New gun!!! (for me)

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by Gumpy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Def not new!!! A neighbor, who's land joins mine gave me a gun!! Attatched is pictures of a 8x56r Steyr-Mannlicher bolt action. I have never seen a rifle with a bolt action that pulls straight back and not in the 'L' configuration. I have some 200gr. cartridges for it. Supposed to have a muzzle velocity of 2400f/s. Have not shot it yet. I'm gonna wait until deer season is over before I do any shooting. Don't wanna scare the deer!!! lol This is going to be a good project gun. The wood is going to be refinished and hopefully the metal work reblued, at least will remove the rust(not to bad)from it. Took it apart last night and cleaned it and man was it filthy!!

Attached Files:

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That is a pretty nice gift. Never owned one but from what I hear, they are a very accurate rifle. I hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks for sharing. Like the photo.

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Never seen one. I was wondedring with the straight pull how the bolt rotated and locked. Looked up the diagram...Interesting design. I like things that make me research. Let us know how it shoots, from what I read (can't always beleive it) the recoil gets your attention.....;)

4. Gumpy

That thing is like a rocket launcher!!!! Almost wrapped my shoulder around my neck! lol It was almost dark when I shot it so only shot once. Looks like it's about 3" high at 50 yds. When I shoot a three group I'll post it. Cartridges are hard to find and pretty pricey. Gonna check on Hornady and see how much they run. I'mlike you SWO1 on the bolt. Numerich had a schematic on it and the end of the bolt mechanism rotates when it has run home. Pretty neat!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Talk about history...real nice score Gumpy !!

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Great score! I was gonna' warn you that I heard they kick pretty hard! I have a Swiss K31 that is a straight pull but I haven't gotten it out to the range yet.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Those Swiss K31s have been making a notable showing at the Annual NRA Rifle Matches at Camp Perry. Very accurate and a real contender in the Vintage Rifle Class. There is one team that dresses in the Vintage Swiss Military Uniforms. Pretty cool.

9. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Thats a fine old bolt gun, I`ve never seen one. I hope you enjoy the project and show it off when its all done. I saw a comment that it kicks a bit. are you putting a re-coil pad on or leaving it original?

10. Gumpy

I'm going to leave it all original. I fired 10 rounds out of it today, and it's not as bad as I thought after I got used to it. Even with the steel butplate! The only problem is that it shoots to high. At 75 yds its about 10 inches high, with a 2.25 spread. At 150yds it didn't even hit the plywood! Gotta figure out what to do.

11. oldbrass

The shot group is good and thats a very good sign

12. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

13. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

The old 03 Springfield I inherited (given to me at age 13 by my father) had the same sorta condition when he bought it in 1961. Solution was to braze-build the front site up, since it was hitting way high the way it was. It's been dead on ever since for eyes that can focus. Good for me to the 100 yd mark, but beyond that would be a chance of crippling a deer. Can't get eye wear that works with the focal distance required. Darn.

Give the build up idea a try. It looks a little odd with the gold tone of brass up front, but unless you're planning on making that old tool of war into something special...wouldn't affect much.

14. Gumpy

I think I'm gonna play with it! Been looking online for some sort of rings/adapter plate for a scope. I never thought about making the front sight higher. Good idea even if I do put a scope on it. Thanks!!!!

15. oldbrass

Gumpy whats the history on that rifle? Is it a military rifle, if so what years was it in service?

16. Gumpy

I've got a couple of books that I am reading thru and doing some research on line. When I'm done I'm thinking on writing an article. The hstory is pretty neat!!

17. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Your welcome on for my humble suggestion. Keep us informed. GOOD DAY!

18. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

A lot of the old military rifles had battle sights set at from 200-400 yds. My US Enfield 1917 is 400. The ladder has a setting for 200 but not real accurate with it. Without working the sights just have take a LOT of front sight blade for short yardage. Should be a lot of fun workin with it......:)

The formula the Marine Corps uses to set battle sights is.....1000 inches (27.7777 yards) is equal to 200 yards. This worked for the M14 as well as the M16. Not 100% for every rifle but it should get you on paper.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  19. Gumpy

Thanks, thats great info! The rear sights on this has been tack welded on. I'm looking for a replacement for it and gonna try that first. Looks like someone lost the screw and just tacked it on. The screw is harder to find than the sight!

20. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

Its a Steyr Mannlicher M1895 Straight pull rifle. Wikipedia has a lot of information. Most ammo for it is surplus Nazi ammo but I believe Hornady makes hunting ammo for it. In a short carbine it does around 2000-2100 which is Marlin 35 Rem ballistics. You have to have the enbloc clip or its a singleshot.

Last edited: May 8, 2013