Marlin Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! New to the forum and Marlins, and was hoping to get some insight. I got my first Marlin (a JM 1895 450) through the passing of a dear friend and mentor of mine. Was given a couple boxes of ammo along with the gun, and a month ago I took it to the range for the first time. Now I’ve been in to shooting on and off ever since I was a kid, but I’d never shot a lever action before. Might as well have tried crack for the first time, because I was addicted. Loads of fun. Anyway, fast forward another couple weeks and I now have a 2014 1894 44 mag. Mint condition. Got it for $1000, new in box with manual, hardcase, and a box of ammo (blazer aluminum case). I’ll let you guys be the judge of wether I got a fair deal. Keep in mind I bought this with plinking at the range and maybe hunting in the future in mind. While I’m relatively new to working on guns, I am mechanically minded (aircraft mechanic by trade) and actually prefer the challenge of tinkering/modding/improving. If it’s not perfect cosmetically I couldn’t care less. If it’s something I can pull apart, get to understand and marvel at how it works, tweak a few things, and put it back together working better then before I’m happy. Heck, just pulling stuff apart for the sake of knowing how it works makes me happy. With that in mind, Couple things I noticed when I got it home. Little bit of a poor fit of the stock to the receiver as compared to the 1895. Not a big deal to me if this is just cosmetic, and it seems to be tight all around. Sights seem low quality, front sight looks off center, which seems kind of off putting for how much these guns are supposed to be worth. Still not an issue, since I was planning on replacing with skinner sights anyway. Action seems pretty smooth, but I’ll have to get some higher quality ammo to cycle through it. That aluminum stuff seems like it doesn’t work very well. Although I could be wrong there and it might be the gun at fault. Anyway, would appreciate y’all’s thoughts, and any suggestions for parts to replace/tweak to make it more reliable. And although I don’t intend on getting into CAS, (yet) I wouldn’t mind any beginner tips on slicking up the action a bit. Got too handle a Henry in store recently, and say what you will, but that action is glass. Would love for mine to feel like that eventually. Also, any recommendations for specialty tools required to work on them would be great. Thanks guys!

· Super Moderator
103 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Forum. Sorry to read about the passing of your good friend. That 1895 you inherited sounds like a really nice firearm.

Also sounds like the 1894 you acquired is not a JM Marlin but is a Remlin Marlin. If so, that's probably why the poor fit of the stock to receiver. Many Remlin buyers used to complain about things like that. Otherwise, sounds like you got yourself a good shooter.

Sounds like you're on top of things too if, like you mentioned, you're going to be replacing the sights with Skinners.

Only advice I have to offer is to make sure you don't over oil these guns. A small drop or 2 will suffice. Also, the excess oil will eventually end up draining down to the wood & degrade it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Marlin Forum. Sorry to read about the passing of your good friend. That 1895 you inherited sounds like a really nice firearm.

Also sounds like the 1894 you acquired is not a JM Marlin but is a Remlin Marlin. If so, that's probably why the poor fit of the stock to receiver. Many Remlin buyers used to complain about things like that. Otherwise, sounds like you got yourself a good shooter.

Sounds like you're on top of things too if, like you mentioned, you're going to be replacing the sights with Skinners.

Only advice I have to offer is to make sure you don't over oil these guns. A small drop or 2 will suffice. Also, the excess oil will eventually end up draining down to the wood & degrade it.
Understood, thanks! I applied a couple drops the bolt with it opened, smeared it around, cycled the action several times, and then opened the bolt and removed all the excess with a paper towel. Did I overdo it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts