me riveted. He even looks like me and wore the same type of western style dress I like and have worn forever. I was so cock sure about EVERYTHING and a real pain in the arse much of the time. But like the character in the movie I really am pretty good.:p

#24 ·
You're wife liked it? She sounds great.

I had to drag mine to the couch to watch it with me.
it was one of the movies she had on her Christmas list. the other was Giant. i also got her the Quiet Man and McClintock. she got me The Shootist, Rio Lobo, Rio Grande and The Sons Of Katie Elder. my wife is as much a John Wayne fan as i am. she loves the western channel on tv. yeah, she's a keeper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.