New Marlin XT-17VO , no accuracy

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by mrwintr, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

PLEASE let us all know what kind of service they render and what they fixed or replaced. I think we'd all like to know whether or not Marlin has been soured by Remy. Best wishes for a permanent fix.

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I hate to Bash Marlin on a Marlin forum, I hope they get it fixed for you..There`s just no excuse for a modern rifle to have these problems.That said all makers have issues time to time..Best of luck on this

3. Irish_OD

Irish_OD New Member

We shoot 17HMR's in competition and the new Marlin barrels are not keeping a group no matter what you do. We have gone through three new barrels recently and none worked out. It is sad because I have been very dominant at the 50 yard line with my 91th stainless fluted marlin on a custom stock and trigger.

The new Marlins are not near as accurate as the old ones. Our group has shifted to Savage and CZ. I am still winning with my Marlins but when it is time to get a new one I will be very hesitant to stay with Marlin. They really need to take a close look at their product and get their customer base happen.

By the way I am from Kentucky and it saddens me to know that those barrels are made here in the bluegrass.

4. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Still waiting!!:mad:
    I called last week and they said they are replacing the rifle, I asked how long will it take at this point to receive the replacement and they said another 3-4 weeks...:eek: Are you kiddin' me, they said they are on order or backordered...something like that. I said how can you not have any if you make them?? Wow, really lousy situation.
    And after reading the post that Irish_OD made I don't expect it to be a shooter anymore than the original.... Maybe...? Fingers crossed.

5. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

My rifle is back...

My dealer got my replaced rifle back yesterday. When I picked it up I noticed that the scope was just thrown on it loose, so I don't see that they actually fired it or sighted it like they claim, but I just got done putting a set of Warne rings and a new BSA Catseye 4-16x44 scope on it. I will take it out to the range later today and give it a try.
    I have 5 different boxes of ammo to try out of it. I am not getting my hopes up after reading Irish_OD's post, but we shall see.

6. scout4army

scout4army New Member

I know this is an older post but my XT-17 shoots like shit, and I have done everything that you have done. I know it's not human error I was a SDM in Iraq, and have shot rifles all my life. What did you end up doing to fix your problem?

7. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I had dealer send the rifle back with targets at various distances showing the crappy scattered points of impact, with a note and after a few weeks they sent back a new rifle and admitted there was a fault with the original, but they didn't go into detail about what they found, they just replaced it. I was actually amazed that they did replace it.
    The new one I got back did group quite well, but I have since learned that you are only going to get the accuracy that any .17 HMR ammo will give you. I am finding that there is no such thing as Match grade .17 HMR, the ammunition of every brand out there and in ever weight varies big time. It varies in OAL, weight and rim thickness and consistency.

Good luck

8. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I got an email form this Marlin forum....

The email said," If you get a moment drop in and let us know what you’ve been up to." So, here I am to tell you the next adventure in the world of my Marlin XT-17. After receiving a replacement the rifle shot much better groups. The trigger was set extremely light though....I was kind of surprised how light it was coming from the factory, 1/2 pound! I disassembled it to make an adjustment to the trigger tension because it was actually dangerously light. When I loosened the jam nut for the adjustment screw, the screw was immediately loose and wobbling in its hole. When I started to back the screw out, it fell out with 4 threads full of aluminum or what ever kind of alloy that trigger housing is made of. It was factory stripped! I called Marlin and told them what was going on with the trigger and told them I will not be shooting this gun anymore until I can replace the trigger housing and get the trigger to a safer poundage. The woman I spoke with had no problem with sending me a new trigger housing, in fact she didn't even seem surprised, but they didn't have one in stock...."backordered" she said. I asked how the manufacturer of the item could have this part backordered and I didn't get any real answer to that.
    I called after 30 days and was told they are still on backorder. I called after another 30 days and got the same answer again. I am pretty sure it will be 3 months next week that I have been waiting for this trigger housing to be available.
    One explanation I got was that all of their triggers had to be used in their back log of rifles that needed to be built. I think they should take care of the customers they already have and make things right with the guns already sold, especially the ones that they send out in an unsafe condition.
    They don't care about you or your rifle or it's quality, the bottom line is MONEY! All this company cares about is money. I will never buy another new firearm from Marlin or any part of Freedom group again!
    Thanks for the email giving me a chance to explain what I have been up to.

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I bloodywell hope that the XT is a good rifle, I have just ordered a 15 shot tube stainless one in .22, and just waiting for my permit to come n from the Police. It should be here any day.

Have you tried letting someone else try your setup ?
    A mate of mine couldn't hit consistently @ 50 meters, with his .22.
    I was under the impression that the scope was the culprit, so I wound it a full 2 turns to the left, and a full turn down. I had a shot, and did a 4 shot cloverleaf, just 2" from the initial hit points.
    That was with a Nikon Nighteater.
    Re-zeroed it to 50 meters, and he took it out again, on the "bunnies", and missed everything, again.

He went and put on a Ziess 3*9 on it for $580, and now he never misses.

Have you tried it with a good scope yet ?
    It might pay !

10. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I really think you need to go back through some of the previous posts. I have no problems grouping with any gun that is capable and that isn't even the issue now...the first gun was replaced, the replacement can group much better, but you are limited by the .17HMR ammo as it is very inconsistent, and it doesn't matter what brand or weight, they are all a far cry from "Match grade". You may have very good luck with your .22 , especially if you use the quality Match grade ammo, like Lapua or Eley.
    My big problem is that Marlin and really everything that is part of Freedom group has gone way down in quality....I think they forgot that they are building Firearms....firearms should never be shipped out in an unsafe condition or in an inaccurate condition. Firearm companies used to build guns right and then attempt profit, now it is, " build it and get it out the door, who cares if they are correct or safe."

11. NEDuramax

NEDuramax New Member

No F'ng way, I just bought one from a guy tonight, took the stock off to clean the oil off and wow, same problem, but this trigger is right around 3 pounds, so im going to shoot it and call them monday to have em send me a new trigger assembly as well. I have a friend who is a gunsmith maybe he can tap threads in it in the meantime just to be safe

12. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I have been waiting now for about 4 months and have called every 30 days asking where the trigger assy. is....they keep saying they don't have any to send me. I am furious over this and will NEVER BUY A NEW MARLIN AGAIN!!

13. NEDuramax

NEDuramax New Member

Just retap ur threads, did it this morning mine is fixed. I believe it was 3/16x32

14. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Yup, I could have done that (and I still might) But that ain't the point....the friggin' manufacturer can't even come up with a replacement part they said they would send me almost 4 months ago.....that is unacceptable!

15. NEDuramax

NEDuramax New Member

I agree completely, but after seeing your troubles and knowing that i wouldn't get mine for a long time i just went ahead and did it

16. Irish_OD

Irish_OD New Member

I am sorry to say but the gun is the problem. I shoot competitively with a Stainless 917. The two barrels that I use were made on CONN. another shooter that also used marlins purchased a new Bull Barreled marlin and could not get it to group. Sent it back and they gave him a new gun. After the third gun marlin was out of the competition. I am now the only shooter with Marlin barrels. When it comes time to re tool I will probably move to CZ. The Mayfield barrels have not been accurate for competition. All of our rifles are custom tweaked and benched with professional rests. If we used them only for varmint they would be good enough but in heads up competition they are outclassed by Savage, CZ, Ruger and Anschutz. I keep shooting my Marlin barreled rifles and have done well with them. Last season I dominated the 50m and always placed at the 100. I hope they last a little longer and just maybe Marlin will fix the quality problem in the Mayfield plant.

17. Irish_OD

Irish_OD New Member

I should have stated in my first post that I am not a discontented Conn. worker bashing Marlin. There are enough of those posts already out there. Actually I am from Kentucky and it hurts us to see the Mayfield facility have to take such a beating. I want to buy a gun made in the Bluegrass but I also want to buy a winner.

18. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Not sure why you started with this sentence....? Were you intending to quote someone's comment that the gun wasn't the problem, I think most here agree that it is the gun.

19. Irish_OD

Irish_OD New Member

This hurts me to write. I am from Kentucky and have used Marlin SS bull barrels in my custom bench 17HMR’s. I shoot competitively and have dominated the 50-yard line for some time. These barrels shoot one raggedy hole. At 100 yards, it is never over ¼”.
    Other shooters in our group switched to Marlin barrels and experienced that same problem as you. We went through 6 barrels and no improvement. These are not amateur shooters and we even switched shooters to see if the shooter was just having a bad day. After much discussion with Marlin and other shooters we discovered that t he barrel on my 917 was produced in Conn. The new barrels were from Mayfield Kentucky. The new barrels are out of the exacting tolerance needed to shoot a good group.
    My barrels are still working well and I will continue to use them until they start to stray. When it comes time for me to get a new rifle, I will probably go to CZ or Savage. I would like to stay with Marlin but not at the expense of losing.
    By the way; those shooters I spoke of all went to other barrels and are starting to push me hard. To give you an idea of how accurate the old barrels are, I shot a 200_16X with my 50-yard gun in a match.
    My suggestion is to check the side of the barrel to see where it was manufactured and if it was Mayfield, get rid of it.
    Sorry for the bad news. You are doing nothing wrong it is the rifle.

20. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I just called Remington/Marlin

I have now been waiting for a Trigger assy. for my XT.17HMR for over 5 months now and the woman on the phone just told me they still have no idea when they will be available. I worked in manufacturing for years and if you don't have parts you build them, if you can't build them you buy them from someone who can build them, ....you don't leave customers hanging for months waiting for parts that they were supposed to get within 30 days. Marlin has gone down hill bad!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013