Marlin Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum from Wyoming. I am looking for a Marlin lever action in .357. The range I go to only permits handgun caliber long guns in their indoor range. I do not hunt, but I do enjoy target shooting. I do not wish to spend four figures on a lever action that would basically be a recreational target gun. I have seen advertised Marlin "Made in New Haven" Marlin 1894C .357 mag and was wondering if a serial # 91080273 is prior to Remington's ownership of Marlin. Do Marlin lever action rifles made in New Haven made with original Marlin pre-Remington quality?

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
I would say that if you're finding any authentic Marlin (pre Remington) for a price under 4 figures, like you stated, then I would surely scrutinize the hell out of it before I plunked any money down. You've surely noticed how much the JM Marlins are going for on Gunbroker, used or otherwise so caveat emptor.

Couldn't say one way or the other about the serial # series you posted but have you looked into any Rossi leverguns in .357 caliber? When you can find them, they tend to be much less expensive than Marlins and they're very good little shooters to boot. Finish isn't as nice as on a Marlin but everything else is. Ruger may be planning on producing a .357 Marlin in the future but if they do you can be assured that they won't be cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goldtrigger, thank you for your input. Yes, I have looked at a very nice used Rossi at a gun show in Greely Colorado last Saturday. It was a beauty in stainless steel, but at the time I thought it was a bit high for a used Rossi. The vendor had a sign inviting an offer, but said he didn't really want to sell it. He really turned me off. As I said in my earlier post, the rifle would only be used at the indoor range, so a Henry or Ruger made Marlin, etc. would be more than I want to invest. As far as GunBroker goes, I stopped using them as their communication skills are non-existent and resolving a problem is like pulling teeth. I will go to some more gun shows and look for lever actions.

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
Yeah, that's funny about the guy "selling" the Rossi at a "gun show." If he really didn't want to sell it then I wonder what the heck he was doing displaying it as such? Maybe he really did want to sell it but not at the offer level he was getting.

What you say about Gunbroker is true. I only use them to see what the going price is on any given firearm. Also, haven't checked on what the going prices are on Rossi leverguns either. Assumed they would be less than a Marlin but I could be very wrong about that one.

Well, I wish you well in your search for an affordable range levergun. Gun prices have gone nuts lately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And it is also likely that a new model Ruger/Marlin 1894 will have a rebounding hammer instead of a half-cock safety hammer like the Old model JM Marlins.

Personally, I would prefer to look for an older Marlin rather than buy any of the new crop of leverguns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts