Marlin Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined up and 'aka' said maybe you guys can help me identify my Dad's Marlin. I'm so sorry but all I have is lousy cell phone pictures that probably won't help you at all but I will post them anyway.

This is what is printed on the Marlin in question.
The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven, Conn S.A. Est. 1875
Model 81-DL .22 cal-S-L-LR

And here are the lousy pictures. I know it is a very old rifle. I have never seen sights like this Marlin has, but then again, I am quite a newby to the gun world. Also, I have removed the rust from this rifle with 0000 steel wool dipped in some oil. I have also learned to undo 'that big screw' and take the barrel off the stock to further clean the barrel.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I just joined up and 'aka' said maybe you guys can help me identify my Dad's Marlin. I'm so sorry but all I have is lousy cell phone pictures that probably won't help you at all but I will post them anyway.

This is what is printed on the Marlin in question.
The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven, Conn S.A. Est. 1875
Model 81-DL .22 cal-S-L-LR

And here are the lousy pictures. I know it is a very old rifle. I have never seen sights like this Marlin has, but then again, I am quite a newby to the gun world. Also, I have removed the rust from this rifle with 0000 steel wool dipped in some oil. I have also learned to undo 'that big screw' and take the barrel off the stock to further clean the barrel.
Windy, breaking it down, it's a Model 81, the DL could mean deluxe, but i will have to check further for sure. 22 rimfire and shoots shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges.

looks like you did a fantastic job cleaning it up! good job. maybe some of our more knowledgeable members will chime in and help us determine more information on that rifle.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Windy, breaking it down, it's a Model 81, the DL could mean deluxe, but i will have to check further for sure. 22 rimfire and shoots shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges.

looks like you did a fantastic job cleaning it up! good job. maybe some of our more knowledgeable members will chime in and help us determine more information on that rifle.
Any opinion or knowledge on those sights? They are adjustable with a thumb screw.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does it have a serial # on it ? If so you can use X's for the last couple of numbers but include any letters ;) If not I just ran across this with a quick google search ( so take with a grain of salt , but may be helpfull )

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-149215.html

One of the posts there says this
Polishrifleman
July 29, 2005, 02:36 PM

Model 81 1937-40
Model 81E 1937-40
Model 81C 1940-70
Model 81DL 1940-1965
Model 81G 1960-65 May be marked Glenfield as well.

Straight out of the Blue Book, hopefully that will help.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
345 Posts
And it seems that some were made with a clip ( detachable ) magazine , and most had a tube magazine. Hard to tell from your pics which style you have .

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts